Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I heard Oxford usually gives out 2 or 3 interviews for the shortlisted applicants. I'm applying from another country but am a citizen of the EU, so getting a Visa to come to Oxford is no problem.
    But does this mean that I may have to pay the plane ticket and book a hotel to and at Oxford 2 or 3 times?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PartyNextDoor1)
    I heard Oxford usually gives out 2 or 3 interviews for the shortlisted applicants. I'm applying from another country but am a citizen of the EU, so getting a Visa to come to Oxford is no problem.
    But does this mean that I may have to pay the plane ticket and book a hotel to and at Oxford 2 or 3 times?
    You can have a Skype interview, but real life interviews are much preferred and may give you a better chance (and I know that personally I absolutely hate Skype conversations and would utterly fail a Skype interview) so you may still opt to get a plane to the UK. However, you'll only need to do that once: the college will provide accommodation and food for the duration of your stay, and rough dates are already up on the Oxford website somewhere (I'm on mobile so I'm afraid I can't link but they're not too difficult to find and I'll do it later if I can). All your interviews will take place within a few days at the most, and you won't need to pay for a hotel or anything during that time. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No - all the interviews take place within a given period, so you only need to go to Oxford once. Exactly when your interviews will take place depends on subject; the interview schedule is available here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...view-timetable

You do have to pay for the plane ticket, but accommodation and food is provided by the college free of charge. I would suggest aiming to arrive slightly ahead of schedule if possible in case you end up needing more time than anticipated to travel (eg if your schedule says arrive by 2pm, try to arrive in the morning). If you need an additional night's worth of accommodation, make sure you contact your college.

Also, I would not necessarily say that Skype interviews are any worse than interviewing in person (apart from subjects which require all applicants to be interviewed in Oxford obviously eg medicine). I know plenty of people who have gotten in via Skype interviews, and Oxford have been running them for a while now (this should be their 5th year), so the tutors should be reasonably familiar with it.

ReputationRep:
    As everyone has told you, the interviews are held in the same period of time, so you would only need to travel to oxford once. You'll have to pay the plane ticket, but accomodaton will be provided by the college.

I'd also like to add that as far as I'm concerned, if you are from the EU you can't choose to hold the interview via Skype unless you are unable to travel to Oxford due to special circumstances.

I'm also applying to Oxford, best luck to all of you!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.