Turn on thread page Beta

Cutting working tax credits ?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The goverment have put foward the idea that they will cut working tax credits. However a lot of people have been complaining about this saying how working tax credits have helped them do the best for their children. But they government will then increase the minimum wage to £9 something. They claim that this will help bring in more money for the ones who were on working tax credits and will make work actually work for them by providing them a decent income.

Good idea ? I dont think its to bad.

What do we all think about kelly's story ?
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-david-6642197

ReputationRep:
    Firstly it is not an increase in the minimum wage to £9, it is an increase to £9 in London and £7.20 outside of London for over 25s.
    The new wage however won't even come close to making up for lost tax credits, the average person in tax credits will be £1800 a year or so worse off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redleader1)
    The goverment have put foward the idea that they will cut working tax credits. However a lot of people have been complaining about this saying how working tax credits have helped them do the best for their children. But they government will then increase the minimum wage to £9 something. They claim that this will help bring in more money for the ones who were on working tax credits and will make work actually work for them by providing them a decent income.

Good idea ? I dont think its to bad.

What do we all think about kelly's story ?
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-david-6642197
    Bad idea , deamonising the low paid. Now I am not sure that you know but tories give with one hand and take more with the other. They may higher the minimum wage but they take more then what they give you in rises from working tax credits making people worse off. Even the treasury have admitted this- now what did Cameron say before the election that he was not going to cut tax credits. Every time their is a conservative win they lie their way to downing street
    https://fullfact.org/factcheck/econo..._promise-46421

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZZTop1)
    Bad idea , deamonising the low paid. Now I am not sure that you know but tories give with one hand and take more with the other. They may higher the minimum wage but they take more then what they give you in rises from working tax credits making people worse off. Even the treasury have admitted this- now what did Cameron say before the election that he was not going to cut tax credits. Every time their is a conservative win they lie their way to downing street
    https://fullfact.org/factcheck/econo..._promise-46421
    How/why they win elections is beyond me

ReputationRep:
    Electoral Fraud? SNP?

ReputationRep:
    Director's law: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director's_law, basically the theory of the middle class always being able to influence public policy the most.

For example, free public higher education. Most of the middle class will make use of such a policy (since education is usually related to wealth), but the ultra-rich and the poor will be less likely to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Because people are too stupid to realise they don't mean anything they say...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Because people are too stupid to realise they don't mean anything they say...
    More to do with people during them with the economy than they trust labour.

ReputationRep:
    I talk to a lot of Conservative voters and 90% of them are mad & upset. In a way the Tories have really kicked themselves in the groin by making the changes in April 2017. This gives people 3 years to remember instead of 5 years. There will also be a lot of job losses in small business around marginal seats due to the living wage. These two changes will cause a lot of swing voters to move towards UKIP or Labour.

Don't think people will remember the good things because people tend to stick to the bad.

This is going to cause the Tories a lot of damage. If they have learned anything they should stop the cuts to tax credits and instead cut other parts of welfare instead.

This will go against what I normally preach but the Tories should abolish Personal Independence Payment and cut ESA Support Group to the Job Seekers rate. Not many people cared that disabled people got their benefits cut from 2010 to 2015. If the Tories did this then they would maybe keep the votes from the working poor while loosing no votes from the disabled because the majority of disabled people hate the Tories.

In ways I see the Tories doing the same thing as Hitler. They have got to ignorant and they think they can slay a beast. Well Hitler made that mistake when he attacked the Soviet Union which is kinda like the Tories attacking the working poor. The joke is on the Tories anyway because the middle class are moving towards buying own branded labels and some of them are a couple of pay cheque away from being in the same postion as the working class.

I hope the Tories remain strict and ignorant because it will cost them next election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    I talk to a lot of Conservative voters and 90% of them are mad & upset. In a way the Tories have really kicked themselves in the groin by making the changes in April 2017. This gives people 3 years to remember instead of 5 years. There will also be a lot of job losses in small business around marginal seats due to the living wage. These two changes will cause a lot of swing voters to move towards UKIP or Labour.

Don't think people will remember the good things because people tend to stick to the bad.

This is going to cause the Tories a lot of damage. If they have learned anything they should stop the cuts to tax credits and instead cut other parts of welfare instead.

This will go against what I normally preach but the Tories should abolish Personal Independence Payment and cut ESA Support Group to the Job Seekers rate. Not many people cared that disabled people got their benefits cut from 2010 to 2015. If the Tories did this then they would maybe keep the votes from the working poor while loosing no votes from the disabled because the majority of disabled people hate the Tories.

In ways I see the Tories doing the same thing as Hitler. They have got to ignorant and they think they can slay a beast. Well Hitler made that mistake when he attacked the Soviet Union which is kinda like the Tories attacking the working poor. The joke is on the Tories anyway because the middle class are moving towards buying own branded labels and some of them are a couple of pay cheque away from being in the same postion as the working class.

I hope the Tories remain strict and ignorant because it will cost them next election.
    You compare the Tories to Hitler far too much on this forum. Even when the link is plain ridiculous.

Run a search on here with posts by you and with the word "fascism" and god knows how many results will come back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    You compare the Tories to Hitler far too much on this forum. Even when the link is plain ridiculous.

Run a search on here with posts by you and with the word "fascism" and god knows how many results will come back.
    I just did a search. Im not on the first page.

ReputationRep:
    I just did a search. Im not on the first page.
    You have so many posts on here with comedy gold like the Tories being worse than the Nazis in their treatment of the disabled. Too many to count.

Your desire to link the Tories to the Nazis is plain silly.

I can think of many better examples of what the Tax Credits may be-can't you? I will give you a hint;
    Stay on Domestic policy, stay on implementations that were after a long Tory spell, stay with ones that occurred during the last government of said leader, stay on ones seen as an assault on the poor...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    You have so many posts on here with comedy gold like the Tories being worse than the Nazis in their treatment of the disabled. Too many to count.

Your desire to link the Tories to the Nazis is plain silly.

I can think of many better examples of what the Tax Credits may be-can't you? I will give you a hint;
    Stay on Domestic policy, stay on implementations that were after a long Tory spell, stay with ones that occurred during the last government of said leader, stay on ones seen as an assault on the poor...
    Tories are Nazis though. My TSR comrades agree with me. We have a consensus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZZTop1)
    Electoral Fraud? SNP?
    What has the SNP got to do with it ? Scottish National Party ?

ReputationRep:
    What has the SNP got to do with it ? Scottish National Party ?
    Winning 40-50 seats which would have been labours but the lib dems switching to tory did the damage. Also a few questionable seats.

ReputationRep:
    Tories are Nazis though. My TSR comrades agree with me. We have a consensus.
    You're an unhinged fool.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I have a feeling either

1) When Parliament Vote , they will reject it . The Conservatives only have a majority of 12 ( the opposition parties have 12 less MPs than the Conservative Party) if all the Opposition parties vote against it ( which they will and say 20 or so Tories vote against it to ) the noes with have it therefore it can not be passed into Law

2) The Conservatives actually listen to the majority of the general public and Opposition Mps ( and some Tory MPs ) and will decide to not go ahead with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Firstly it is not an increase in the minimum wage to £9, it is an increase to £9 in London and £7.20 outside of London for over 25s.
    False. There is one UK rate. It is to be £9 by 2020.

The new wage however won't even come close to making up for lost tax credits, the average person in tax credits will be £1800 a year or so worse off.
    Plenty of people on the minimum wage aren't on tax credits, and vice-versa. It's not about direct compensation. But of course, if you want to take the worst possible outcome, then you have to factor in other measures like tax changes.

Ultimately though, even doing that ignores the impact of the policy, which is supposed to encourage behavioural change to taking on more work and shift from higher benefits to higher wages.

ReputationRep:
    I won't lie, most of these people who will be worse off can save in other areas such as mobile phones, TV, computes, games consoles and so on. There is help out there for those who do genuinely need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessThomas6)
    I won't lie, most of these people who will be worse off can save in other areas such as mobile phones, TV, computes, games consoles and so on. There is help out there for those who do genuinely need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My family will lose out significantly. We have no games consoles, old computers, cheap phones and only a TV licence.

We will lose £400 a month. We can't save in other areas. The help is being cut from under us. Tax credits are what keep us afloat. The help isn't there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.