Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tesco took my fake id watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Have had abit of a shambles, went to tesco the other night with some friends with intention of getting some beers, I put them on the till get id'd not a problem I have my fake, turns out the woman behind the till is a police officer who works nights!. She spots it's a fake and confiscates it. My question is what happens if te police catch you with a fake id

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcau3)
    Have had abit of a shambles, went to tesco the other night with some friends with intention of getting some beers, I put them on the till get id'd not a problem I have my fake, turns out the woman behind the till is a police officer who works nights!. She spots it's a fake and confiscates it. My question is what happens if te police catch you with a fake id
    They're well within their rights to confiscate it. It's so you don't use that ID again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if you had bought the beer they could have confiscated it.... but they stopped you in time
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think getting ID'd and then saying "not a problem I have my fake" is where you went wrong, Squire.

ReputationRep:
    why would you go Tesco? Just grow some facial hair and go to a local shop and get served there without id.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annarchy.)
    They're well within their rights to confiscate it. It's so you don't use that ID again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No they're not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcau3)
    Firstly; they had no right to confiscate it.

Secondly; if the police catch you trying to use one they could prosecute you.

ReputationRep:
    Wait is it only me.. that caught on to the fact that a Tesco cashier is a Police Officer.

When did Police officers become cashiers at your local Tesco?:lolwut:

I thought Police officers weren't allowed to moon light?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Firstly; they had no right to confiscate it.

Secondly; if the police catch you trying to use one they could prosecute you.
    They are allowed to confiscate it if they suspect it is a fake id. The process is that it should be then handed to the police station, where if it's not fake you can go and pick it up. And well if it is fake, I don't imagine you want to be picking it up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    No they're not.
    You got proof for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzsnazzter)
    They are allowed to confiscate it if they suspect it is a fake id. The process is that it should be then handed to the police station, where if it's not fake you can go and pick it up. And well if it is fake, I don't imagine you want to be picking it up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unless they're making an arrest they have no rights to confiscate items. It's the same for bouncers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annarchy.)
    You got proof for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Proof that a private citizen is not able to confiscate items from another private citizen? The onus surely ought to be on you to prove they are able to do this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Unless they're making an arrest they have no rights to confiscate items. It's the same for bouncers.
    What's he supposed to do? Go to the police and say Tesco illegally confiscated his fake ID whilst he was trying to purchase alcohol underage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speckle)
    What's he supposed to do? Go to the police and say Tesco illegally confiscated his fake ID whilst he was trying to purchase alcohol underage.
    That doesn't make it legal for Tesco to have taken it..

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for everyone responding to my post, but what Im trying to find out is what usually happens when you get caught with an altered Id, ie do they prosecute you, or just ring you up etc ?. It didn't help that the cashier was a cop

ReputationRep:
    A police officer tesco cashier, lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Proof that a private citizen is not able to confiscate items from another private citizen? The onus surely ought to be on you to prove they are able to do this
    Oooh yeah I misread the thread. I thought they were on about someone in the queue as I read it quick. Yeah as a cashier I can deffo say they can't take your ID. She wasn't on duty after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.