Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Work based training - where to put on UCAS? Urgent. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    //

(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Hi, I've almost finalized my Personal Statement but I'm 4 lines over the limit. If I can take out some waffle about relevant training courses this will cut it down to what it needs to be. However, I don't know how/where else to put this info. I'm applying for a life science course and I want to mention that I've just qualified in emergency first aid and manual handling (patients). BUT, it wasn't via a college, it was through a provider through my employer and I don't get grades from them.

Do I leave it in the PS or is this info for the education section, if so - how to do you put it in?

Thanks!!
    You could ask your referee (in this case your employer) to mention it. That's what I did with some of my volunteer work that I just couldn't fit in. Turns out I could have fitted it in if I hadn't wasted five lines on putting in paragraphs. :/

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've almost finalized my Personal Statement but I'm 4 lines over the limit. If I can take out some waffle about relevant training courses this will cut it down to what it needs to be. However, I don't know how/where else to put this info. I'm applying for a life science course and I want to mention that I've just qualified in emergency first aid and manual handling (patients). BUT, it wasn't via a college, it was through a provider through my employer and I don't get grades from them.

Do I leave it in the PS or is this info for the education section, if so - how to do you put it in?

Thanks!!
    These courses won't be especially relevant for a life science course as such - but would be if you are applying for a vocational/healthcare course. There will be other things you can edit out of your PS if the latter applies. They could go in the education section only if they are national qualifications with certificates provided, which from what you say is not the case.

(Original post by Hydeman)
    You could ask your referee (in this case your employer) to mention it. That's what I did with some of my volunteer work that I just couldn't fit in. Turns out I could have fitted it in if I hadn't wasted five lines on putting in paragraphs. :/

Good luck.
    Five lines sounds like a lot, but you would have needed at least three

(Original post by Minerva)
    Five lines sounds like a lot, but you would have needed at least three
    Yeah, it's pretty depressing. Especially after I found out from somebody that Bristol, the most personal statement-heavy university when it comes to medicine, has a filter that removes all lines. And there's more stuff I could have mentioned, which is frustrating. Oh well, it's done now. We'll have to see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Yeah, it's pretty depressing. Especially after I found out from somebody that Bristol, the most personal statement-heavy university when it comes to medicine, has a filter that removes all lines. And there's more stuff I could have mentioned, which is frustrating. Oh well, it's done now. We'll have to see what happens.
    I really wouldn't worry - nobody's application rises or falls entirely on the basis of the PS.

I'm not using my employer as my reference, I'm getting a reference from a tutor from my previous degree. I haven't seen them for 3 years but they're best placed to comment on my academic abilities. I've only worked at my current job for 3 months and they don't know me at all or that I plan on leaving for uni.
    Oh, in that case ask your tutor to include it.

ReputationRep:
    No idea why I wrote 'life science', probably since I'm currently studying an OU life science course. The degree I'm applying for is a healthcare/NHS course.
    In that case ideally you need to turf something else out of your PS to accommodate the information about your in-service training. It can be done

I'm not using my employer as my reference, I'm getting a reference from a tutor from my previous degree. I haven't seen them for 3 years but they're best placed to comment on my academic abilities. I've only worked at my current job for 3 months and they don't know me at all or that I plan on leaving for uni.
    That's good thinking - the unis will be most interested in your academic achievements and three years should be OK.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I gave myself a break from it for 20 minutes and went back to it. I've included it without saying ''I have done X training at with Y company and learnt A,B,C'' and instead worked it into scenarios I've dealt with which I used my training cope with. More subtle I guess, but flows better than listing what I've trained in.
    That sounds perfect. Well done

As for my reference, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they actually agree to provide one and hopefully they don't mind the fact that I asked them for an MA reference 2 years ago and then decided on this career move instead.
    I'm sure they won't. People's plans change for all sorts of reasons. If all else fails, you could ask your OU tutor.

ReputationRep:
    So I'm trying to apply for a Medical Pharmacology Degree at uni but after MONTHS of looking for work experience nowhere will accept me bc I'm under 18! I was wondering if me being a full-time carer for my severely disabled younger brother would help my application instead of the work experience???? Should I mention it or would they not care??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieAS)
    So I'm trying to apply for a Medical Pharmacology Degree at uni but after MONTHS of looking for work experience nowhere will accept me bc I'm under 18! I was wondering if me being a full-time carer for my severely disabled younger brother would help my application instead of the work experience???? Should I mention it or would they not care??
    Ask your referee to mention it in your reference. Do the unis you are applying to ask for work experience for the medical pharmacology course? it would be unusual for this to be 'make or break'.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks I hope it will not be bc IM predicted over the min grades?? Hoping that will help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Ask your referee to mention it in your reference. Do the unis you are applying to ask for work experience for the medical pharmacology course? it would be unusual for this to be 'make or break'.
    Yeah ok thanks I was able to fit in my PS that I was awaiting confirmation. Im hoping that it wont be make or break anyway

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.