Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are there any Muslim converts on here preferably from a judea-christian background? watch

I'd really like to get to know Islamophiles, Muslim Converts or those that are genuinely interested in Islam (i.e not to disapprove it or look down upon it but want to know more about it/knows a lot about it and sees it to be quiet beautiful).

It would be preferred if you're from a judeo-christian background but anyone's welcome to comment as long as you would like to talk about the Quran in a respectful manner rather than call the prophet a pedophile etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hilrho)
    I'd really like to get to know Islamophiles, Muslim Converts or those that are genuinely interested in Islam (i.e not to disapprove it or look down upon it but want to know more about it/knows a lot about it and sees it to be quiet beautiful).

It would be preferred if you're from a judeo-christian background but anyone's welcome to comment as long as you would like to talk about the Quran in a respectful manner rather than call the prophet a pedophile etc.
    There used to be a few around including ThatMuslimGuy, but don't know where they are these days.
    But we could help with any discussions and questions you might have.
    I also have a few questions about the bible so if you are well versed on it it might help my search.

(Original post by Al-farhan)
    There used to be a few around including ThatMuslimGuy, but don't know where they are these days.
    But we could help with any discussions and questions you might have.
    I also have a few questions about the bible so if you are well versed on it it might help my search.
    I don't have questions but rather wanted to have friends with views similar to mine but also with similar background to mine if that makes sense? I've been feeling quiet lonely in real life as my friends are so far away but even if they are near me it's like I don't connect with them, I'm not the same anymore, so I would really just like to be able to connect to someone who thinks similarly to me and stuff.

iAre Teh Lejend I'm sorry for not replying to the PM yet as my history exam is on the 22nd and it was a long one (not that I'm complaining - I like long PMs) but could chat here if you like ! Will reply though after the exams fosho. How are you anyways?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have questions but rather wanted to have friends with views similar to mine but also with similar background to mine if that makes sense? I've been feeling quiet lonely in real life as my friends are so far away but even if they are near me it's like I don't connect with them, I'm not the same anymore, so I would really just like to be able to connect to someone who thinks similarly to me and stuff.

iAre Teh Lejend I'm sorry for not replying to the PM yet as my history exam is on the 22nd and it was a long one (not that I'm complaining - I like long PMs) but could chat here if you like ! Will reply though after the exams fosho. How are you anyways?
    Hey hill! No no, don't apologise I completely understand and agree!

I'm doing good thanks, spent last weekend at my parents home, was good to see the family again. Back to uni now though, and it isn't too bad at all this year.

I do look forward to your reply aha

How are you doing ? How are the exams coming along ? Hope you're managing.

P.S I'm no convert, but sure I guess I can join the discussion

ReputationRep:

Hilary are you converting to Islam? If so,why? Genuinely want to know.

ReputationRep:
    I remember posting/replying to a previous thread of yours regarding converting. Which interpretation of Islam are you interested in? Would it be the more traditional interpretation that you are interested in?

I find progressive Islam to be interesting and can recommend some books if you are interested in exploring it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    I remember posting/replying to a previous thread of yours regarding converting. Which interpretation of Islam are you interested in? Would it be the more traditional interpretation that you are interested in?

I find progressive Islam to be interesting and can recommend some books if you are interested in exploring it.
    You mean like Sunni and Shia Islam? I thought there was only one interpretation

(Original post by iAre Teh Lejend)
    Hey hill! No no, don't apologise I completely understand and agree!

I'm doing good thanks, spent last weekend at my parents home, was good to see the family again. Back to uni now though, and it isn't too bad at all this year.

I do look forward to your reply aha

How are you doing ? How are the exams coming along ? Hope you're managing.

P.S I'm no convert, but sure I guess I can join the discussion
    Must've been nice! Was your nephew there and did you walk him into the garden again? How old is he? I love little kids I often visit orphanages here and because the nuns and the father knows me I get to organise 'fun days' for them and yeah love playing with kids!

I'm doing alright, although the amount of revision is getting to me! Also the fact that Im self-taught doesn't help, as I usually doubt myself with the subjects and would've really liked it if I could've gotten the kind of guidance kids who attend schools get. Oh well, hopefully I'll come out with an A.

That's alright, I'm sure we can still talk about our views and relate and stuff

(Original post by queen-bee)
    Hilary are you converting to Islam? If so,why? Genuinely want to know.
    Hey B, I haven't converted still but I've been contemplating it for so long. I'm happy to explain it further if you want to know?

ReputationRep:
    Must've been nice! Was your nephew there and did you walk him into the garden again? How old is he? I love little kids I often visit orphanages here and because the nuns and the father knows me I get to organise 'fun days' for them and yeah love playing with kids!

I'm doing alright, although the amount of revision is getting to me! Also the fact that Im self-taught doesn't help, as I usually doubt myself with the subjects and would've really liked it if I could've gotten the kind of guidance kids who attend schools get. Oh well, hopefully I'll come out with an A.

Hey B, I haven't converted still but I've been contemplating it for so long. I'm happy to explain it further if you want to know?
    Please do
    First of all,why Islam? Were you born a Jew? Have you looked into Christianity?

ReputationRep:
    No.

Please do
    First of all,why Islam? Were you born a Jew? Have you looked into Christianity?
    My grandmother from my mother's side is Jewish and my grandfather is Christian. My mom is an atheist though and as far as I know so was my dad. I wasn't indoctrinated but I have grown up around the world as my moms a diplomat and my friends are of so many different faiths so I know about a lot of religions and it seems as though I'm more interested in the Abrahamic religions than the Dharmic ones. I have met the Dalai Lama (although we haven't spoken lol as it was at a special event but I have spoken to others, I've spoken to Rabbis as well as the Minister at the churches and one of my closest friend is an Orthodox Ethiopian Christian. I've also had the chance to meet linguistic scholars of the Quran and one from Islamic Centre at Oxford and my best friend is a muslim hijabi (although we differ on interpretations in Islam). The reason I like Islam is because I feel as though Old Testament and Quran inherently preach a lot of the same things and I feel as though I'm not losing anything if I become a muslim whereas if I become jewish I can't believe in 2 less prophets and if I become Christian I can't believe in 1 less prophet. To be honest I never really was an atheist like my mother but I never believed in religion in particular either (although I did like the celebrations and everything). I was always an agnost but recently it just seems as though it's preposterous to think that there isn't a higher power - god, superman, whatever but something greater than all of us, greater than the forces of the universe and the laws of physics and everything. And I find as though my personal views are quite in sync with those of Islam. However at the same time I'm not sure I could call myself religious still as I am an Islamophile (I like the culture and everything) but I don't know if I am religious or not. And so I haven't converted.

(Original post by The Epicurean)
    I remember posting/replying to a previous thread of yours regarding converting. Which interpretation of Islam are you interested in? Would it be the more traditional interpretation that you are interested in?I find progressive Islam to be interesting and can recommend some books if you are interested in exploring it.
    Hey Epicurean, yes I remember you from a thread I made a while ago. I don't know what to call my interpretation of it - that's why I can't just speak to born muslims because I don't believe in everything they do whether it's Shia or Sunni, I don't even believe in sects and hence don't see someone as shia, sunni or sufi or anything really.

I still haven't converted, but I know that my views of things changed you know? So I was hoping to talk to converts and see if I'm in the process of becoming religious from agnost to muslim or if I'm just someone who happens to like the islamic culture. I also just wanted people to connect to with similar views to mine as I feel quite lonely.

But yes I would love to read those books if you'd give me the list

EDIT: You seem to be quite knowledgeable of Islam and tolerant, are you a convert yourself?

ReputationRep:
    You mean like Sunni and Shia Islam? I thought there was only one interpretation
    Not at all. There are clearly different interpretations. For example, what does the Quran say on modesty for women? Some would interpret it as requiring women to wear Niqabs, others would interpret it as simply wearing a veil and others would interpret it as merely dressing moderately (but not necessarily wearing a veil). There is by no means universal consensus among Muslims as to how this instruction for modesty should be applied in everyday life.

Then we also have more controversial issues such as homosexuality. How one interprets the story of Lut would depend on the individual. Progressive Muslims tend to have a more accepting stance towards homosexuality. In Indonesia for example, there are quite a number of vocal Muslim advocates for LGBT rights within Islam.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Epicurean, yes I remember you from a thread I made a while ago. I don't know what to call my interpretation of it - that's why I can't just speak to born muslims because I don't believe in everything they do whether it's Shia or Sunni, I don't even believe in sects and hence don't see someone as shia, sunni or sufi or anything really.
    Ah, I see. Fair enough.

I still haven't converted, but I know that my views of things changed you know? So I was hoping to talk to converts and see if I'm in the process of becoming religious from agnost to muslim or if I'm just someone who happens to like the islamic culture. I also just wanted people to connect to with similar views to mine as I feel quite lonely.
    Every convert is going to be different though. You are always going to find some differences and your own journey is going to be unique to you

But yes I would love to read those books if you'd give me the list
    This is just a quick varied list I complied and is by no means exhaustive.

Spoiler:
    Show
    A Quiet Revolution: The Veil's Resurgence, from the Middle East to America - Leila Ahmed

Progressive Muslims: On Justice, Gender, and Pluralism - Omid Safi

Sexual Ethics And Islam: Feminist Reflections on Qur'an, Hadith, and Jurisprudence - Kecia Ali

Qur'an and Woman: Rereading the Sacred Text from a Woman's Perspective - Amina Wadud

"Believing Women" in Islam: Unreading Patriarchal Interpretations of the Qur'an - Asma Barlas

Before Homosexuality in the Arab-Islamic World, 1500-1800 - Khaled El-Rouayheb

Living Out Islam: Voices of Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Muslims - Scott Siraj Al-Haqq Kugle

Homosexuality in Islam: Critical Reflection on Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Muslims - Scott Siraj Al-Haqq Kugle

Women Shaping Islam: Reading the Qu'ran in Indonesia - Pieternella van Doorn-Harder

Paradise Beneath Her Feet: How Women Are Transforming the Middle East - Isobel Coleman

How to Win a Cosmic War: God, Globalization, and the End of the War on Terror - Reza Aslan

The Great Theft: Wrestling Islam from the Extremists - Khaled Abou El Fadl

Islamic Pacifism: Global Muslims in the Post-Osama Era - Arsalan Iftikhar

The Second Message of Islam - Mahmud Muhammad Taha

The Place of Tolerance in Islam - Khaled Abou El Fadl

Inside The Gender Jihad: Women's Reform in Islam - Amina Wadud

Beyond the Veil: Male-Female Dynamics in Modern Muslim Society - Fatema Mernissi

The Future of Islam - John L. Esposito

No god but God: The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam - Reza Aslan

Toward an Islamic Reformation: Civil Liberties, Human Rights, and International Law - Abdullahi Ahmed An-Na'im

Islam and the Secular State: Negotiating the Future of Shari'a - Abdullahi Ahmed An-Na'im

Standing Alone in Mecca: An American Woman's Struggle for the Soul of Islam - Asra Nomani

The Muslim next door : the Qurʼan, the media, and that veil thing - Sumbul Ali-Karamali

Women and Gender in Islam: Historical Roots of a Modern Debate - Leila Ahmed

The Trouble With Islam Today: A Muslim's Call for Reform in Her Faith - Irshad Manji

I Speak for Myself: American Women on Being Muslim - Maria M. Ebrahimji

The Politics of the Veil - Joan Wallach Scott

Liberal Islam: A Sourcebook - Charles Kurzman

Halal Monk: A Christian on a Journey through Islam - Jonas Yunus Atlas

EDIT: You seem to be quite knowledgeable of Islam and tolerant, are you a convert yourself?
    I am merely interested in religion, but not religious myself.

ReputationRep:

Yeah was really good to be back ! Yes he was and I did take him to the garden ahaha.. but he was sad to notice that there are no apples left on the apple tree :/ He's only 2, i love little kids too ahaha. That's so cool, I treat kids in the clinic sometimes!

I'm sure you'll manage, you're really bright. I know how you must feel though, self teaching can be a bit overwhelming at times, but you shouldn't doubt yourself, you'll get those A grades!

Of course, It'll be interesting. So what initially interested you in oriental studies?

ReputationRep:

The 'prophet' was a pedophile though. Asking us to ignore this crucial fact is like asking us to ignore the fact that Hitler was a Nazi and let's just concentrate on what a nice mustache he had and how hot his wife was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    The 'prophet' was a pedophile though. Asking us to ignore this crucial fact is like asking us to ignore the fact that Hitler was a Nazi and let's just concentrate on what a nice mustache he had and how hot his wife was.
    Where you there at that specific time, how do you know that for sure. If what your saying is true then why do so many people around the world respect him.Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anno3742)
    Where you there at that specific time, how do you know that for sure. If what your saying is true then why do so many people around the world respect him.Exactly.
    How do you know that what the Quran says is true, were you there at that specific time and did Allah knock on your door last night and confirm all of it to you?

Why do so many people respect him? Well, Islam is a pedophile enabler religion, as evidenced by the fact that Muslims worship an imaginary pedophile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    How do you know that what the Quran says is true, were you there at that specific time and did Allah knock on your door last night and confirm all of it to you?

Why do so many people respect him? Well, Islam is a pedophile enabler religion, as evidenced by the fact that Muslims worship an imaginary pedophile.
    Let me say one thing. You're still a child to think that way. Your "immature views" aren't helping her in anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousForLife)
    Let me say one thing. You're still a child to think that way. Your "immature views" aren't helping her in anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're still a child to think that some fairy created the world and is watching you from above. That is an immature view. And I am not trying to 'help' her in any way.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a better religion for you... http://www.bahai.org.uk

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.