Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So at AS I studied maths, philosophy, english language & literature and economics.
    I achieved:

English Lang & Lit: B
    Economics: C
    Philosophy: E
    Maths: U

My college said they'll send the AS results as predicted grades and I'll be having a talk with my philosophy teacher about my grade but if he doesn't allow it to be a C I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Because I failed maths, my UCAS points are most likely going to be below 300.
    I'm planning on retaking one of the English exams to aim for an A. As I received an A for one exam but a C for the other.

I'm also considering on retaking one of the units for Economics. In unit 1 I received a D but in the other unit I got a B.

And I'm definitely planning to retake philosophy to drag it up to a C at least!!! At least!
    I want to aim higher but I don't feel like it'll happen.

So overall I'm aiming for ABC/ABB. But will unis keep that in mind (of my retakes) when I apply?

ReputationRep:
    Check the Uni's that you are applying for. Some course that are really competitive like Medicine and that kinda thing don't even allow retakes, others don't care that you retook some grades, and you might even be able to twist it into a positive : I realised I didn't put enough work in so I decided to give it my all' kinda line

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hai_Ann)
    So at AS I studied maths, philosophy, english language & literature and economics.
    I achieved:

My college said they'll send the AS results as predicted grades and I'll be having a talk with my philosophy teacher about my grade but if he doesn't allow it to be a C I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

I'm planning on retaking one of the English exams to aim for an A. As I received an A for one exam but a C for the other.

I'm also considering on retaking one of the units for Economics. In unit 1 I received a D but in the other unit I got a B.

And I'm definitely planning to retake philosophy to drag it up to a C at least!!! At least!

So overall I'm aiming for ABC/ABB. But will unis keep that in mind (of my retakes) when I apply?
    if a school shows ABB for predicted grades with AS grades of BCE the universities would be extremely dubious. You are right to retake and hopefully you can end up with better grades. However whether you will get offers from ABB unis is doubtful. Consider a range of grades and if necessary perhaps you can apply through adjustment with your better grades

ReputationRep:
    I achieved:

Those ranges of offers are too high for your predicted grades and universities will not be quick to believe that you will be capable of improving by four grades to get ABC, and incidentally, ABC is a highly unlikely offer combination to give out. ABB is much more common, requiring a rise of five grades on your part. I think you should retake as many as you can. There is no harm in applying this year as long as you recognise that you are unlikely to get offers, since it will make it easier to get straight into clearing if you have an application already. You may get lucky - who knows? - but a good plan would be to plan a gap year now, and apply with what you hope will be better known grades after you've maybe worked and earned some money before you start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by middymoo)
    Check the Uni's that you are applying for. Some course that are really competitive like Medicine and that kinda thing don't even allow retakes, others don't care that you retook some grades, and you might even be able to twist it into a positive : I realised I didn't put enough work in so I decided to give it my all' kinda line
    Yeah I'm not going into medicine. I'm looking for english courses which has easier grade requirements.

But damn.. should've worked harder.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm not going into medicine. I'm looking for english courses which has easier grade requirements.

But damn.. should've worked harder.
    English is a massively oversubscribed subject. It will not necessarily be easier to get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    if a school shows ABB for predicted grades with AS grades of BCE the universities would be extremely dubious. You are right to retake and hopefully you can end up with better grades. However whether you will get offers from ABB unis is doubtful. Consider a range of grades and if necessary perhaps you can apply through adjustment with your better grades
    Oh for my final grades I'm aiming for ABB but I want my predicted grades to be BCC/BBC.

I'm aiming for unis like University of Westminster. I'm not looking for top unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    English is a massively oversubscribed subject. It will not necessarily be easier to get in.
    Yeah I know. I haven't finalised my choices. I'm probably going to apply for jointed courses such as English & Economics. I'm looking for journalism courses as well but I know that it's competitive. So as of now I'm unsure of what to pick as my choices.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know. I haven't finalised my choices. I'm probably going to apply for jointed courses such as English & Economics. I'm looking for journalism courses as well but I know that it's competitive. So as of now I'm unsure of what to pick as my choices.
    Well, don't rush, and don't think you have to take anywhere you can get into just to go this year.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.