The Student Room Group

Running out of money

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frostyjoe
Really? Well, I can tell you with honesty that the university store is really, really expensive. They don't even have multipacks of anything either so it's very hard to do that.

As an example, they charge £3 for 3 peppers and they also charge £3 for a small jar of thai curry. When I went to the campus café I was charged £8 for Chips/Corn/Donout and a small drink.

Again, not massively expensive but quite a rip off in my opinion. I would find it hard to do £30 a week if I had to buy my shopping each week, I go to the laundrette each week and it is £5 and also the gym at £3 each time.

Solution: Stop shopping in your uni shop?
Really? Well, I can tell you with honesty that the university store is really, really expensive. They don't even have multipacks of anything either so it's very hard to do that.

As an example, they charge £3 for 3 peppers and they also charge £3 for a small jar of thai curry. When I went to the campus café I was charged £8 for Chips/Corn/Donout and a small drink.

Again, not massively expensive but quite a rip off in my opinion. I would find it hard to do £30 a week if I had to buy my shopping each week, I go to the laundrette each week and it is £5 and also the gym at £3 each time.

First of all my weekly shopping comes to £30 for two people and I live in a fairly expensive area. Definitely possible. And that includes cleaning stuff etc you'd need if you live in a flat.

Secondly stop going to university store. You know it's expensive. Why do you keep going? Go to your local supermarket. Lidl, Poundland and Pound stretcher are particularly good.

Finally if you are particularly skint why are you going to the gym? Yes its just £3 at a time but it adds up. You want to exercise? Jogging is free. If you have money for gym then you're not as hard up as you say you are.

Also I can see why your dad doesn't want to help. You need to learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Solution: Stop shopping in your uni shop?

Yeah I'm not going there again! I keep going there because I can't be bothered going to the Tesco down the road.
Hi,

I'm from Northern Ireland and I live in the South of England since September. I get about £400 a month to live on which is fine but my university has given me a lot of charges that I didn't expect to get e.g. lab coats and books that we didn't know about so i'm starting to run out of money.

My accommodation is paid now but I don't have any money left to live on. I am getting paid at the end of the month and I am going home this week. Only problem is I still have a week to live with this budget.

I only have £5 left. It's a very expensive campus I live on, today I bought curry/noodle and a bun and that came to £5, if you think that is expensive ONE burger is £3.50! During the past week I have spent £50 on dinners. Yes I know that was a silly mistake and I will NOT do that again.

I expected everything to be cheap as it is a university but it is not. Tonight I went out and spent £15 on food, I have cereal etc but I don't see this lasting to Friday. Even if it does I need money for a taxi to the train station and money for the laundrette.

I am tired of asking my mother for money, she has spent about £800 on me and she can barely afford that. My father makes an EXTREMELY comfortable salary each year (on a pension) and he will not give me a penny, he thinks that paying half the shopping on the first week was enough. He has zero sympathy for me and keeps telling me that i'm buying expensive stuff, I have tried to budget my money and I have tried to get cheaper stuff but EVERYTHING is a rip off.

I don't really know what to do, I've never been in this situation in my life. My father won't give me any money and I need to pay for the taxi to get home. I don't know where he thinks i'm going to get the money from. He has quite a bit of money so giving me £30 or even £20 won't even make a dent on him.

You need to get a loan from someone for a short period. In the future buy you're meat and groceries from the market cheaply and cook. £50 a month is too much for a week.
Reply 24
Hi,

I'm from Northern Ireland and I live in the South of England since September. I get about £400 a month to live on which is fine but my university has given me a lot of charges that I didn't expect to get e.g. lab coats and books that we didn't know about so i'm starting to run out of money.

My accommodation is paid now but I don't have any money left to live on. I am getting paid at the end of the month and I am going home this week. Only problem is I still have a week to live with this budget.

I only have £5 left. It's a very expensive campus I live on, today I bought curry/noodle and a bun and that came to £5, if you think that is expensive ONE burger is £3.50! During the past week I have spent £50 on dinners. Yes I know that was a silly mistake and I will NOT do that again.

I expected everything to be cheap as it is a university but it is not. Tonight I went out and spent £15 on food, I have cereal etc but I don't see this lasting to Friday. Even if it does I need money for a taxi to the train station and money for the laundrette.

I am tired of asking my mother for money, she has spent about £800 on me and she can barely afford that. My father makes an EXTREMELY comfortable salary each year (on a pension) and he will not give me a penny, he thinks that paying half the shopping on the first week was enough. He has zero sympathy for me and keeps telling me that i'm buying expensive stuff, I have tried to budget my money and I have tried to get cheaper stuff but EVERYTHING is a rip off.

I don't really know what to do, I've never been in this situation in my life. My father won't give me any money and I need to pay for the taxi to get home. I don't know where he thinks i'm going to get the money from. He has quite a bit of money so giving me £30 or even £20 won't even make a dent on him.

I've got a number of ways you can make money but doing so will get me banned of TSR so all I can say is hang in there bud! I'm sure £5 will last you the next 2 months
Reply 25
lol, i'll be fine. I got more money as I said from my mum. I am going home soon anyway.
Dear, For come in a solution you need change location and need to help from bank, You can apply in bank for
stipen.
If you don't have time to cook (or don't know how to cook), there are solutions.

One thing I did back when I was in High School and my Dad wasn't at home for weeks at a time, was just buy a large box of peanut butter crackers. You know, the kind you get in vending machines. You find the best deals if you get something like 45 to a box.

Peanut butter is a good source of protein, so it's actually not the worst thing you could end up eating for weeks at a time. Anyway, what you have to do is just drink tap water when you're thirsty, and eat one packet of six peanut butter crackers for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This technically enough to keep you alive and mentally alert, even if it doesn't make you feel satisfied. Filling up on water is key to fooling your stomach into thinking you're full after eating a package of crackers.

I don't know if you have peanut butter crackers in the UK, but you can replace it with something else that's common in vending machines there. Something with protein, salt, carbohydrates, and sugar you wouldn't normally think of eating for every meal that's really cheap if you buy it in bulk. Sacrificing variety saves a lot of money.

Ideally, if you have enough money left over, you'll want to make sure you take a good multivitamin. You'll probably be fine without them if you can save enough money to get some fresh fruit/vegetables (preferably citrus) within two or three months, but they do help quite a bit when you have to eat the same, low-nutrition foods to get by every day.

If you're not too proud, you can try to find out if there's a cooking class somewhere on campus. Often the food students make is just thrown out or sold very cheaply. Especially if they screw it up and it doesn't taste right. Burnt food and cakes that fail to rise aren't appetizing, but they still have nutritional value. If you know where restaurants, bakeries, or doughnut shops are, once again they often throw out edible food. You can try to talk them into letting you have it really cheap (as they wouldn't profit from stale food anyway), but they often donate it to charity. Still, they might be persuaded to let you have something. I'm not sure if restaurant owners are more or less generous in the UK, but at least here, I've heard of people living off this stuff.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
On Monday I did my monthly food staples shopping at Lidl, for a family of 4, for £35. It included an array of cereal, tinned goods, juices, 10x1kg rice, pasta and loads of frivolous food treat purchases. Only vegetables, fruit, milk and bread need to be topped up throughout the month, at less than a fiver each week, only on some weeks. Plus we have large Sunday roasts so will buy that meat in bulk seperately, but that is an optional extra.

The more I'm reading about your situation OP, the more I'm siding with your dad. However, the flip side is that your parents should have prepared you for independence, so I don't condone the method of his stance at all.

Honestly, there are recipes of some really simple stove top meals you can prepare online. Look at them, make a list, go to the supermarket (the uni store is for emergency buys only).
Someone mentioned rice - if you have an oriental food store nearby, you can pick up 10kg of rice for a reasonable price.

OP - you need to meal plan. Don't go shopping whilst hungry.
Just eat Korean/Indian food all week. Very easy to make. Korean food is very cheap and tasty. Check this recipe out.

You can use all meats. Its hard to find Korean Curry Powder in UK so just use normal curry powder with some cornflour to thicken it.

[video="youtube;QZOWDJcHyIs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZOWDJcHyIs[/video]

Then stop shopping there.

I'm sorry but it's hard to have any sympathy for you.
Point blank you have been silly with your money, people are giving you good advice and you just keep coming up with excuses.

Sort out your spending habits and your attitude or you'll constantly be running to your mum for money.
Reply 32
I'm just going to drop this here again...

40p for a 1kg bag of rice.

I have seen them so far at Lidl, Asda, and Tesco. I cannot see Aldi and Morissons being left out of the mix.
Hi,

Small shops are always more expensive, and the Tesco Express at Fiveways isn't much cheaper. You are best off getting an Asda delivery to campus or going to the Co-op next to the Tesco Express or Morrisons on the other side of town. A burger at £3.50 is similar to what McDonalds charge.
Reply 34
I have sorted out my spending habits. Yesterday I stocked up in bulk with rice and curry etc, I have stopped buying things that I don't need. I think that was one of my main problems.
I have sorted out my spending habits. Yesterday I stocked up in bulk with rice and curry etc, I have stopped buying things that I don't need. I think that was one of my main problems.

You now have to keep that up for the rest of your life

Posted from TSR Mobile
why don't you get a part-time job? you can do as little as 8 hours a week or a few hours at the weekend, there's LOADS of places wanting Xmas staff with little to no experience.. argos, next, body shop, tesco etc
Walking further to get to an ASDA/LIDL/Poundstretchers/etc and carry heavy bags home will be much cheaper than both going to the gym and shopping in your uni shop :smile:
Are you meal planning? I saved a lot (and didn't chuck out as much food) by doing this.
Go to the nearest city or wherever aldi is once a month. Buy lots of ingredients.
If my mum was finding it hard to give me money i would never ask her.
You sound like a spoilt kid, 'too lazy to go to the tesco down the road'. Are you seriously taking the piss?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending