Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HI,
    Im picking my alevels at the moment and I became interested in sociolgy... but i dont know much about it cause i didnt do it for GCSEs and its quite new to me. If someone could tell me... it would be a great help

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 12 and currently doing AS Sociology and I already love it, it's my favourite subject.
    It helps if you have a pre-existing interest in social justice issues (e.g. sexism, racism), or at least I found it did, because it really fuels the interest.
    Although there's quite a lot to remember in terms of key words and theorists/theories, a lot of stuff links quite well together. Plus it's genuinely really interesting so I don't find the learning process tedious at all.
    I'm not sure what exam board you're on though? I'm on OCR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mughushed)
    I'm in Year 12 and currently doing AS Sociology and I already love it, it's my favourite subject.
    It helps if you have a pre-existing interest in social justice issues (e.g. sexism, racism), or at least I found it did, because it really fuels the interest.
    Although there's quite a lot to remember in terms of key words and theorists/theories, a lot of stuff links quite well together. Plus it's genuinely really interesting so I don't find the learning process tedious at all.
    I'm not sure what exam board you're on though? I'm on OCR.
    I find social justice and things really interesting actually! Im OCR (i think)... but i was planning to take sociology along side biology and chemistry sooo do you think i will be able to manage the work load? Is it a lot of essays??

ReputationRep:
    You'll mainly look at different people's perspective on society e.g. Marxists, feminists etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FaithKG)
    I find social justice and things really interesting actually! Im OCR (i think)... but i was planning to take sociology along side biology and chemistry sooo do you think i will be able to manage the work load? Is it a lot of essays??
    Ah that's great then! The fact I was interested in social justice issues,and things like feminism, was what made me want to take Sociology in the first place.I take Biology alongside it, along with English Literature and History, and honestly, in comparison to all my subjects, I find the workload for Sociology the smallest of all 4 subjects. Like, we obviously get homework and essays set, but compared to the other 3 subjects, I find the work that we're set the least time consuming, and generally the most 'enjoyable' to do It's also a good idea to keep up to date with current events, whether it's through watching or reading the news!
    Hope I've been of some help!

ReputationRep:
    HI,
    Im picking my alevels at the moment and I became interested in sociolgy... but i dont know much about it cause i didnt do it for GCSEs and its quite new to me. If someone could tell me... it would be a great help
    Hello!

I'm in year 13 and absolutely love Sociology - it's my favourite subject (though I admit to hating it at the start of last year). I've even applied to take it joint honours at 2 of my university choices! I'm on the AQA Spec though Last year we did Families & Households and Education and this year, Beliefs in Society and Crime & Deviance. It is hard because there are loads of names to remember but it's so interesting! The lesson will come as a relief after the intensity of Bio and Chem, trust me haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    You'll mainly look at different people's perspective on society e.g. Marxists, feminists etc.
    And then just write essays about them? is that what the exams are like

ReputationRep:
    I did Biology, Chemistry and Sociology and Sociology was by FAR the best. I absolutely loved it. A2 Sociology requires a lot of work but if you rwork at it enough and have a good broad understanding of key principles then you can't fail the exam . And don't worry about not doing it at GCSE, I didn't do it at GCSE and got an A* in the A level.

ReputationRep:
    And then just write essays about them? is that what the exams are like
    Yeah so for example if the question was something like 'Describe the role of women in society', you would talk about the fundamentalist view on this e.g. fundamentalists would believe in the traditional gender roles for women, then you could argue against this by bringing in feminists view, and what they would say.

Obviously there's more to this, but that's just a brief idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mughushed)
    Ah that's great then! The fact I was interested in social justice issues,and things like feminism, was what made me want to take Sociology in the first place.I take Biology alongside it, along with English Literature and History, and honestly, in comparison to all my subjects, I find the workload for Sociology the smallest of all 4 subjects. Like, we obviously get homework and essays set, but compared to the other 3 subjects, I find the work that we're set the least time consuming, and generally the most 'enjoyable' to do It's also a good idea to keep up to date with current events, whether it's through watching or reading the news!
    Hope I've been of some help!
    wow that helps loads actually thanks... is history good btw??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    Hello!

I'm in year 13 and absolutely love Sociology - it's my favourite subject (though I admit to hating it at the start of last year). I've even applied to take it joint honours at 2 of my university choices! I'm on the AQA Spec though Last year we did Families & Households and Education and this year, Beliefs in Society and Crime & Deviance. It is hard because there are loads of names to remember but it's so interesting! The lesson will come as a relief after the intensity of Bio and Chem, trust me haha
    thankyouuu... what are the exams like? are they all essays or short answers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chemi5try)
    I did Biology, Chemistry and Sociology and Sociology was by FAR the best. I absolutely loved it. A2 Sociology requires a lot of work but if you rwork at it enough and have a good broad understanding of key principles then you can't fail the exam . And don't worry about not doing it at GCSE, I didn't do it at GCSE and got an A* in the A level.
    Thankyou that helps loads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Yeah so for example if the question was something like 'Describe the role of women in society', you would talk about the fundamentalist view on this e.g. fundamentalists would believe in the traditional gender roles for women, then you could argue against this by bringing in feminists view, and what they would say.

Obviously there's more to this, but that's just a brief idea.
    oh okay thats really intersting!!! thankyou i think i will take sociolgy

ReputationRep:
    thankyouuu... what are the exams like? are they all essays or short answers
    A mixture of both The essays were okay though actually because each question is open to interpretation so as long as you give your interpretation of the question you won't lose any marks. So there's literally more than one right answer.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read what other people have explained but my own experience of sociology has been FANTASTIC!

i'm currently an A2, studying beliefs in society and crime and deviance which i love, but in my first year i did a lot about families and households, and education which were the two main units (a long with research methods) for AQA, there's now a new spec for students just to the AS/A2 movement but i still think you must do similar things- either way it's really enjoyable.

There can be a lot of studies to remember - depending on the way it's taught, you don't need many names at AS but for A2 you do so some teachers throw you into the deep end and flood you with studies.

The main focus is pretty much what society thinks, and what different perspectives think of these. MAIN being; feminists, marxists, and functionalists. But there's also; postmodernists, the new right, new left, and labelling theory which are all really interesting.

I do psychology, sociology and religious studies - and did do AS English lang. So if you have any questions about any of those subjects as well, feel free to send any messages - i got an A in all three subjects in the exam and still have all my work and past essays/powerpoints if you ever want a glimpse of what it is like.

Have fun deciding and make sure you pick subjects you think you'll enjoy! that is KEY becuase the work load is stressful, it's a lot harder to keep up with if you dislike the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing A2 sociology and I think it's a real eye opener. You learn about different perspectives views on many factors that shape the society, eg. education, family, gender roles etc. And it's really not a complicated subject, my revision consisted of just reading the whole book hours before the exam and ended up with an A. If you enjoy philosophy, you will like sociology

ReputationRep:
    oh okay thats really intersting!!! thankyou i think i will take sociolgy
    You're welcome and good luck

Nearer to exam time, revise EVERYTHING don't miss anything out! Some people relied mostly on predictions of what their teachers/friends thought was going to come up in the exam.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    wow that helps loads actually thanks... is history good btw??
    It is good, it's very interesting, but it's very demanding, to say the least. It's taking me a while to wrap my head around the topics we're doing but overall, it's a very worthwhile subject to do! Just be prepared for a lot of work and outside reading

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    A mixture of both The essays were okay though actually because each question is open to interpretation so as long as you give your interpretation of the question you won't lose any marks. So there's literally more than one right answer.
    thankyouuu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambergraver)
    I haven't read what other people have explained but my own experience of sociology has been FANTASTIC!

i'm currently an A2, studying beliefs in society and crime and deviance which i love, but in my first year i did a lot about families and households, and education which were the two main units (a long with research methods) for AQA, there's now a new spec for students just to the AS/A2 movement but i still think you must do similar things- either way it's really enjoyable.

There can be a lot of studies to remember - depending on the way it's taught, you don't need many names at AS but for A2 you do so some teachers throw you into the deep end and flood you with studies.

The main focus is pretty much what society thinks, and what different perspectives think of these. MAIN being; feminists, marxists, and functionalists. But there's also; postmodernists, the new right, new left, and labelling theory which are all really interesting.

I do psychology, sociology and religious studies - and did do AS English lang. So if you have any questions about any of those subjects as well, feel free to send any messages - i got an A in all three subjects in the exam and still have all my work and past essays/powerpoints if you ever want a glimpse of what it is like.

Have fun deciding and make sure you pick subjects you think you'll enjoy! that is KEY becuase the work load is stressful, it's a lot harder to keep up with if you dislike the subject.
    thankyou sooooo much.... erm could u message me like one of you past work so i can see what its like that would be sooo helpful

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.