Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I leave home for a University in the same city that I live in? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I really don't get along with my parents due to religious differences.

I want to study at UCL university since it's really good for my course and would be more beneficial for me to go there, but I really want to leave home at the same time since I honestly can't face the idea of staying at home during University with parents like mine.

The problem is that I already live in London, and not very far from the University so I wouldn't really have much of a good reason to leave apart from the possibility of my parents kicking me out because I do plan to tell them about my religious views (which they will NOT handle well at all as I have tried talking about it to them before).

Is it worth trying to move out and live in halls for the first year? Or should I just leave London?

Thank you!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by alafolie37)
    I really don't get along with my parents due to religious differences.

I want to study at UCL university since it's really good for my course and would be more beneficial for me to go there, but I really want to leave home at the same time since I honestly can't face the idea of staying at home during University with parents like mine.

The problem is that I already live in London, and not very far from the University so I wouldn't really have much of a good reason to leave apart from the possibility of my parents kicking me out because I do plan to tell them about my religious views (which they will NOT handle well at all as I have tried talking about it to them before).

Is it worth trying to move out and live in halls for the first year? Or should I just leave London?

Thank you!!
    It's a difficult decision. UCL was my insurance and I also live fairly close-by so I had a similar issue - on the one hand, I wanted to move away from home but on the other hand, I wasn't sure if that could justify the extremely high cost of catering and accommodation around UCL, particularly since staying at home would be so cheap. It really depends on your priorities to be honest and whether you think the added expense is worth it. In my case, had I gone to UCL, I would have stayed at home because as much as I wanted to move away, I didn't think that would be worth ~£30,000 over the duration of my degree.

ReputationRep:
    Living in halls is super expensive especially in London. Think about this, are you able to afford staying in halls? Buy food and other expenses without any problems?.
    Good luck with everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarissa_Nursing)
    Living in halls is super expensive especially in London. Think about this, are you able to afford staying in halls? Buy food and other expenses without any problems?.
    Good luck with everything!
    I have thought about it and decided it would be far too difficult, but thank you so much anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    It's a difficult decision. UCL was my insurance and I also live fairly close-by so I had a similar issue - on the one hand, I wanted to move away from home but on the other hand, I wasn't sure if that could justify the extremely high cost of catering and accommodation around UCL, particularly since staying at home would be so cheap. It really depends on your priorities to be honest and whether you think the added expense is worth it. In my case, had I gone to UCL, I would have stayed at home because as much as I wanted to move away, I didn't think that would be worth ~£30,000 over the duration of my degree.
    Thank you so much for your advice!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.