Turn on thread page Beta

Love doing masters degrees! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/michigan-ma...ry?id=16597200

Look at this guy!

I'm not sure I want to go to the extremes that he has (i don't have the resources) but i love his enthusiasm and dedication to learning.

I have a number of subjects i am interested in and have an interest in teaching in fe or doing a phd. I am willing to do more masters if able to (i am waiting for the results on my second masters and am currently doing a PgCert). Omg i would love to cover a masters in every subject that is of interest to me: psychology, english, creative writing, history, animal welfare, acting, geography.

I know this sounds pretty damn nuts maybe but surely there must be more people out there who just love studying and see it as a pleasure to do it. The way I see it is that studying hasn't distracted me from achieving other things in terms of career goals (i feel my options are enhanced) and although financially there are limitations as to how much i can do at once, i feel that whilst some people might want to spend money on holiday/car/clothes/nights out/meals out, my treat to me from me is more courses.

does anybody else feel the same?

ReputationRep:
    I do, however time and money comes against these ideals.

ReputationRep:
    I also love to study, but not everyone has the resources to do even one master's, never mind two plus a PG Cert...

ReputationRep:
    I've actually been a low earner most of my life (worked as a beauty therapist for the most period of time so far). The study I love to do has come with financial sacrifices. I'm not minted (far from it!) but I've adjusted my life balance to accommodate what is important to me. It hasn't been (and is still not) easy.

It's like the guy in America working as a cleaner. I suspect the hours suit him and he doesn't mind living as a poor student because the pleasure of the studying gives him what he wants in life.

Horses for courses (I'm not a horse but yeah).

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you want to study and how you go about it. To be honest, I think I'll end up doing something similar or at least ending up doing OU courses my whole life - learning/studying gives me a sense of purpose and gives me targets/goals. I like that kind of structure.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my third one, and I don't think I'm done yet. But I do have a full-time career and enjoy having free weekends. I can see the appeal of studying solely for personal interest, but then you're limiting your career progression. It's a trade-off between what you value and enjoy doing. You're never too old to stop learning!

ReputationRep:
    Third one. Awesome! what subjects?

My current course is distance learning part time. Definitely important to keep a balance if doing more study is a longterm aspect of life

ReputationRep:
    Can identify with what you say about the goals and structure that comes with online learning. It's rewarding and worthwhile to challenge yourself

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the point of having a ton of masters degrees. You can study those subjects in your free time, you dont have to go to uni to have a piece of paper. Didnt it cost him money? Employers are satisfied with one masters degree.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at the tail end of my second masters degree at the moment (working on the dissertation) Not sure if I want to do another one - maybe in the future but I want to take a few years break and do some other things in my spare time. I also have two undergrad degrees - a BSc(Hons) and an LLb(Hons).

ReputationRep:
    Employment goals are teaching in fe and or phd. Doing more masters has value for giving me more choices.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on my fourth degree but there's been progression and variation (from science through education to social science). Oh and the Offshore Yachtmaster theory qualification thrown into the mix, nothing like a bit of practical maths to stretch your brain. I'm consistently inconsistent with my studies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I'm at the tail end of my second masters degree at the moment (working on the dissertation) Not sure if I want to do another one - maybe in the future but I want to take a few years break and do some other things in my spare time. I also have two undergrad degrees - a BSc(Hons) and an LLb(Hons).
    Out of interest, what caused you to do two undergrad degrees and which one did you end up making a career out of? I ask since I'm about to start a second undergrad (BSc) after a BA and and I don't often find people who've done the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    Just be aware that you only get a student loan for one undergraduate degree. Once you've done one undergraduate degree it can make more sense in terms of time and money to do a postgraduate degree (although my undergraduate degree is in drama, I have found that with a strong personal statement it is possible to be accepted to study a wide range of postgraduate degrees...because postgraduates bring money to a university, if a course isn't oversubscribed i can see why a uni would offer a place on a course if they believe you can complete it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Out of interest, what caused you to do two undergrad degrees and which one did you end up making a career out of? I ask since I'm about to start a second undergrad (BSc) after a BA and and I don't often find people who've done the same thing.
    I made my career from my first undergrad degree which was a BSc(Hons) in Construction Management. I did my LLb(Hons) with the Open University but never really applied it career-wise. It's just a "nice to have"

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.