Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Say an object of mass 50kg is being suspended by two strings. The angle that a string meets the horizontal is 45°, then what could u say about the tension in the strings? And also, what is the tension in each string?
    Name:  sketch-1445099137534.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  55.6 KB thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FusionNetworks)
    Say an object of mass 50kg is being suspended by two strings. The angle that a string meets the horizontal is 45°, then what could u say about the tension in the strings? And also, what is the tension in each string?
    The tension in each string is the same. The tension in both strings is the same as 50g=490N. Therefore the tension in each string is 245N.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    The point of a question like this is for you to use your own brain cells and explore what may be happening to arrive at some answers.

To get you thinking:

1) What would the tension in each of the two strings be with only one string supporting the mass and the other simply dangled? What is the angle to the horizontal made by the supporting string?

2) What about if the strings were swapped?

3) What about if both strings supported the mass and the angle between them is 90 degrees? i.e. each string was 45 degrees to the horizontal?

4) Can you spot a relationship with these answers and the sine or cosine of the angles as a result? i.e. sine 0 degrees, sine 45 degrees (half the angle between the strings) etc?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the support, I did exactly what genius10 said to do! My teacher gave me all the answers to self mark it, but his answer is something different; he has obvously given me the wrong answer! Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by genius10)
    The tension in each string is the same. The tension in both strings is the same as 50g=490N. Therefore the tension in each string is 245N.

Thanks for all the support, I did exactly what genius10 said to do! My teacher gave me all the answers to self mark it, but his answer is something different; he has obvously given me the wrong answer! Thanks again!
    That is wrong. The angle of 45 degrees has not been taken in to account. Your teacher is probably correct

ReputationRep:
    Oops I've been a mug. The vertical component of tension in 245N. Yeah just use trig to find the tension. Sorry OP.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 17, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.