Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Should I talk about the college I'm applying for on the additional personal statement? I'm just thinking about if I get pooled another college might get put off? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lambda98)
    Should I talk about the college I'm applying for on the additional personal statement? I'm just thinking about if I get pooled another college might get put off? thanks
    Well they ask you to on the application but personally I don't think you should cos like you said, you might get pooled and also I wouldn't have thought that Cambridge is the kind of place who would take the reasons you applied to them into account when reviewing your application :P maybe if you REALLY cared about the college you applied for but even then it shouldn't be something they consider when making offers
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Talk about the course yes, but not the college. And even then the Additional PS is entirely optional. You will not be disadvantaged if you leave it blank.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think talking about the college you replied won't give you any advantage to be accepted by them or disadvantage when pooled to another college. That's a sort of info they aren't really interested. They'll probably just ignore it as they know too well almost all candidates will eventually fall in love with their college when they actually start at Cambridge, no matter if it was their first choice or having been pooled there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Talk about the course yes, but not the college. And even then the Additional PS is entirely optional. You will not be disadvantaged if you leave it blank.
    Is it perfectly fine to leave it blank then? I was going to write about how I liked the teaching style, the course etc. but that seems rather overdone and a bit pointless. I have been told I should do it, but now I'm not sure.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Madhog)
    Is it perfectly fine to leave it blank then? I was going to write about how I liked the teaching style, the course etc. but that seems rather overdone and a bit pointless. I have been told I should do it, but now I'm not sure.
    The Additional PS is entirely optional. You will not be disadvantaged if you leave it blank.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    The additional personal statement and other sections about career aspirations or maintaining interest etc. are completely optional. If you don't have anything to add (e.g. you think your PS covers everything) then leave it blank. It's better not to repeat yourself.

You will never be asked about why you chose your College as you may be an open applicant (interviewers can't tell) and it is strictly forbidden for interviewers to ask or to use college choice and reasons for your choice (or lack of them) as a factor in admissions decisions.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.