Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I started at University in 2009 when I was 18. I then did the 3 years of my BA course, plus 2 retake years when I dropped out during the 2nd of those (3rd time repeating 3rd year...) so 5 years of Student Loan...and I have a DipHE....

The reason I had so many problems with retaking years was because of a number of severe health issues, subsequently failed by the university health system, and at the time I was dependent on parents who caused some of those problems who kept bullying me into going back.

After taking a year and a half out, I managed to sort out most of those problems and become independent in terms of living and finance, and now want to try to return to do a final year.

However - I don't know what funding I can get - I don't have £9000 and probably won't for many years. Would Student Loans fund me for another year if it was because of illness/specific personal problems? Where else could I get funding?

My degree was in quite an obscure subject too, so I really need a BA degree in order to do something in that field.

Replies appreciated!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Do you have proof of your illness for that period?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clez)
    Hi

I started at University in 2009 when I was 18. I then did the 3 years of my BA course, plus 2 retake years when I dropped out during the 2nd of those (3rd time repeating 3rd year...)

now want to try to return to do a final year
    Firstly, have the uni agreed that you can do this? Having accepted a DipHE, your qualification was complete, even if it was lower than expected from your original course. If the syllabus has changed since you left, "topping up" may not be an option anyway. It's not worth putting yourself through the stress of considering finances until you have the uni's agreement to accept you back.

On the finance side, I'm not sure you have any options. As OU Student suggests, if you have third party proof (evidence which could be provided by a GP, consultant, counsellor etc) that you were unable to complete your first degree due to health issues, then you may be able to submit for Compelling Personal Reasons. The fly in the ointment is that you accepted a DipHE from your degree course and have therefore left with a qualification. That may muddy the waters and I'm not sure your case would be straightforward even if you had the evidence.

There are no sensible sources of undergrad funding other than Student Finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Do you have proof of your illness for that period?
    Yes, I have medical records both from the University and on my general medical record for that time period. I also have my post - uni medical and therapy record, sources from relevant practitioners and a 72 page self written report on the last 25 years. Would any of those help to appeal to student finance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Firstly, have the uni agreed that you can do this? Having accepted a DipHE, your qualification was complete, even if it was lower than expected from your original course. If the syllabus has changed since you left, "topping up" may not be an option anyway. It's not worth putting yourself through the stress of considering finances until you have the uni's agreement to accept you back.

On the finance side, I'm not sure you have any options. As OU Student suggests, if you have third party proof (evidence which could be provided by a GP, consultant, counsellor etc) that you were unable to complete your first degree due to health issues, then you may be able to submit for Compelling Personal Reasons. The fly in the ointment is that you accepted a DipHE from your degree course and have therefore left with a qualification. That may muddy the waters and I'm not sure your case would be straightforward even if you had the evidence.

There are no sensible sources of undergrad funding other than Student Finance.
    Hi, In terms of the Uni itself, I have not contacted them about this issue specifically as I thought it would be pointless if I was unable to get the fees money. At this point it is all speculative inquiry. Based on the last conversation I had with my old course director, I am unsure as to whether I would be able to go back to that specific Uni (whether by departmental preference or university standard practice it is unclear), although I was told it could definitely be an option to apply to a different uni (I live in the NW so there's plenty of things around). I didn't specifically "accept" the DipHE, I was just sent it in the mail a few months after I left.

On the finance side, I do have plenty of evidence (see above post to OU Student).

I haven't contacted Student Finance about this yet, I'm just trying to get some points of view of other people to see if it's even worth doing that!

ReputationRep:
    Bump ^^

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.