Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to get good grades at a college then? Or not?

ReputationRep:
    I go to college, and I haven't regretted it for a second. School (the strictness) didn't suit me at all, and I slacked off. In college I am getting much better grades because I'm not treated like an 8 year old. It is very possible to get good grades at college, and you'll make new friends. I still see my old friends all the time, though, so i have the best of both worlds

ReputationRep:
    College for sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atobuk)
    I go to college, and I haven't regretted it for a second. School (the strictness) didn't suit me at all, and I slacked off. In college I am getting much better grades because I'm not treated like an 8 year old. It is very possible to get good grades at college, and you'll make new friends. I still see my old friends all the time, though, so i have the best of both worlds
    Ah that's cool
    I'm more inclined to go to the college now...

(Original post by CHL)
    College for sure
    Care to explain why?

ReputationRep:
    i had this problem, although our local college is among the top in the country, my school was amazing. but i wanted to do psychology and economics which my school didn't offer so i left all my friends and went to college.

i am so glad i did that cos i love the atmopshere of my college and the social life and the fact they treat you like adults unlike my school which was very petty about rules. yes i might get slighty lower grades, but that's only because i go out too much now! at school i was a bit miserabale and i don't think i really fitted in, and although it was hard leaving some of my friends i managed to keep in contatct with most of them and i've never regretted leaving school at all. my twin brother decided to stay at school for his A levels and i think he's kind of a a bit jealous about how much freedom i get and i think i've got a lot more out of these 2 years than he has and i feel a lot more ready for university cos of it, it's sort of bridged the gap between school and uni.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    I know that there have been a few threads on this before, but this is slightly different.
    Should I go to this really good school's sixth form to do A-levels, where I will hardly have to do any work to get good grades, but they have a narrow selection of choices, and force you to do general stuides?
    OR
    Should I go to this sixth form college, where I will have to work harder to get good grades, but they have two A-levels that I'd really like to do, and they don't make you do general studies?

I know it sounds simple, but my mum thinks it is a 'bad idea' going to the college, because I will be surrounded by 'thick people'. From my experience of the school, and from what my sister has told me (she goes there) they people there aren't 'bright' at all.

So, any advice would be appriciated.
    They force you to do general studies? Doesn't sound like a very bright sixth form, it souds like one which smothers personal learning. You've got to spend two years studying for those a levels to get top grades, might as well make the process a bit less painful by doing ones you enjoy. go to the sixth form college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    i had this problem, although our local college is among the top in the country, my school was amazing. but i wanted to do psychology and economics which my school didn't offer so i left all my friends and went to college.

i am so glad i did that cos i love the atmopshere of my college and the social life and the fact they treat you like adults unlike my school which was very petty about rules. yes i might get slighty lower grades, but that's only because i go out too much now! at school i was a bit miserabale and i don't think i really fitted in, and although it was hard leaving some of my friends i managed to keep in contatct with most of them and i've never regretted leaving school at all. my twin brother decided to stay at school for his A levels and i think he's kind of a a bit jealous about how much freedom i get and i think i've got a lot more out of these 2 years than he has and i feel a lot more ready for university cos of it, it's sort of bridged the gap between school and uni.

lou xxx
    It is sounding increasingly like I am going to the college then...
    Now to convince my mum to let me go there instead :rolleyes:
    Another thing about the school is that there's a really stupid new headmaster who's enforced loads of stupid rules, like no sitting on the grass outside :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    Is it possible to get good grades at a college then? Or not?
    Absolutely. If you're used to pushing yourself to a reasonable extenet, you'll get good grades wherever you go.

To be honest, most of the people I know do no work and still get A's and B's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Absolutely. If you're used to pushing yourself to a reasonable extenet, you'll get good grades wherever you go.

To be honest, most of the people I know do no work and still get A's and B's.
    Woah how? I wanna know their secret. Theyre either taking doss subjects such as music or they are really really clever. Coz i got decent grades at gcse (8A's/A*'s, 2B's) and I still had to do a hell of a lot of work to do my AS's. To get A's in mock tests i had to work and revise and not just revise the night b4 the exam.

Also if ur staying at the school u did ur gcse's at then it is better as most of ur friends r there, u know the teachers and u know the school pretty well, so u dont have to leave some time to settle in. My sixth form is part of a school for ages 3-18 and i love it. Also they treat u with respect and the teachers talk to u more like an adult, and r more chatty in lessons. We r not made to do things we dont want to, but there are oppertunities to run clubs, be part of clubs and become prefects and stuff like that if we want to. Though the one bad thing is that were not allowed to come in and go as we please we have to be in at 8:40 in the morning and cant leave until after 12 if we have free lessons.

ReputationRep:
    i go to 6th form and i love it here, i'll be sad to leave.

Then again i have been here since year 7 and we are all good good friends so that was an advantage.

i chose to stay at my school and not go to the 6th form college because it is a bit rubbish really whereas i love my school, i don't get chased by teachers for work-they see it as if i don't do it then its my own fault however when it comes to coursework deadlines they will. another reason i chose it was because i knew i could do quite well in art and drama there and i find making friends difficult so staying atleast meant that i knew people

we had to do general studies AS and a2 was optional but im doing it

we had like 3 lessons ever for it which i skived and i still did well last year (my best AS, which is embarrassing really) i doubt your school would make you have loads of lessons for it if they do just dont go

then its like a few hours writing *******s about designer babies and suchlike (i just tend to go into rants about anything irritating me) and voila an extra a level.

i reallty wouldnt let it influence your decision if they make you do it or not. personally i think its a good idea to do it anyway if you have the opportunity. if you miss a grade for your uni offer, things like an A in GS. can sway their decision a bit..

rosie

ReputationRep:
    if you got a 6th form in your school, i say stay!!
    but if you want independants and want to learn by yourself, go to a college.

if you at a school, and decide to go to another school that has a 6th form. dont do it!!!! I warn you now. you find it difficult to fit in and you will feel isolate. I should know cos thats what i did and now i regret not going to a college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    Should I go to this really good school's sixth form to do A-levels, where I will hardly have to do any work to get good grades, but they have a narrow selection of choices, and force you to do general stuides?
    OR
    Should I go to this sixth form college, where I will have to work harder to get good grades, but they have two A-levels that I'd really like to do, and they don't make you do general studies?
    You may have to work harder at college but if you are doing subjects you enjoy then it won't feel like you are working harder. Personally I think your secision should be based on the subjects you are taking.

As others have said college is a bridge between school and uni, so you will get some independence.

Tell your parents you need the A levels at college to get into uni.

(Original post by yeahyeahyeahs)
    if you got a 6th form in your school, i say stay!!
    but if you want independants and want to learn by yourself, go to a college.

if you at a school, and decide to go to another school that has a 6th form. dont do it!!!! I warn you now. you find it difficult to fit in and you will feel isolate. I should know cos thats what i did and now i regret not going to a college.
    several people joined our school 6th form from other schools and they all seem to have fitted in well and have lots of friends, they definitely aren't isolated in our school but then places are different

rosie

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.