Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have recently swapped from studying German and a beginners language with translation studies to just straight german with translation. I really wasn't enjoying my beginners language and it was affecting how much I enjoyed university. However, now i am a little worried about my job prospectuses in the future. There are people on my course who are studying two or three modern languages and in comparison to them I can't help but feel a bit worried about job prospects in the future, specially if I want to get into teaching and don't have a second foreign language to offer. I have thought about taking evening classes in another language I have learnt in the past. Are there any exams that i can take in the language I study independently that will reflect the same quality of a university degree in that language? Any thoughts about the situation I am in? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Have a look if your university do optional languages classes (they're usually called 'languages for all' or something like that). You can generally pay extra to do an exam at the end, which can be internationally recognised depending on what exam it is

I'm learning German this way, just one evening a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeaAndSugar)
    Have a look if your university do optional languages classes (they're usually called 'languages for all' or something like that). You can generally pay extra to do an exam at the end, which can be internationally recognised depending on what exam it is

I'm learning German this way, just one evening a week.
    yeah, there is a language centre nearby where i can pick up a beginners language that i actually want to study!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I think studying just one language is fine, it is certainly preferable to studying a language you don't enjoy. If you wanted to be a translator then you may find it hard to get work with just German, but all other employers would be OK with it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.