Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What Should I do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

So where to start?

I am currently in full time employment working as a Database Administrator. Not a bad job, I am enjoying working there, but i really want to go to uni.

Unfortunately when I was younger I wasn't focused at school or college.
    This is something i really regret now, I would give the world to go back and start year 7 again, but I cant. So my grades from school, not the worse but not great either. I pretty much got straight D's apart from Maths, no idea how that happened! I always suffered with not pushing myself, I am sure if i really tried. I could have got so much better grades. So at college i had the same problems. I had to do the National First Diploma in IT (BTEC) Thinking back it was the most easiest year of my life, i shouldn't have been in that course, it was too easy. I don not want to sound like I have a big ego, but i was in with people that did not even know how to open a spreadsheet! I forgot to mention that in school i got a M for double IT, sorry.

So I finished the first year in college with a D*. I also failed English again, D grade again! The second and third year I studied BTEC Extended Diploma in IT. Again my problems of not pushing myself set in. I failed English again!! I got a D, that was the first time I was shocked with my English results as I was progressing really well. I then finished my third. My final course result I achieved a DMM. I think this is around 240 UCAS points.

So i have no been working as a Database Admin for nearly 2 Years, I am now 23 and realised my mistake.

I am looking to go to uni but I am not sure I will get accepted anywhere, due to my GCSE grades.

Even though my job is not dead end type, I just want to go to uni now! I just wish I had focus all those years ago!!! Anyway, thanks for reading my life story. Question is, what should I do?

ReputationRep:
    You can attend night courses probably in a local college, where you can resit some GCSEs. You'd have to relearn the course because its changed quite a bit since you were in school. If you do well enough you could do your A levels in college as well which would help Uni prospects.

I say night courses because it means you could keep your job while you studied, as you'll still need to be earning money at this point

ReputationRep:
    You got a lot of "D"s in School.

you should sue your teachers for forced sexual assault.:no:

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.