Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HiI'm applying for economics and politics.
    I have got 7 A*s and 3As at GCSE/ IGCSE level
    my AS subjects were Politics, Eng Lit, Maths and Economics and I got ABBC (I KNOW, I screwed up really bad even though I was predicted all As throughout the year! )
    My A level predicted are A*AA
    I dropped Eng Lit and will be retaking AS Economics and Maths and am very confident they will both go up to an A
    Soooo
    I have shortlisted my Uni choices and I was thinking of applying to (in order of their entry requirements)
    1.) Either LSE or Durham (but most likely LSE) Entry req: A*AA
    2.) Definitely SOAS. Entry: AAB
    3.)Lancaster(AAB)
    4.) Either Edinburgh(ABB) or Glasgow(AAB-BBB)
    5.) either UEA(AAB-ABB) or Cardiff (AAB)
    AND I MIGHT remove either option 3 or 5 and add Kent which is BBB
    Considering how awful my AS grades were, do you think these a good and realistic uni choices? and I know most of the entry requirements are similar so I was wondering if it was a good selection?

Please and thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ru98a)
    my AS subjects were Politics, Eng Lit, Maths and Economics and I got ABBC (I KNOW, I screwed up really bad even though I was predicted all As throughout the year! )
    I dropped Eng Lit and will be retaking AS Economics and Maths and am very confident they will both go up to an A
    Soooo
    I have shortlisted my Uni choices and I was thinking of applying to (in order of their entry requirements)
    3.)Lancaster(AAB)
    Considering how awful my AS grades were, do you think these a good and realistic uni choices? and I know most of the entry requirements are similar so I was wondering if it was a good selection?

Please and thank you!!
    given your AS grades I really think you have no hope of LSE or Durham. Both are massively oversubscribed and will have students with AAAA or AAAB at AS level. The others look reasonable. I personally would replace 4 with Kent. Given that 1 is your aspirational choice you could let it in but I really don't think you will get an offer.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ru98a)
    Soooo
    3.)Lancaster(AAB)

Please and thank you!!
    Hey ru98a

I'm glad to see you're interested in SOAS! Our economics programme is 15th in the UK and our politics is ranked 4th in UK and 35th in the world. So, you'll definitely get top of the line education over here!

Econ and Politics takes 3 years. Since we are the world's leading institution for the study of Asia, Africa and the Middle East, you'll be learning the economics and politics of three quarters of the globe. Combine that with studying in the capital, you'll be at the heart of all important policies affecting the UK and the western world. You'll truly get a global degree here.

With those predicted grades and a strong UCAS application / personal statement, you'd definitely be a strong applicant to SOAS.

We have an Open Day on the 21st and it's never too late to register. Have you had a chance to visit us yet?

~Mike

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.