forum notice, spam automatically removed? what!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
byb3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Its destroyed one of my posts and the thread I looked at was littered with this! As far as I knew spam wasn't that much of a problem, and although we owe some credit to the moderators they were getting rid of the spam which was posted just fine!
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it seems as thou they are just going around deleting everything they dont like??

love katy ***
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
it seems as thou they are just going around deleting everything they dont like??

love katy ***
I've PM'ed d, it looks like the upgrade introduced a spam control which seems to delete some relevant and justified URLs. I'm sure d can sort it!
d
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)
I've PM'ed d, it looks like the upgrade introduced a spam control which seems to delete some relevant and justified URLs. I'm sure d can sort it!
The spam removal thing only censors one particular website, the owner owner of which has been spamming this forum quite a bit recently.
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by d)
The spam removal thing only censors one particular website, the owner owner of which has been spamming this forum quite a bit recently.
OK, all of the stuff on that site is merely mirrored from other sites, anyway.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by d)
I dont think the owner was spamming, the places that the links were placed were appropriate to the thread just like byb3

any comments on this?
d
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
I dont think the owner was spamming, the places that the links were placed were appropriate to the thread just like byb3

any comments on this?
I don't think that the owner's advertisements were appreciated by members of the forum, and as such we don't want them here.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by d)
I don't think that the owner's advertisements were appreciated by members of the forum, and as such we don't want them here.
may be you were a little hasty with this, may be it was not the owner but just another board user.
It'sPhil...
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
may be you were a little hasty with this, may be it was not the owner but just another board user.
If you read the posts that were made they don't sound like its someone genuinely trying to be helpful - they sound more like naff adverts for example ..."Hey, if you want past papers check out this cool site ..." and this was posted in loads of places with little relevance. Someone even started a new thread dedicated to plugging this site.

Plus that website isnt even very good - its got three past paper solutions, one of which was nicked from Richard Hayden (possibly with permission) one from byb3's boddington baby site and the other from Mr. Hughes.

So i think it was right to get rid of this unhelpful spam
d
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Perhaps it might not have been the board owner. However, perhaps also it's likely that a casual user would not be incentivised to produce the level of spam pertaining to said website.
d
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)

love katy ***
nope, it just deletes a single website URL which has frequently appeared in spam in the past few days
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by d)
nope, it just deletes a single website URL which has frequently appeared in spam in the past few days
What you class spam, seems a little harsh when it could have been useful to most users on the board - i think that spamming is not right, but spamming itself can be noticed if all threads have the same URL, what about members whom have there own website in there signature? is this not technically spam too? (may be you should reconsider and reveiw this again)
byb3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i agree with the assumption that this website is spam. It has little content and it always seems somebody is plugging the site even though it isn't that good. They didn't ask me for permission by the way.

Although on that note I didn't ask Rahaydenuk for his permission for putting on my site, I just gave him the credit for it. Although I'm sure he won't mind, as everybody who makes those answers wants them to go to good use.

Good work d.
d
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
What you class spam, seems a little harsh when it could have been useful to most users on the board - i think that spamming is not right, but spamming itself can be noticed if all threads have the same URL, what about members whom have there own website in there signature? is this not technically spam too? (may be you should reconsider and reveiw this again)
A piece of spam is an unsolicited commercial message. Someone opening a new thread and then saying "hey everyone, isn't this site great" is an unsolicited commerical message. Replying to twenty threads all saying "try this website" is spam.

Someone taking the time and effort to contribute to the community by crafting a thoughtful response to a previous message and also leaving a small link in their footer is not spam.

I have no idea why you are so persistent with regards to this issue. It's a waste of my time and of everyone else's. If you want to continue this then please PM me or at the very least register.
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by byb3)
Although on that note I didn't ask Rahaydenuk for his permission for putting on my site, I just gave him the credit for it. Although I'm sure he won't mind, as everybody who makes those answers wants them to go to good use.
No, I don't mind. If I did mind, I should've put a note saying it was not to be distributed or something, but that would be a bit pointless really! As long as I'm credited, it's no problem!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.49%
Excited (157)
9.12%
Worried (306)
17.77%
Terrified (382)
22.18%
Meh (173)
10.05%
Confused (37)
2.15%