Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to do REALLY well in AS levels? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking as level French, Psychology and Sociology.
    I'm aiming for b's and a's, and I'm gonna start revising after october half term? how do i get these grades? I'm not sure how to revise, how long for and stuff like that. it's really important to me as i want to go to university in America.
    ANY suggestions are enormously appreciated, thanks

ReputationRep:
    work hard and don't fall behind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliceronson)
    I'm aiming for b's and a's, and I'm gonna start revising after october half term? how do i get these grades? I'm not sure how to revise, how long for and stuff like that. it's really important to me as i want to go to university in America.
    I'm currently applying to university in the States so if you want any advice on that, ask away.

As for your A-Levels, just work hard and stay on top of things. Don't start 'revising' in October half-term because there is legitimately no point, that's stupidly early and you've barely touched the surface of your courses. Give it time. I would begin prepping to revise around February or March.

ReputationRep:
    WHY THE HELL ARE YOU GOING TO BE REVISING IN HALF TERM

Yeah use it to consolidate everything you've done and make revision notes for later, but don't revise! That's like 4 months too early lol.

ReputationRep:
    find a revision technique that works for you, there is no point in spending hours making notes if you're not going to read them. explore different ideas such as flashcards, mind maps, answering questions ect. also if you are really serious about getting A's you should have already started revising and be doing around 5hrs for each subject per week, you should use your half term to get ahead with your revision and I know that the exams seem far away and it doesn't matter if you don't start right now but trust me when I say that if you don't get ahead of it, it will soon be exam time and you will be panicking

ReputationRep:
    A 60-day streak on Duolingo a month or two before exams seemed to serve me decently in French.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just ask which exam boards for Psychology and Sociology? I do both and got high AS Grades so I might be able to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    Can I just ask which exam boards for Psychology and Sociology? I do both and got high AS Grades so I might be able to help.
    hey they are AQA i believe!

ReputationRep:
    hey they are AQA i believe!
    Ah right I did AQA Sociology and got an A at AS (still stunned)
    I did really struggle with it though. I made mind maps of each sub-topic, cards for the key words and for each sociologist and copied up all my notes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    Ah right I did AQA Sociology and got an A at AS (still stunned)
    I did really struggle with it though. I made mind maps of each sub-topic, cards for the key words and for each sociologist and copied up all my notes.

yeah I'm finding it so hard literally have no idea what I'm gonna do. when did you start revision, how long did you revise for and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    I did mostly essay based subjects too, including sociology and got AABC in my AS levels
    I didn't really just go through textbooks and just 'revise' anything.

I went through all the past exam papers early on, printed every single past question off with their mark schemes and examiners notes. I made note of what questions regularly came up and revised these topics inside out. Also making note of how they were answered.

I also looked at the official exam board syllabus so I knew which content could possibly come up so I knew I was revising relevant stuff, I constructed and created practice essay answers for these topics and attempted the essays, eventually under timed conditions, as much as possible throughout the term (we had january exams then)
    By the time the exams came round, I opened up the booklet and I'd already answered the questions many times before and raced through it.

This of course is a risk in case a question comes up that hasn't before. But if it's something like sociology the same things pretty much come up every 3 years, it's just worded differently. So basically just know your topics inside out.

This can easily be done by remembering names of sociologists (this was my priority in these exams) Make sure you know at least 13 theorists names for every essay that you do for an A. Early on, figure out their last names and what they said. And remember them by making mind-maps, videos, ipod recordings for your commute and usings colours and pictures that trigger your memory.

For my A2 sociology I knew about 60 different names and what they said and almost got full marks (in the 95+ on both exams out of 100)

Seriously, don't blag it just by reading textbooks and not taking anything in; concentrate on names, theories, past exam papers and the syllabus. Try to include as many statistics as you can, if you can't remember them just make them up and you'll still get a mark as long as it's close to the truth. Pretty sure all this also applies to psychology too.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    yeah I'm finding it so hard literally have no idea what I'm gonna do. when did you start revision, how long did you revise for and stuff?
    I didn't spend a set amount of time revising a day - I revised when I felt I didn't know enough. I started Sociology in the Easter Holidays but I wrote up my notes after each lesson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliendays)
    I did mostly essay based subjects too, including sociology and got AABC in my AS levels
    I didn't really just go through textbooks and just 'revise' anything.

I went through all the past exam papers early on, printed every single past question off with their mark schemes and examiners notes. I made note of what questions regularly came up and revised these topics inside out. Also making note of how they were answered.

I also looked at the official exam board syllabus so I knew which content could possibly come up so I knew I was revising relevant stuff, I constructed and created practice essay answers for these topics and attempted the essays, eventually under timed conditions, as much as possible throughout the term (we had january exams then)
    By the time the exams came round, I opened up the booklet and I'd already answered the questions many times before and raced through it.

This of course is a risk in case a question comes up that hasn't before. But if it's something like sociology the same things pretty much come up every 3 years, it's just worded differently. So basically just know your topics inside out.

This can easily be done by remembering names of sociologists (this was my priority in these exams) Make sure you know at least 13 theorists names for every essay that you do for an A. Early on, figure out their last names and what they said. And remember them by making mind-maps, videos, ipod recordings for your commute and usings colours and pictures that trigger your memory.

For my A2 sociology I knew about 60 different names and what they said and almost got full marks (in the 95+ on both exams out of 100)

Seriously, don't blag it just by reading textbooks and not taking anything in; concentrate on names, theories, past exam papers and the syllabus. Try to include as many statistics as you can, if you can't remember them just make them up and you'll still get a mark as long as it's close to the truth. Pretty sure all this also applies to psychology too.

Good luck!
    wow thanks for such a detailed answer! i will definitely be using your suggestions well done on your results btw!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.