The Student Room Group

helppppppp, difficult maths question

Can any one help me with this maths problem? Any help would be useful, thanks

AC=16cm
Angle ABC=90 degrees
Angle CAB= 30 degrees

BC=BD
CD=12cm

Calculate the area of triangle BCD. Give your answer correct to 3 significant figures.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AceOfSpade

AC=16cm
Angle ABC=90 degrees
Angle CAB= 30 degrees

BC=BD
CD=12cm

Calculate the area of triangle BCD. Give your answer correct to 3 significant figures.

Maybe a sketch helps you to understand? so you (and we) can see the coherences of that construction.

From the clues you have given, I would advice you to begin with the triangle ABC and to calculate BC and AB.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kallisto
Maybe a sketch helps you to understand? so you (and we) can see the coherences of that construction.

From the clues you have given, I would advice you to begin with the triangle ABC and to calculate BC and AB.

I hope this helps
Reply 3
Draw a pic then use pithagourous theory ( a^2+b^2=c^2):smile:
Reply 5

I'm not sure. How did you get 32?
h= 16Sin30/Sin90
h=8 then area of triangle BCD= 0.5*8*12*Sin(45) = 33.9
P.s sorry wrong calculation, not 32 but 33.9

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by PlayerBB
h= 16Sin30/Sin90
h=8 then area of triangle BCD= 0.5*8*12*Sin(45) = 33.9
P.s sorry wrong calculation, not 32 but 33.9

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much, i'm not sure if that's the answer because I don't have the answers but thanks anyway
I got 6 root 38
(rushed)
Reply 9
Original post by Scott_dp
I got 6 root 38
(rushed)

How, please?
CB=16sin(30)=8
BC=BD=8
So triangle CBD is isoceles with side lengths 12, 8 and 8 cm.
Use pythagoras to find height:
Root(8^2-6^2)=Root(38)
Area = half base * height = (12/2)*root(38)=6 root 38
Thank you so much, i'm not sure if that's the answer because I don't have the answers but thanks anyway

You're welcome and when you have the answer, post it please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
You're welcome and when you have the answer, post it please

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay
But from the pic you have submitted, it seems that ACD is 90 degrees, if it is the BCD is 30 and therefore since BC=BD the BC= 8 from Pythagoras theorm and sin30*8*12*0.5 = 24 so the area is 24 if the angle is as the pic which is 90

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
But from the pic you have submitted, it seems that ACD is 90 degrees, if it is the BCD is 30 and therefore since BC=BD the BC= 8 from Pythagoras theorm and sin30*8*12*0.5 = 24 so the area is 24 if the angle is as the pic which is 90

Posted from TSR Mobile

They haven't given me the angle for ACD so it does look like 90degrees but I'm not 100% sure
They haven't given me the angle for ACD so it does look like 90degrees but I'm not 100% sure

Hope it is!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

AC=16cm
Angle ABC=90 degrees
Angle CAB= 30 degrees

BC=BD
CD=12cm

I did this really quickly, based on your diagram, check through to make sure the maths is ok
Reply 17
Original post by rede121
I did this really quickly, based on your diagram, check through to make sure the maths is ok

Your maths looks fine to me but I still don't what the answer is because everyone seems to be getting different ones. But thank you so much for your solution and I will post the answer on Wednesday so you can see if you were correct.
Original post by rede121

Is the height of the triangle ABC not 8 as 16sin(30)=8 ? which would result in the height of the other triangle being 2root7
Reply 19
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Is the height of the triangle ABC not 8 as 16sin(30)=8 ? which would result in the height of the other triangle being 2root7

I found that bit wierd because:

if you do sin 30 = opp/ 16 , opp = 8cm
Then via pythag, you get 8 root 3 as the height

However, if you do sohcohtoa twice, both sides become 8cm.

When I checked pythag, 8 root 3 worked so I stuck with that

Quick Reply

Latest