Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does anybody know if any famous non-religious believers - to religious conversions? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to come up with cases in which non-religious, or just non-christians in general had converted to christianity,

Do Saul-Paul count? if so i have already made my case with him, i was just wondering if people knew of any other people and could quickly explain them?

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    Alister McGrath.

Anthony Flew (major atheist of 20th century but only converted to Deism, not Christianity. However he has gone new to say that the Resurrection is the best attested miracle in history and was close to pulling him to Christianity)

Lee Strobel

John Warwick Montgomery

Francis Collins

C.S Lewis

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    However the above were atheists.

For non Christians.

Nabeel Qureshi was Muslim.

Oh an Peter van Inwagen is a pretty big philosopher in America who converted from Atheism to Christianity.

William Lane Craig did when he was younger

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have never personally seen a list constructed of famous people who have 'converted' to atheism. Is it the case that atheists in general care less about converts?

ReputationRep:
    The man who wrote 'The Language of God'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by childofthesun)
    The man who wrote 'The Language of God'
    C.S. Lewis possibly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrappy-coco)
    Alister McGrath.

Anthony Flew (major atheist of 20th century but only converted to Deism, not Christianity. However he has gone new to say that the Resurrection is the best attested miracle in history and was close to pulling him to Christianity)

Lee Strobel

John Warwick Montgomery

Francis Collins

C.S Lewis

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes! i was planning on focusing on C.S. Lewis, and Anthony Flew - This may be a silly question but do you know anything about deism in general? i've never studied the term before but i have heard of it and know about Anthony Flew- thank you for the help! Because all the other names given can help in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambergraver)
    C.S. Lewis possibly?
    or maybe Francis Collins - either way thank you!

One that hasn't been mentioned so far is Reza Aslan, surprisingly. He actually converted twice. He was raised as a Muslim, briefly converted to Christianity in his youth, and then converted back to Islam, writing a book entitled Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth. Talk about consistency. :lol:

I would've said C. S. Lewis but just about everybody else has said it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    I have never personally seen a list constructed of famous people who have 'converted' to atheism. Is it the case that atheists in general care less about converts?
    Interesting point - care to elaborate? I love hearing people's views it widens my own! If not thank you for the comment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    Atheism is, generally, a personal thing. It is not a religion or belief system in its own right, it is the absence of one.

However, there are the evangelical atheists who preach atheism who are, to my mind, as bad as the JWs and the Mormons. Likewise the humanists who can be a right pain in the backside, seeking converts to save.

Yes! i was planning on focusing on C.S. Lewis, and Anthony Flew - This may be a silly question but do you know anything about deism in general? i've never studied the term before but i have heard of it and know about Anthony Flew- thank you for the help! Because all the other names given can help in future.
    Deism is the belief in a non-interventionist creator, based primarily on the argument from design (that nature is too perfectly ordered to not imply a creative force). It's basically theism minus all the certainties about god. It's important not to confuse it with agnosticism, which is quite literally saying that we don't know and that we can't know either way. Deism just says that a creator is likely, but that we cannot know more about him, and certainly not as much as theism implies.

Sorry for rambling; deism is, in my view, the noblest of beliefs when it comes to believing in creators.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Deism is the belief in a non-interventionist creator, based primarily on the argument from design (that nature is too perfectly ordered to not imply a creative force). It's basically theism minus all the certainties about god. It's important not to confuse it with agnosticism, which is quite literally saying that we don't know and that we can't know either way. Deism just says that a creator is likely, but that we cannot know more about him, and certainly not as much as theism implies.

Sorry for rambling; deism is, in my view, the noblest of beliefs when it comes to believing in creators.
    No need to apologise at all that's perfect, thank you so much! I love learning new things like this haha!

ReputationRep:
    Deism is the belief in an impersonal God.

One that does not intervene, does not cause miracles or answer prayers. Doesn't have any personal interest in humanity at all.

Many deists seem to see this type of God in a very similar manner to Aristotle's prime mover - they tend not to believe in an afterlife either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrappy-coco)
    Deism is the belief in an impersonal God.

One that does not intervene, does not cause miracles or answer prayers. Doesn't have any personal interest in humanity at all.

Many deists seem to see this type of God in a very similar manner to Aristotle's prime mover - they tend not to believe in an afterlife either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! really nice explanation

ReputationRep:
    One that hasn't been mentioned so far is Reza Aslan, surprisingly. He actually converted twice. He was raised as a Muslim, briefly converted to Christianity in his youth, and then converted back to Islam, writing a book entitled Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth. Talk about consistency. :lol:

I would've said C. S. Lewis but just about everybody else has said it.
    nice thank you! i'll try read about him sounds interesting!

nice thank you! i'll try read about him sounds interesting!
    Oh, do you not know who he is? You're in for some surprises. :mmm: He's the Sam Harris of Islam.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, do you not know who he is? You're in for some surprises. :mmm: He's the Sam Harris of Islam.
    No i haven't heard of him!! i'm sure my teacher will know though, she's kind of a genius when it comes to people.

No i haven't heard of him!! i'm sure my teacher will know though, she's kind of a genius when it comes to people.
    You'll enjoy reading about him. He's not quite the conventional Muslim who believes that everything in the Koran is literally true; he accepts that Jesus was crucified, for example, as opposed to taking the normal line of Islam and saying that Jesus was lifted to heaven by Allah and a doppelganger was put in his place and crucified.

ReputationRep:
    Feser is a superb writer on Aquinas and a very good philosopher in general who used to be an atheist.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.