Turn on thread page Beta

I think I am socially retarded watch

Announcements

I'm sorry if this isn't the right term. But I think I am socially retarded. I often don't understand what people mean when they are talking to me on a social level, like when they are making jokes. When I am talking in a group such as pre drinking I am always the quiet one, and I struggle to form social relationships with a lot of people, especially girls. Any ideas on what I should do?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You should force yourself to take part in more social stuff. Not only will your confidence increase, but you'll also get a better understanding of what people are about, what they mean, what kinds of things they like etc.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the club

ReputationRep:
    Well you're on TSR so yeah, you probably are.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yes, I know I'm on it as well.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone has to laugh or get a joke to be considered "socially retarded" as you put it. You could have a different sense of humour in contrast to them. There is nothing wrong in being quiet, you don't have to add anything to a conversation if you are not interested in it. if you have a quiet personality, don't change it to fit in. Abraham Lincoln once said it's "better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Girls are complex beings lol, don't take it to heart if they refuse to interact with you. If you have 1 or 2 people that understand you and interact with you, you don't need a crowd. As the saying goes, " 1 is company, 2 is a crowd" Be yourself Op and learn to love your personality and yourself, don't do injustice to yourself by changing your personality to please people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm sorry if this isn't the right term. But I think I am socially retarded. I often don't understand what people mean when they are talking to me on a social level, like when they are making jokes. When I am talking in a group such as pre drinking I am always the quiet one, and I struggle to form social relationships with a lot of people, especially girls. Any ideas on what I should do?
    Unfortunatly the only way to get better at social situations is to subject yourself to them.

As for drinking and clubbing I can't help you there. I don't usually do things like that but start a conversation and establish common ground. Or if not start a conversation and just listen respond to the boring crap people usually talk about.

ReputationRep:
    Well the 1st step i to admit and accept who you really are which you have done

you need to get out of your comfortzone and just practice interacting with people. watch videos how confident people interact and practice it irl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proxenus)
    Well the 1st step i to admit and accept who you really are which you have done

you need to get out of your comfortzone and just practice interacting with people. watch videos how confident people interact and practice it irl
    Seems like prudent advice. But in the end nobody wants to be able to interact with people, they want to interact with someone. This is what must be accepted.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Anonymous you may not agree with me. You might be isolated because they might be sharing mutual ideas, whereas you don't / sometimes they might feel that you are below their standards/ they might be feeling insecure about themselves because you are too intelligent. You are not alone! There are millions and billions of people facing that mental agony. Even I face such awkward situations in my life. Yeah it makes you feel so miserable. However I no longer give a damn about such trivial stuff. Don't get depressed. They are all bull****. They are just barriers which are available only in the short term. I would strongly recommend you to study hard and become a brainiac. You must also respect other peoples' views as well. You must also develop a good attitude so that you can get on well with everyone you meet. Once you develop all of these strengths, I'm perfectly sure that no one will never hesitate to have conversations with you. Almost everyone will accept you. You may not feel that lonely once you become a very strong person. After that you will feel confident of yourself.
    Good Luck !
    Hope this helps you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.