Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've posted- I hope you all are well.

Now, I am in Year 11 now, and I am currently filling out my Sixth Form sheet. I have all the confidence I'll be able to get in- 13 GCSEs, predicted A* in 7 of them, and no lower than a B (only in 1 subject).

Now, I also have huge aspirations to go to Oxford. I want to study French and Linguistics, but I feel that my actual potential courses that I'll pick will tip it.
    I want to study French, Classical Civilisation, English Language and Drama and Theatrical Studies.

This all seems fine, but I have read many a place that having such a subject as Drama on your UCAS form will make universities such as Oxford less likely to pick you. The problem is that I am using theatre as my backup plan, despite not being the best actor. I adore theatre, and there are no other choices that I have that I want to study- for a long, long time I have wanted to study all these subjects.

Bonus question: Is it practically possible to do 6 AS Levels? I've been told that the school want me to do AS Dance (which I also want to do) and my Latin teacher wants me to do Latin at A Level (which I am doing on my own for GCSE).

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    6 is way too much

The quantity of the A Levels don't matter a lot compared to the quality

Eg AAA is better than ABBB at A Level

ReputationRep:
    Tbh 6 would be way too much, especially considering the fact that you will be given no special preference anyway. Also, you would have such a variety of work to which would be tough and I am sure you would rather get 3/4 brilliant grades than 6 average grades. And coming back to your subjects, Oxford is a very oversubscribed uni and therefore you have to present a competitive application to be considered and unless they completely disregard drama, I don't think you have to worry much. But if it could potentially affect your chances, maybe you could reconsider it?

ReputationRep:
    you dont need 5, 6 or even 4, you need 3 solid grades and as someone previously said 3 high grades is much better than 4 lower grades

If I were you, I would take French, Latin and English (Lit+Land or just Lit) and then take one of Drama, Dance or whatever as an extra AS level if you enjoy it, it shouldn't make them look down on your application anyway as there is no requirement for the 4th A/AS level, if anything it shows a more diverse range of skills.

taking 6 would be way too much work, you're GCSEs are very good however i have seen people with all A*/A grade GCSEs go on to achieve lower that Cs in A level and that just with taking the standard 3/4

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Do not take 6, or even 5. It is not going to boost your application. 4 AS Levels (some Universities require 4 AS and 3 A Levels, so I would recommend taking 4) is a very good amount.

It would be a better idea to take English Literature. Some uni's dislike Language. If you want to keep the aspects of Language, as another poster suggested, do English Lang & Lit. I'd also recommend Drama to be the subject you drop from AS to A Level if you do choose to drop one (remember that it is not necessary to take 4 A Levels and will not boost your application and it's a good idea to focus on less subjects and get better grades).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeenPolyglot)
    Bonus question: Is it practically possible to do 6 AS Levels? I've been told that the school want me to do AS Dance (which I also want to do) and my Latin teacher wants me to do Latin at A Level (which I am doing on my own for GCSE).
    A few people do 6 AS levels. I'm doing 5 A2s and 1 AS this year. It's definitely possible, as long as you have no social life and can function with <6 hours sleep. Don't expect any extra love from universities; only do it if you love all of the subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    A few people do 6 AS levels. I'm doing 5 A2s and 1 AS this year. It's definitely possible, as long as you have no social life and can function with <6 hours sleep. Don't expect any extra love from universities; only do it if you love all of the subjects.
    No social life and fewer than 6 hours sleep are already what occurs in my agenda! I do truly love all the subjects- I've already started AS-Level French and I'm in Year 11!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've posted- I hope you all are well.

Now, I am in Year 11 now, and I am currently filling out my Sixth Form sheet. I have all the confidence I'll be able to get in- 13 GCSEs, predicted A* in 7 of them, and no lower than a B (only in 1 subject).

Now, I also have huge aspirations to go to Oxford. I want to study French and Linguistics, but I feel that my actual potential courses that I'll pick will tip it.
    I want to study French, Classical Civilisation, English Language and Drama and Theatrical Studies.

This all seems fine, but I have read many a place that having such a subject as Drama on your UCAS form will make universities such as Oxford less likely to pick you. The problem is that I am using theatre as my backup plan, despite not being the best actor. I adore theatre, and there are no other choices that I have that I want to study- for a long, long time I have wanted to study all these subjects.

Thanks!
    Don't bother doing Drama or Theatrical Studies. It's just a waste of time and if you're passionate about it there's no reason why you can't do stuff after school.

Most successful applicants will have 4 subjects which are either facilitating or well respected.

Do French, Classical Civilisation, English Literature and Latin.

ReputationRep:
    No social life and fewer than 6 hours sleep are already what occurs in my agenda! I do truly love all the subjects- I've already started AS-Level French and I'm in Year 11!
    That's a good start. If you really want to do 6, go for it – you can drop a subject after a few weeks if it's too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Don't bother doing Drama or Theatrical Studies. It's just a waste of time and if you're passionate about it there's no reason why you can't do stuff after school.

Most successful applicants will have 4 subjects which are either facilitating or well respected.

Do French, Classical Civilisation, English Literature and Latin.

If you ask me, mate, there's no such thing as a pointless A-Level- apart from maybe General Studies.
    Besides, my mum doesn't allow me to do anything after school out of school- mainly because she's waaaayyy too overprotective.
    Everyone's telling me to take English Literature, but I'd much, much rather do language. Is there any particular preference?

ReputationRep:
    If you ask me, mate, there's no such thing as a pointless A-Level- apart from maybe General Studies.
    Besides, my mum doesn't allow me to do anything after school out of school- mainly because she's waaaayyy too overprotective.
    Everyone's telling me to take English Literature, but I'd much, much rather do language. Is there any particular preference?
    Universities prefer english literature but you can do both as one a level. By the way I did classics for a few weeks and its really good.

ReputationRep:
    The issue with subjects like drama and theatre studies is, yes, it equips you for those types of fields career wise. But in the context for you, if you're wanting to study French and Linguistics it isn't really going to help you in any way. Admittedly a subject like Maths wouldn't really either - but maths is much more applicable to all kinds of jobs/degrees and is flexible. You may have a change of heart and if you decide to choose very specific A-levels you won't have much of a change to what you want do - hence why facilitating subjects are REALLY important and advantageous.

Just tell your mum you're 16 and she should stop holding you back from ways you can enjoy your hobbies - yes it is rude, but it is honest. If you're almost old enough to get married and have children - you should be able to do stuff after school.

English literature is much more respected, language is seen as the 'softer' of the two and is completely different to what it was at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    The issue with subjects like drama and theatre studies is, yes, it equips you for those types of fields career wise. But in the context for you, if you're wanting to study French and Linguistics it isn't really going to help you in any way. Admittedly a subject like Maths wouldn't really either - but maths is much more applicable to all kinds of jobs/degrees and is flexible. You may have a change of heart and if you decide to choose very specific A-levels you won't have much of a change to what you want do - hence why facilitating subjects are REALLY important and advantageous.

Just tell your mum you're 16 and she should stop holding you back from ways you can enjoy your hobbies - yes it is rude, but it is honest. If you're almost old enough to get married and have children - you should be able to do stuff after school.

English literature is much more respected, language is seen as the 'softer' of the two and is completely different to what it was at GCSE.
    Thanks for the advice regarding the facilitating subjects!

Now, with the English A-Levels, I'm wondering- how much do the different A-Levels regard Linguistics?

That's to say- I can read IPA really quickly, I understand all about different fricatives, affricates, labials, dentals etc.(ie. phonology). I am pretty darn amazing with grammar, syntax etc. which are all the true areas I adore and want to study.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.