Turn on thread page Beta

How do people fund their studies abroad? Just rich parents? watch

I was wondering how students find funding to study abroad, since the UK gov doesn't offer student loan unless they are studying at a UK uni. Courses in European unis can range from circa 3000 EUR to 30,000 EUR a year, so I was wondering what ways students can use to fund the costs. Do a lot of students just have very rich parents?

ReputationRep:
    Work for a few years before uni.

I did that and although I didnt use the money for overseas travelling, it helped to have some spare cash, I now have lots of references and it taught me a lot of skills which helped with uni. It was also good to have lots of money in my main years of partying and not have to worry about overdrafts and running out of loan if I wanted to go drinking.

Also a bonus that I can concentrate on uni completely and dont have to stress as much about getting job/volunteering experiences down because I already have a tonne of them.

(Original post by mametzwood)
    I was wondering how students find funding to study abroad, since the UK gov doesn't offer student loan unless they are studying at a UK uni. Courses in European unis can range from circa 3000 EUR to 30,000 EUR a year, so I was wondering what ways students can use to fund the costs. Do a lot of students just have very rich parents?
    Scholarships and financial aid frequently come into it. I don't know about European universities but a lot of the American universities, with their scarily high tuition fees, often give generous financial aid. Don't get me wrong; they'll make you pay what they deem you can afford. But they won't exactly expect you to foot the bill yourself if you're not rich. Different universities in America have different attitudes to this though -- some have needs-based aid, others have needs-blind aid.

To learn more about funding studies in America, have a look at the Fulbright Commission's website.

(I realise how much that sounded like an advertisement :rofl:)

ReputationRep:
    As an international student who is applying to UK universities, I'd have to say that most of my friends and I are being funded by our parents who are of strong financial background.
    In Indonesia, the government does not have scholarship schemes for undergraduate studies. Hence, those who apply for undergraduate studies abroad would have to have a private support.
    Only some can study abroad because of the high costs. (Considering the medicine is £30,000 per year excluding daily expenses).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 18, 2015
Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.