The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Which is the best accommodation hall at University of Southampton?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by miss_samantha
Only 20 mins bus ride from campus, and even if you're at Glen/Wessex you'll still need to take a bus to the hosp anyway. You have a free bus pass as a fresher so you might aswell use it. Glen Eyre/ Mayflower are around about the same price i believe depending on whether you want to share facilities. Living in Eyre means you'll have to take a cab or a bus everywhere, and in consideration of money, i dont know how much you go out of an evening but the clubs are all walking distance from Mayflower (literally everyone) which means you dont have to pay for an expensive cab back. All weighs up at the end of the day.

Hmm, fair enough. I guess I'll have to weigh all these options beforehand! Thanks for the insight :smile:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by BristolFresher15
Hmm, fair enough. I guess I'll have to weigh all these options beforehand! Thanks for the insight :smile:

More than welcome. If you need anymore help you know where i am x
Original post by LumosNox
Hi! I'm currently in Bencraft. I really like it. Is there anything in particular that you wanted to know? It's more than £10 per week cheaper than the next one. Currently it's £89 per week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, sorry for the several months later reply. I've tried to view Bencraft online but the page for the images seems to be redirected. Are you in shared accommodation or single room? Does Bencraft have quite a community feel? Also, how close are you go main campus? Thanks
Original post by blissfullyabsent
Hi, sorry for the several months later reply. I've tried to view Bencraft online but the page for the images seems to be redirected. Are you in shared accommodation or single room? Does Bencraft have quite a community feel? Also, how close are you go main campus? Thanks

No worries! I can't imagine why the mages don't work, but I'd suggest looking at the Residences Facebook page for more pictures. I'm in a single room shared accommodation, so I have my own bedroom and I share facilities with everyone in my flat. So far, I've never had to wait to shower or use the toilet, it's 7 of us to 2 toilets and I shower. I'd say it does have quite a community feel, I can recognise most people on sight as being from Bencraft and everyone's really nice. In terms of walking distance, we're about 15/20 minutes walk (it depends how fast you go), but the bus takes 8 minutes or so to get to main campus. You can be in the city centre in 25 mins.

To put it in perspective, me and one of my flatmates are considering living together here next year. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a 1st year currently in Bencraft too, but I'm considering applying for halls next year as a back up plan, although probably not at bencraft again unless all my other options are declines. Would anyone recommend the best halls for 2nd years?
Still don't know whether I want to apply for Wessex Lane or Mayflower - the former is in the better location but I love the new accommodation... :/
Original post by Alexion
Still don't know whether I want to apply for Wessex Lane or Mayflower - the former is in the better location but I love the new accommodation... :/

Wessex Lane deffo tops Mayflower in terms of closeness to uni! Literally 15 minute walk to uni from Wessex and also the bus stops right outside every 8-10 minutes during the day!! Also, the rooms in Mayflower are much smaller then the ones in Wessex Lane, and you also pay less for it! Yeah, Mayflower might be a bit more modern, but it's way further away from the uni and is so much more expensive than Wessex! :smile: Any questions- just ask, I'm 1st year living in Wessex if you couldn't tell already!
Original post by jordan_s
Wessex Lane deffo tops Mayflower in terms of closeness to uni! Literally 15 minute walk to uni from Wessex and also the bus stops right outside every 8-10 minutes during the day!! Also, the rooms in Mayflower are much smaller then the ones in Wessex Lane, and you also pay less for it! Yeah, Mayflower might be a bit more modern, but it's way further away from the uni and is so much more expensive than Wessex! :smile: Any questions- just ask, I'm 1st year living in Wessex if you couldn't tell already!

Sounds like you only have positive things to say about it haha :smile:

What type of room are you in?
Original post by Alexion
Sounds like you only have positive things to say about it haha :smile:

What type of room are you in?

Because Monte is the best halls in Wessex :wink:

I'm in single en-suite :smile:
Original post by -sashadasha-
I'm a 1st year currently in Bencraft too, but I'm considering applying for halls next year as a back up plan, although probably not at bencraft again unless all my other options are declines. Would anyone recommend the best halls for 2nd years?

Hi, if you don't mind me asking, why would you not stay at Bencraft again?
Original post by blissfullyabsent
Hi, if you don't mind me asking, why would you not stay at Bencraft again?

Bencraft isn't a bad place, I love that it was cheap but you get what you pay for and other halls are nicer from what I've seen but I have thoroughly enjoyed Bencraft. The shower always made a squeaking sound since the start, and radiators would make a tapping sound when they come on which was frustrating in the early morning since I'm a light sleeper but apparently this is a normal occurrence in most houses. The hot taps would usually be unbearably hot so to use hot water would be best mixing with some cold. Honestly though, it really wasn't that bad and with the squeaking shower me and my flatmates just agreed to not have showers past 12 at night since I was the room next to the shower and it was hard to sleep through. It's really all down to what you're looking for, I was happy with cheap and cheerful and gave me extra spending money and there is an online app called planon where you can report any maintenance issues and they were generally really good and fixed the problem the next day. I'm only considering elsewhere since I'm thinking about a change of scenery and an upgrade in accommodation but I wouldn't be annoyed if I had to live there again.
Reply 31
Hi :smile: I hope to be starting at Southampton in September but I'm not sure what halls to choose. Mayflower or Glen Eyre appeal the most but as I'll be studying History on Avenue Campus I don't know if these two are too far away? Any thoughts from current students would be appreciated!
Glen eyre is probably about a 20ish min walk from avenue, it's pretty much a direct route and you can catch a bus that goes past there. Saying that mayflower also has 2 busses which go straight to avenue campus so depends if you prefer walking sometimes or don't mind bussing everyday. The buses are very frequent from mayflower (but the walk is very long) whilst the buses from glen eyre are every 20 mins. Hope this helps
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by -sashadasha-
Glen eyre is probably about a 20ish min walk from avenue, it's pretty much a direct route and you can catch a bus that goes past there. Saying that mayflower also has 2 busses which go straight to avenue campus so depends if you prefer walking sometimes or don't mind bussing everyday. The buses are very frequent from mayflower (but the walk is very long) whilst the buses from glen eyre are every 20 mins. Hope this helps

Thanks, that helps quite a lot as I was worried that only Highfield Halls or another smaller one would be feasible. Would you say that one is better than the other? I'm looking for somewhere that has a good social scene but isn't too party crazy. I've heard that Glen Eyre is known as "the party block" - do you know if this is true? Sorry for all the questions!
Reply 34
Hi, I'm hopefully starting Acoustical Engineering (Highfield Campus) in Septemer 2016, and trying to decide between Wessex Lane and Glen Eyre, as they both seem to have a good amount of facilities for a decent price + they're both quite close to Highfield.
I'm quite interested in joining a gym in Uni, and it says there's one in WL to be used with sport and wellbeing membership, whereas in GE there's a fitness suite. Is there any difference, or does anyone know if either of them come as part of the weekly cost?

Original post by joslar
Hi, I'm hopefully starting Acoustical Engineering (Highfield Campus) in Septemer 2016, and trying to decide between Wessex Lane and Glen Eyre, as they both seem to have a good amount of facilities for a decent price + they're both quite close to Highfield.
I'm quite interested in joining a gym in Uni, and it says there's one in WL to be used with sport and wellbeing membership, whereas in GE there's a fitness suite. Is there any difference, or does anyone know if either of them come as part of the weekly cost?

Id put glen first then wessex lane. The wellbeing pass can be used at any gym facolities all iver the shop.
Reply 36
Original post by miss_samantha
Id put glen first then wessex lane. The wellbeing pass can be used at any gym facolities all iver the shop.

Thanks for the quick reply! Glen looks like the best option
Hey guys :smile:

Are you still on to look out for your perfect accommodation in Southampton for September?

Have you considered looking into private accommodation in the city centre? If so, have a look at Vita Student Southampton!

We offer high end accommodation located right next to University of Southampton bus stops and only a 20 minute bus ride to the main campus! Absolutely everything is included, all bills, breakfast Monday - Friday, weekly cleaning service, 250mb of broadband and WiFi, gym membership, bedding pack, designer kitchen appliances, 32 inch smart tv and license and so much more!

If you want anymore information about Vita Student, please get in touch here!!

Sophie :smile:
https://www.vitastudent.com/about-us/the-experience/
Reply 38
Any postgraduates around, where are you applying for accommodation for this year?

Does a category 2 en-suite room preference has higher chances of being put into some newer buildings in Glen or Monte? I am really undecided and should send the application today or tomorrow, and its hard to make a choice since all sites have their cons and benefits. So far, Glen seems like the best choice, followed by Mayflower (a combination of a bit longer ride than Monte, but with newer facilities and closer to IKEA :biggrin:) and then Wessex.

And then there's Archer's Road, which seems to have a separate building for postgraduates, and it has its own mix of proximity to both Highfield and the city centre...

Is Chamberlain in function this year, any way to "target" it with some specific set of choices? Does anyone know has a length of contract have effect on placement?
Reply 39
Hey guys,
I have got an accommodation offer for Glen Eyre Chancellors Court, Non-ensuite room. I however have a preference of an ensuite room. I called the accommodation team and they said a room swap might be possible if anyone would want a non-ensuite room.
If anyone would be interested in a swap, and has a ENSUITE ROOM, please do contact me. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending