The Student Room Group

Applying to Trinity College Dublin from England

I'm interested in applying to TCD to study something like History and English or History for 2017 entry (I know this is early but I want to know in advance if there's any point in me going on open days etc.)

However, due to the new A-level reforms, A-levels are supposedly "much harder" so my school recommended that we take 3 A-levels and an EPQ in Year 12 instead of 4 through both years.
When I just looked at the Trinity applications website, they look at:

"their best 4 GCE Advanced level (A2) subjects from one academic year
or

their best 3 GCE Advanced level (A2) subjects from one academic year plus one Advanced Subsidiary level (AS) in a different subject from the same or the preceding academic year only."

I'm worried that my points wouldn't be high enough to qualify for entry into competitive courses, or whether my EPQ would be qualified as an AS in a different subject?
Any help or information would be much appreciated !! Thank you
Original post by Magniloquent
I'm interested in applying to TCD to study something like History and English or History for 2017 entry (I know this is early but I want to know in advance if there's any point in me going on open days etc.)

However, due to the new A-level reforms, A-levels are supposedly "much harder" so my school recommended that we take 3 A-levels and an EPQ in Year 12 instead of 4 through both years.
When I just looked at the Trinity applications website, they look at:

"their best 4 GCE Advanced level (A2) subjects from one academic year
or

their best 3 GCE Advanced level (A2) subjects from one academic year plus one Advanced Subsidiary level (AS) in a different subject from the same or the preceding academic year only."

I'm worried that my points wouldn't be high enough to qualify for entry into competitive courses, or whether my EPQ would be qualified as an AS in a different subject?
Any help or information would be much appreciated !! Thank you

Hi, I saw that you haven't got a response yet - I am not sure how helpful I will be but I can certainly try.

English is one of the most popular subjects and, as English Studies alone it required 505 points for entry in 2015. It can be combined with History in the Two Subject Moderatorship and would need between 515-530 points. So you are correct in saying that you will need to take four full A levels to be able to get the points required. Unfortunately I don't believe that EPQs count towards the points.

History alone was 485 points, but History is also one of the subjects which is part of a feasibility study being run by the university which follows the UK model of admissions - including interview, personal statement and supplementary materials, and contextual information. You can apply both by the points entry and for the study entry. There are ten places available by latter. You can check online if it is open to UK students.

Please remember that UK student loans are not valid for Ireland so you will need to be sure that you can afford to study in Dublin!
Original post by Helen_in_Ireland
Hi, I saw that you haven't got a response yet - I am not sure how helpful I will be but I can certainly try.

English is one of the most popular subjects and, as English Studies alone it required 505 points for entry in 2015. It can be combined with History in the Two Subject Moderatorship and would need between 515-530 points. So you are correct in saying that you will need to take four full A levels to be able to get the points required. Unfortunately I don't believe that EPQs count towards the points.

History alone was 485 points, but History is also one of the subjects which is part of a feasibility study being run by the university which follows the UK model of admissions - including interview, personal statement and supplementary materials, and contextual information. You can apply both by the points entry and for the study entry. There are ten places available by latter. You can check online if it is open to UK students.

Please remember that UK student loans are not valid for Ireland so you will need to be sure that you can afford to study in Dublin!

Sorry for not replying to this before, this is great, thank you!!
Reply 3
the points system for a-levels in the Irish system is as follows

for your first three a-levels for your fourth a level or as level
A* 180 60 -
A 150 50 30
B 130 45 25
C 100 35 20

So if ur hoping to get like A*A*A then you should be ok for a course requiring 505
Original post by lucebox
the points system for a-levels in the Irish system is as follows

for your first three a-levels for your fourth a level or as level
A* 180 60 -
A 150 50 30
B 130 45 25
C 100 35 20

So if ur hoping to get like A*A*A then you should be ok for a course requiring 505

Thank you for this - if I'm taking the EPQ then could this count as a fourth a-level?

Quick Reply

Latest