Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm not homophobic but.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    why do gay men seem to talk about sex/in a "sexual" way more openly/explicitly?

(I have nothing against gay people btw.. just curious. Maybe it is just the ones I know haha)

ReputationRep:
    You don't think straight people talk about sex all the time?

Maybe you just don't notice straight people talking about it because it's passed off as normal in your brain; you only notice it when it's sex that you don't like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treeroy)
    You don't think straight people talk about sex all the time?

Maybe you just don't notice straight people talking about it because it's passed off as normal in your brain; you only notice it when it's sex that you don't like.
    Hi Treeroy, I know you're gay.

The OP makes it obvious I don't dislike gay sex. Don't put words in my mouth. :rolleyes:

Sometimes someone's talking like this and I only find out later he's gay too.

ReputationRep:
    Because they are attention seekers, duh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zyzzyspirit)
    Because they are attention seekers, duh...
    There are attention seekers who are straight too.

I know loads of straight "lads" as you say in England who talk like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwedishRedhead)
    why do gay men seem to talk about sex/in a "sexual" way more openly/explicitly?

(I have nothing against gay people btw.. just curious. Maybe it is just the ones I know haha)
    Do they? I've never noticed that among any gay friends lol

Maybe there's no pretense there. They feel more comfortable being sexually open in that environment, whereas straight people can be more open in general because their sexuality is seen as the norm.

ReputationRep:
    Well, work it out. What's the common factor? They're both men. Women are more reserved about that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamlover)
    Well, work it out. What's the common factor? They're both men. Women are more reserved about that sort of thing.
    This.
    Also lots of lad type straight guys are extremely explicit. How can it be possible not to notice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Straight men don't chat about sex in front of women, and straight women don't chat about sex in front of men. Whereas I imagine gay men can both identify as having a chat with the lads about sex because it's what men do, while camp gays also often identify as "one of the girls" and subsequently chat about sex with them. So there's probably no barrier for them that says "ladies present, can't talk about sex right now" and so seem to talk about it more openly.

That's my 2p's worth anyway

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.