Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I finished my 3rd year at uni but had an extension on some work, I rang Student Finance England and requested a student loan for the next academic year as I thought I would still be attending lectures/supervision etc... (I received a letter confirming this). However, I finished my work in August and received my final results and no longer needed to attend for an extra year and as a result no longer need the student loan.

So I called Student Finance England and notified them of the change (in August) and requested to cancel the loans (which I had not received yet). They confirmed this and sent me a letter saying I wouldn't receive any more money for the next year, they also sent me a review of all my past loans over the 3 year course. Recently I discovered a payment from SFE into my bank account which is the same amount as my past student loans, I wasn't expecting this as I assumed it was cancelled as stated on the letter & phone.

I recently received my works pay check and have been paying bills accordingly, I didn't notice they had paid me for about a week, so I'm unsure if I spent any of the loan. I'm hesitant to contact SFE as I'm afraid they will take the loan back which would leave me in a difficult financial situation now.

Any advice including legal would be appreciated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tunasalad123)
    I finished my 3rd year at uni but had an extension on some work, I rang Student Finance England and requested a student loan for the next academic year as I thought I would still be attending lectures/supervision etc... (I received a letter confirming this). However, I finished my work in August and received my final results and no longer needed to attend for an extra year and as a result no longer need the student loan.

So I called Student Finance England and notified them of the change (in August) and requested to cancel the loans (which I had not received yet). They confirmed this and sent me a letter saying I wouldn't receive any more money for the next year, they also sent me a review of all my past loans over the 3 year course. Recently I discovered a payment from SFE into my bank account which is the same amount as my past student loans, I wasn't expecting this as I assumed it was cancelled as stated on the letter & phone.

I recently received my works pay check and have been paying bills accordingly, I didn't notice they had paid me for about a week, so I'm unsure if I spent any of the loan. I'm hesitant to contact SFE as I'm afraid they will take the loan back which would leave me in a difficult financial situation now.

Any advice including legal would be appreciated. Thanks.
    You need to make sure that you have set aside the sum they paid you, ready to pay it back straight away once they ask for it. You must tell them you have received this payment in error; not to do so would amount to fraud.

Presumably you had budgeted for managing on your earnings, so I'm not quite sure why you would have a difficult financial situation on your hands if you had to pay it back straight away. The money is not yours to keep, and therefore you must contact SFE immediately and ask for advice as to what to do.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.