Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I mean, Edinburgh always scores really high in all the rankings, and it's free as well. There are about 60 000 applicants a year. In maths, for instance, Edinburgh is fifth in the UK, and its offer for the IB is 37 points and 655 at HL. How do they select their students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whoskal)
    I mean, Edinburgh always scores really high in all the rankings, and it's free as well. There are about 60 000 applicants a year. In maths, for instance, Edinburgh is fifth in the UK, and its offer for the IB is 37 points and 655 at HL. How do they select their students?
    This is probably for 1st year entry, as Scottish students go to Uni a year earlier compared to the ones from England/Wales, so you should look for 2nd year entry..

ReputationRep:
    Apart from that, I am assuming that they are putting a lot on weight on the personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whoskal)
    I wouldn't say 37 is that low.

ReputationRep:
    For the scottish students they are low.
    When they say AAA-ABB, the lowest is usually for scottish or international students. English students are likely to always get an AAA offer.

ReputationRep:
    Because they have a lot of undergraduate places, a lower portion of international students, and international league tables don't take entry tariff into account.

(Original post by lizmoo0721)
    For the scottish students they are low.
    When they say AAA-ABB, the lowest is usually for scottish or international students. English students are likely to always get an AAA offer.
    This is not true- Scottish students are not given lower offers than anyone else ( and they would not be offered ABB as this is for A levels and Scottish students are offering Highers !)

if you look on the page for maths on the Edinburgh University page it shows the typical offer as
    SQA Highers (Scottish ) as AAAA
    A levels AAA
    International IB: 37 points

The MINIMUM entry requirements are also quoted for all students. You are only like to get the lower minimum offer if you have some sort of contexual factors involved in your application.

In fact it could be argued that Scottish student are less likely to get a low offer as the university only gets a certain amount of funding from the Scottish Government for Scottish students so they number of places they can offer will be limited

International students often can get lower offers because they bring with them larges amounts of money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watchingyouwatch)
    This is not true- Scottish students are not given lower offers than anyone else ( and they would not be offered ABB as this is for A levels and Scottish students are offering Highers !)

if you look on the page for maths on the Edinburgh University page it shows the typical offer as
    SQA Highers (Scottish ) as AAAA
    A levels AAA
    International IB: 37 points

The MINIMUM entry requirements are also quoted for all students. You are only like to get the lower minimum offer if you have some sort of contexual factors involved in your application.

In fact it could be argued that Scottish student are less likely to get a low offer as the university only gets a certain amount of funding from the Scottish Government for Scottish students so they number of places they can offer will be limited

International students often can get lower offers because they bring with them larges amounts of money!
    I was a contextual applicant and still got asked for AAA.

(Original post by lizmoo0721)
    I was a contextual applicant and still got asked for AAA.
    That is because contextual candidates CAN get a lower offer it doesn't mean they will. This is true for all candidates not just English ones.

You are assessed as an individual and all your circumstances taken into account. I know of a contextual candidate from Scotland who were also asked for AAAA in Highers which proves nothing. Both that and your offer were based on your individual applications.

I hope you made you offer and got to Edinburgh but please don't tell people that it is somehow much easier for Scottish candidates because it isn't true

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.