Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Struggling self studying AS Further maths watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm self studying MEI further maths, and i'm already starting to struggle. I learn best by watching videos or people do examples and explain the topic, and there isn't many good resources like that for mei maths, without missing a lot of important stuff. I'm just finishing matrices, and i can easily find the inverse, do simultaneous equations etc. but when it comes to answering questions there are many i can't do.

I use the text book and MEI integral website to learn the content, but they are dull and hard to understand compared to a teacher. Does anyone have any advice for self studying further maths? I also am really inefficient when self studying, like i'll sit there for hours and wont cover that much.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    For me when I self-taught the AS it was just doing ALL the questions in the books, then doing past papers during exam season. However, I do not know the MEI book quality , luckily the units in Further Additional AS are pretty well documented on the internet, so you should not struggle finding relevant resources. And if you're ever stuck just ask the question on TSR, it's full of geniuses (trust me), they'll always help find the solution whenever needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannoning)
    Hello,
    I'm self studying MEI further maths, and i'm already starting to struggle. I learn best by watching videos or people do examples and explain the topic, and there isn't many good resources like that for mei maths, without missing a lot of important stuff. I'm just finishing matrices, and i can easily find the inverse, do simultaneous equations etc. but when it comes to answering questions there are many i can't do.

I use the text book and MEI integral website to learn the content, but they are dull and hard to understand compared to a teacher. Does anyone have any advice for self studying further maths? I also am really inefficient when self studying, like i'll sit there for hours and wont cover that much.

Thanks
    From what i read on TeeEM s previous post MEI is not a good board to study further maths......................

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannoning)
    Hello,

Thanks
    Use ExamSolutions, and also type in the topic name on YouTube (the video does not have to follow the MEI specification) to get the basics. The rest is just practicing questions (Physicsandmathstutor.com has many good questions by topic).

Also I'd suggest looking at sample problems (Arsey posts sample past papers here) and lots of examples before jumping onto harder questions. With Maths its all about practice, rather than reading.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 17, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.