Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking to study maths, further maths, psychology and sociology at AS level. This is because I actually enjoy maths and am good at it. I want to do the social sciences because they seem interesting and I'll probably drop sociology for A2. However, is this an unusual combination? Would I be accepted to good universities with this combination of subjects?

By the way, I am not doing bio, chem or physics a levels because I know it'll be too hard for me - personally I don't think I'm good at science and from what I've heard it's very hard so I'm not going to bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stars14)
    I am thinking to study maths, further maths, psychology and sociology at AS level. This is because I actually enjoy maths and am good at it. I want to do the social sciences because they seem interesting and I'll probably drop sociology for A2. However, is this an unusual combination? Would I be accepted to good universities with this combination of subjects?

By the way, I am not doing bio, chem or physics a levels because I know it'll be too hard for me - personally I don't think I'm good at science and from what I've heard it's very hard so I'm not going to bother.
    I'd definitely say do maths if you enjoy it as unis see it as a good a level even if you apply to unrelated courses. However I'd definitely check whether the unis you want to apply to view maths and further maths as separate a levels as sometimes they are only viewed as one if you're applying for a non-maths related course. Also if you find physics hard then some of the stuff in further maths might be quite hard as the 2 subjects get very similar, particularly if you do several mechanics units

ReputationRep:
    Currently im studying P3 (additional science) at school and the only reason im enjoying it is because of the mathematical side - the many formulae and calculations
    I'm thinking to do study at QueenMarys (hopefully like my older brother) or I checked Kings college and further maths and maths are seen as seperate A levels. its actually required you study both at A level in order to do a degree in mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well if you wanna actually do maths at uni I'd say your choices are fine. There are some more physicsy maths courses who probably wouldn't want you without physics but I guess you wouldn't be looking at those anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As long as you're sure you want to do maths you should be fine, and some univerisities will see it as a positive thing that you have an 'unusual' combination as it shows you have talents in other areas, and psychology involves a lot of essay writing so this will strengthen different skills to the ones you will use in maths.

Even if you ended up changing your mind and not having the required subjects for the course you want to do, there are always options so just focus on doing A-Levels which you think you will enjoy and find interesting and stimulating as this is what will help you to get good results.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't thought of doing A level English language and literature so I'm wondering what is it like? Easy or hard? Which is more enjoyable and what do you study throughout the year?
    Thanks by the way to everyone for previous replies really helpful

ReputationRep:
    If you're wanting to do maths at uni, they'll only care about your maths and further maths a level, and as long as you get a good grade in the other subject, they won't care what it is.
    Fair warning though, A2 further maths as a very difficult subject, and that's coming from a third year maths student

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've heard that too from my own brother. Hopefully I'll do well in both maths and further maths

ReputationRep:

I did Maths, Further Maths, Psychology and Chemistry at AS and am currently doing Maths, Further Maths and Psychology at A2. I've applied to university to do Maths with predicted A*AA, and I don't think any of them are top bothered. Most high university entry requirements look at Maths A-level at an A or A*, with Further Maths simply preferred (not Oxbridge, Warwick etc. they like Further Maths as a definite A-Level). A third A-level is just a place filler, and it doesn't give you much of an advantage aslong as it's relatively academic (they'd probably look on sciences like psychology more than arts). I sent mine in 3 days ago but the college has yet to process it and I haven't received any correspondance regarding my UCAS at all.

Just out of curiosity, do you want to do Maths and university (or a Maths related course like Statistics), or do you want to look more into Psychology, or a bit of both?

ReputationRep:
    I want to study just maths because later I want to become a secondary maths teacher.
    By the way, what do you mean a bit of both? Is there a maths and psychology combined degree?

ReputationRep:
    I want to study just maths because later I want to become a secondary maths teacher.
    By the way, what do you mean a bit of both? Is there a maths and psychology combined degree?
    Yeh. Glasgow has one, as does Keele.

However, some universities (like Lancaster) that I went to allowed you to study an unrelated subject to your degree. You'd have to check what is on offer but if you still have an interest in Psychology you can continue to study it.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as psychology is going to be a new subject for me next year I'll have to see if I actually enjoy and am good at it for it to be considered a subject I want to get a degree in.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 17, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.