Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can't do any Uni work:( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is a serious post,advice would be appreciated.

I'm a 2nd year university student and lately I feel like I'm becoming lazier and lazier by day.This is unlike me .All my school life I've been motivated to get work done and complete assignments on time.However this year it seems all my work ethic ,dedication and hard work didn't survive a 4 month break.It honestly feels like my brain is not functioning as well as it did before and my thinking process is a lot slower than it was.

The second year of my course is a lot more interesting ,definitely harder and my modules are really good.However I cannot get myself to do any work outside of lectures or other scheduled classes.At the start of the year (4 weeks ago) I drew up a plan and had planned on going through my lectures the week I had them/weekend at the latest and I have only gone over 3-4 lectures out of the 15+ so far.

Before I know it ,it will be January and I really don't want to be behind

Help,thank you!.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NellyMelly)

I'm a 2nd year university student and lately I feel like I'm becoming lazier and lazier by day.This is unlike me .All my school life I've been motivated to get work done and complete assignments on time.However this year it seems all my work ethic ,dedication and hard work didn't survive a 4 month break.It honestly feels like my brain is not functioning as well as it did before and my thinking process is a lot slower than it was.

The second year of my course is a lot more interesting ,definitely harder and my modules are really good.However I cannot get myself to do any work outside of lectures or other scheduled classes.At the start of the year (4 weeks ago) I drew up a plan and had planned on going through my lectures the week I had them/weekend at the latest and I have only gone over 3-4 lectures out of the 15+ so far.

Help,thank you!.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nike - just do it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LionKing1)
    Nike - just do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Err...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's quite common to lack motivation in second year, first year is fun and tend to fairly motivated. Second year is in middle you got to work to get he grades, but the aim of finishing degree seems a way off. I was same, now in third year my motivation high as I want to come out with a 2.1 degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Help,thank you!.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    could you be depressed, feeling exhausted lately?

maybe see a doctor, you could have low iron levels.

if not,

do you know what you want to be after you graduate?
    what was your motivation before?

maybe speak to your personal tutor about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozzielizzie)
    It's quite common to lack motivation in second year, first year is fun and tend to fairly motivated. Second year is in middle you got to work to get he grades, but the aim of finishing degree seems a way off. I was same, now in third year my motivation high as I want to come out with a 2.1 degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know what you mean.I guess I have to find motivation somewhere!
    Good luck ,hope you get a 2.1

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same on my first year, really wish I wasn't. I don't like the way you're supposed to work at uni at all. I want fixed hours, and when I get home, I don't have to worry.

I love my job, it's a ****ty job but I come back with such a bigger sense of achievement than anything I do at uni, and once I'm home I can put my feet up, have a beer and know that I've just made some more money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gundog48)
    I'm the same on my first year, really wish I wasn't. I don't like the way you're supposed to work at uni at all. I want fixed hours, and when I get home, I don't have to worry.

I love my job, it's a ****ty job but I come back with such a bigger sense of achievement than anything I do at uni, and once I'm home I can put my feet up, have a beer and know that I've just made some more money.
    Awwhhh mate.You're only in first year .Im sorry to say but if you're feeling like this now ,it will not get better.As the year goes on you'll have more work to do and you'll be expected to do a lot more work outside fixed hours.E.g content in semester 2 was a lot harder than in semester 1.So I had to spend more time outside of lectures doing work.
    I love my course and my modules I don't know why I can't get anything done.
    Are you enjoying your course?.Could be the reason
    Feel free to PM if you want
    Hope things improve for ya!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctor_2_be)
    could you be depressed, feeling exhausted lately?

maybe see a doctor, you could have low iron levels.

if not,

do you know what you want to be after you graduate?
    what was your motivation before?

maybe speak to your personal tutor about it?
    Thanks for answering.
    No I wouldn't say I'm depressed,I have my moments where I feel crap but everybody goes through that right?.You know the occasional day where you can't be bothered to get out of bed.Not exhausted either because I don't really do much ,I go to the gym here and there
    I'll PM you what my motivation was.
    Thanks a lot!.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Awwhhh mate.You're only in first year .Im sorry to say but if you're feeling like this now ,it will not get better.As the year goes on you'll have more work to do and you'll be expected to do a lot more work outside fixed hours.E.g content in semester 2 was a lot harder than in semester 1.So I had to spend more time outside of lectures doing work.
    I love my course and my modules I don't know why I can't get anything done.
    Are you enjoying your course?.Could be the reason
    Feel free to PM if you want
    Hope things improve for ya!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Jesus, I don't know that I can do it. The course I do is product design which really has two faces. The manufacturing, craftsmanship and engineering side which I absolutely love, and the 'design' side which I absolutely hate. It's generally all about absolute nutters getting far too much respect for making things that don't work properly. And I already think that if I'm told that my product is great but it lacks a 'narrative' or 'story' one more time I'm going to snap!

I don't have much motivation for it, but I don't have any viable alternatives either. The social side doesn't help. There's 5 others on my course, one of which doesn't turn up, and they're the only people I know at uni. Fresher's week was a virtual non-event, and they got rid of the student bar over the summer break before I turned up. I suppose it being an 'in and out' job suits me well enough, but I just don't care about it enough to put any effort into it once I get home- I have many more things I'd rather spend my time researching or doing.

I'm in a rut honestly. I don't really like where I am or where I'm going, but as far as I can see it's the 'least worst' option for now. Which is fine- but doesn't exactly inspire enthusiasm!

ReputationRep:
    OP - I would explore several things:-

1. Are you suffering SAD? The long nights at this time of year are enough to demotivate the best of us!
    2. What about your diet? Are you eating well? If you are struggling financially and on beans on toast/noodles every day it wont be doing you much good!
    3. Depression? I would guess many 2nd year students actually feel a bit nostalgic for the heady days of 1st year, Freshers and the excitement of meeting new people, 2nd year is like a slight loss of innocence, a growing up, aging even!

It might be possible that you are 'academiced out' so to speak, it can happen to anyone, but its a bit like writers block and your enthusiasm should return!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I suggest you one thing that works to me. Try to motivate yourself. For instance, I promised myself that if I finish my 3rd course successfully I'll make my old dream come true. I did it and took a hot air balloon flight! :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    x
    Maybe try a time management technique, like the Pomodoro technique? It gets you to work in 25 minute chunks, then take a 5 minute break, then another 25 minutes, and so on. After every 4 Pomodoros (I think) you get a longer break.

Knowing you just have to work for 25 minutes could help you break through the wall? After you've done one, doing another 25 minutes becomes easier. It also works because you have to break down tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks, and you get the satisfaction of crossing things off your To-Do list that way.

There are tons of Pomodoro apps and websites out there, or just use an egg timer/your phone.

Otherwise, as others have said, look into other factors that may be inhibiting your motivation: mental health (including SAD, this really does affect a lot of people), diet, exercise, etc. and see if you can improve things there, to help you feel better overall.

ReputationRep:
    take a day, refocus, replan and work out something manageable.remeber most of all that this year counts and will probably be the easiest year for you to get some proper good grades

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.