Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Do applicants tend to get more than 2 offers? I.e. is the typical applicant able to choose a place to firm and insure?

Assuming the degree isn't especially competitive.

Assuming the applicant meets the minimum entry requirement and their reference and PS are adequate.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by keromedic)
    Do applicants tend to get more than 2 offers? I.e. is the typical applicant able to choose a place to firm and insure?

Assuming the degree isn't especially competitive.

Assuming the applicant meets the minimum entry requirement and their reference and PS are adequate.
    The majority of people get 4+ offers, quite a sizeable contingent get all 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got 2 last year so hopefully I get more this year! :')
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    The majority of people get 4+ offers, quite a sizeable contingent get all 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What makes you think that?

(Original post by MaxReid)
    I got 2 last year so hopefully I get more this year! :'
    What course? What were they looking for and what grades did you have?

ReputationRep:

I applied for Law last year. My GCSEs were ABBBBCCC (I had extenuating circumstances) and AAAA at AS, predicted A*A*A at A2. I got two offers. I missed my offers and got AAA. That's why I'm reapplying this year, for a different course though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Looked at the stats that UCAS collect, it's quite rare to end up with no offers (but obviously still happens) from what I can see.

" In 2014, 92 per cent of UK and EU applicants who made five choices received at least one offer and 55 per cent of these applicants received four or five offers (2 percentage points higher than in 2013). The proportion having the maximum five offers increased to 32 per cent in 2014, the highest level recorded."

Source: https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/f...ort-dec-14.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Looked at the stats that UCAS collect, it's quite rare to end up with no offers (but obviously still happens) from what I can see.

" In 2014, 92 per cent of UK and EU applicants who made five choices received at least one offer and 55 per cent of these applicants received four or five offers (2 percentage points higher than in 2013). The proportion having the maximum five offers increased to 32 per cent in 2014, the highest level recorded."

Source: https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/f...ort-dec-14.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can add to that universities like Oxford Cambridge LSE Imperial and Durham all reject more than they accept and there is a very low rate of offers for Medicine Dentistry etc. There is also the fact a lot of people who get rejected apply to universities without the appropriate entry requirements or predicted grades. This would increase the amounts who had 4 or 5 acceptances so in answer to your question is if people do not apply to high risk universities or for highly competitive courses and have the right entry standards they are very likely to get more than 2 offers. in fact they are likely to get 4 or 5. There is an example on here of Loughborough who gave offers to more than 90% of the people who applied for their Geography course and this is a highly rated uni.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.