The Student Room Group

Sorry I didn't know where to put this but I need help asap

Deteled
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by annagaga
I was recently dismissed from work for gross misconduct and attempt theft. The police weren't involved it was handled all through my work managers and so on.I had an investigation and the a disciplinary hearing, where I was told I was going to be dismissed. I was wondering if this will show up on my DBS form or and enhanced DBS form?I really don't know what I am going to do, I asked if I should give in my resignation before it all, but they weren't helpful at all towards me. What I did was totally out of character and it's not what I'm like at all. I'm really good, I do charity work and volunteering. It was a utter mistake and I know what I did was really stupid and now I'm stressed I've messed my whole life up!Someone please help I don't know if I should appeal my dismissal or what, no-one has helped me at all!

There is no point appealing your dismissal if you did what you did. Actions have consequences and unfortunately you just have to deal with them accordingly.

I can't answer about the DBS I'm afraid because I don't know. Will probably be at your employers discretion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It wont be on your dbs check as the police werent involved , so panic over
Reply 3
Deleted
(edited 8 years ago)
Otheremployers could find out from a reference , how old are you?

It wont be on an enhanced form either
Will other employers be able to find out this information?

Will it show up on an enhanced DBS from?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just so upset and feel stupid, I don't want to have messed everything up for myself

It won't show up on your DBS if the police weren't involved - you've already just been told this. DBS checks your cautions and criminal convictions. You have not had a caution or conviction so it won't show up.

Other employers will be able to find out if you list your previous employer as a referee. The best thing for you to do now when applying for jobs is to not list this employer at all. Otherwise when they give you a reference they will most likely list what you did as your 'reason for leaving' and you will not be offered a job.
Reply 6
Deleted
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Deleted
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm 18 I have never done anything wrong in my life, it was a stupid moment of madness!
I stole some makeup and I was planning on returning the next day, I only wanted it for a night out because I didn't have much of my own left!

As your only a young one your cv wont look weird with the job missing.

I would say take it off your cv, dont use them as a reference and just learn your lesson- you had a very lucky escape.
Reply 9
Deleted
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Deleted
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry I was wondering what if a new employer does a background check, will they be able to find out I was dismissed for theft and misconduct??

No, no new employer will know because the police weren't involved and you won't be using them for a reference,
How long were you in this job?
Reply 13
Deleted
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Deleted
(edited 8 years ago)
2 1/2 yrs

Listen - your next employer will want to know what you have been doing since the day you left education. Was this job full time?
Over 2 yrs is a long time to make disappear - unless you also did voluntary work all that time too. Then you could say you only did that.
But they may want to know why you didn't get a paid job and how you supported yourself financially.
You have to get the answers sorted in your head.
If you worked for Super Drug or somewhere similar then avoid work like this forever - it only takes one person to notice you in a similar job and they could tell your new boss.
So change your job completely - preferably one where you won't be seen publically.
One things for certain - never confide your dismissal to anyone at your next job.
Let it become the past and never step out of line again

Oh - and there's no 'file' anywhere about your previous employment.
There's only what your next employer wants to check.
The only thing you have to do is account for your time.
Reply 17
Deleted
(edited 8 years ago)
Your mum may mention to your employer that you 'did' work at your other place.
It bound to come out in the conversation at some point, surely?
May be you need to level with your mum.
Reply 19
Deleted
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending