Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am currently an AS Level students (ongoing AS examinations as of October 2015) in India. The subjects I have taken are English Language, Maths, Biology, Physics and Chemistry for AS level and the I will continue with all of them except English in my A Levels. I really feel I'm good at Math, so I want to take Further Math (9231 I think). Unfortunately, my school does not offer the subject and so I will have to self study and appear for the exam as an external candidate.
    Does anyone know of any resources (textbooks or websites) that I could use? I have 1 year to prepare for it, alongside my regular A Level Math.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    If it's AQA then there is a textbook that you can buy for FP1 and there are the textbooks made by AQA for FP2,3 and 4. Even if you are not doing AQA I'd imagine all the topics covered are still pretty valid. What modules are you planning on taking + exam board?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    If it's AQA then there is a textbook that you can buy for FP1 and there are the textbooks made by AQA for FP2,3 and 4. Even if you are not doing AQA I'd imagine all the topics covered are still pretty valid. What modules are you planning on taking + exam board?

It's CIE AS and A Levels - here's a link
    http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and...-further-9231/

By the way, I don't think we have a choice in modules in this syllabus. From what I've read, I have to do all of it.

Thanks for the help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HB1999)
    It's CIE AS and A Levels - here's a link
    http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and...-further-9231/

By the way, I don't think we have a choice in modules in this syllabus. From what I've read, I have to do all of it.

Thanks for the help.
    Try this series:
    https://wordery.com/pure-mathematics...FacfwwodAz8Dxg

However, doing all of the a level in one year might be very difficult, especially since you are doing six subjects.
    Most people tend to do only four or five as a maximum. However, just make sure that you want to do further maths, especially since it is very difficult.

If you want to do medicine at university in the uk, then you might not want to do further maths as some medical schools do not consider the further maths a level in their offers, so they only take into account your other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoping4Astars)

However, doing all of the a level in one year might be very difficult, especially since you are doing six subjects.
    Most people tend to do only four or five as a maximum. However, just make sure that you want to do further maths, especially since it is very difficult.

I am doing only five subjects: Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and probably Further Maths. English was only for the AS Level.

Physics and Maths are my two favorite subjects, so I will probably go for a degree in engineering or something of the sort.
    From what I've gathered after browsing these forums, I realize that Further Maths is more or less a necessity for a degree from a top college in my topic of interest.

On a lighter (and a more side) note, I love Maths, so why not?

Thanks

EDIT: I checked out the link you shared; these are the same books I'm using fort my A Level Maths

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am currently an AS Level students (ongoing AS examinations as of October 2015) in India. The subjects I have taken are English Language, Maths, Biology, Physics and Chemistry for AS level and the I will continue with all of them except English in my A Levels. I really feel I'm good at Math, so I want to take Further Math (9231 I think). Unfortunately, my school does not offer the subject and so I will have to self study and appear for the exam as an external candidate.
    Does anyone know of any resources (textbooks or websites) that I could use? I have 1 year to prepare for it, alongside my regular A Level Math.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    So what books are you using for it? I plan to do the same as well but have yet to find books to help me.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing only five subjects: Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and probably Further Maths. English was only for the AS Level.

Physics and Maths are my two favorite subjects, so I will probably go for a degree in engineering or something of the sort.
    From what I've gathered after browsing these forums, I realize that Further Maths is more or less a necessity for a degree from a top college in my topic of interest.

On a lighter (and a more side) note, I love Maths, so why not?

Thanks

EDIT: I checked out the link you shared; these are the same books I'm using fort my A Level Maths
    Yeah if you want to study engineering then further maths would be very good to show the university that you can do maths very well. You should be able to do further maths without struggling a lot. The maths that you will do in an engineering degree will be a lot harder than a level further maths.

Also, although it is hard to find textbooks for your exam board, I would recommend using any a level textbook you can find and learn any extra topics online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyamlim97)
    So what books are you using for it? I plan to do the same as well but have yet to find books to help me.
    I have the Pure Maths and Statistics books from this series:
    https://wordery.com/pure-mathematics...FacfwwodAz8Dxg

I'm looking for the Mechanics books as well.

As for the Further Maths topics, I haven't really found any books that are specific to this syllabus. Maybe I'll refer to college-level books for specific topics.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 14, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.