Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Twice i was sort of rejected to do further maths.
    When i went to the school and were choosing subjects, the only further maths teacher there was discouraging me in the sense that he said if i did not get at least a B for it, it would ruin my A-level grades overall. At that time, i wanted to do engineering so it was not so necessary for me to do further maths.

Now, it's been almost a year, and i went to ask the same teacher again as to whether i could take further maths, he again denied me even though i said i wanted to do maths in university. He said that it would not be necessary for me even if i wanted to do maths in university.

Even if i really really wanted to, i could do it the following year but i would have to repeat lower 6 if there even is a further maths course running for that batch.

I would like to try to study further maths by myself. I would go to my teachers for help. If i find that i cannot cope, then i would not sit for the exam but if i could, why not give it a try right?

Any help, advice and tips on this would be so much appreciated.
    I would also need help on finding notes as i do not think the teacher that teaches further maths would want to give me his notes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyamlim97)
    Twice i was sort of rejected to do further maths.
    When i went to the school and were choosing subjects, the only further maths teacher there was discouraging me in the sense that he said if i did not get at least a B for it, it would ruin my A-level grades overall. At that time, i wanted to do engineering so it was not so necessary for me to do further maths.

Now, it's been almost a year, and i went to ask the same teacher again as to whether i could take further maths, he again denied me even though i said i wanted to do maths in university. He said that it would not be necessary for me even if i wanted to do maths in university.

Even if i really really wanted to, i could do it the following year but i would have to repeat lower 6 if there even is a further maths course running for that batch.

I would like to try to study further maths by myself. I would go to my teachers for help. If i find that i cannot cope, then i would not sit for the exam but if i could, why not give it a try right?

Any help, advice and tips on this would be so much appreciated.
    I would also need help on finding notes as i do not think the teacher that teaches further maths would want to give me his notes.
    If you are in Y13 at he moment I will advice you NOT to attempt it.
    Finish your current A levels and after June if you still feel you want to do FM (and you are capable to stretch yourself further), invest another year to self teach Further maths pressure free.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    If you are in Y13 at he moment I will advice you NOT to attempt it.
    Finish your current A levels and after June if you still feel you want to do FM (and you are capable to stretch yourself further), invest another year to self teach Further maths pressure free.

Good luck.
    In my country, we do our AS n A-levels during the oct/nov session.
    So after my current AS, ill still have a year or so to prepare.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 18, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.