Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is the difference between Computing and Computer Science? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all this is my first post on these forums.

So I have recently been looking into GCSE choices and I know that I want to do Computing. In my school (I'm from Northern Ireland) the examining board CCEA doesn't offer Computing only ICT. From the research I have done ICT will not be useful when it comes to programming and Computing contains elements from ICT. So my school is using the OCR Computing course but when I look it up it appears as Computing/Computer Science http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications...cse/computing/ So what I'm wondering is are they the same subject and is the name simply changing or will there be a choice between the two of them as Computing seems more to do with actual programming and Computer Science to be more theoretical.

I know that many people who have previously done GCSEs will not have any information and others may be just as lost as I am but any help will be useful

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm doing the OCR Computing/Computer Science course and they're both the same, just different names. Also, the course includes programming and theory. You will have to do a code on a specified task OCR gives you as coursework and for the exams, it will be theory on topics such as hardware, software, networks etc.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by RyzoRGS)
    Hi all this is my first post on these forums.

So I have recently been looking into GCSE choices and I know that I want to do Computing. In my school (I'm from Northern Ireland) the examining board CCEA doesn't offer Computing only ICT. From the research I have done ICT will not be useful when it comes to programming and Computing contains elements from ICT. So my school is using the OCR Computing course but when I look it up it appears as Computing/Computer Science http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications...cse/computing/ So what I'm wondering is are they the same subject and is the name simply changing or will there be a choice between the two of them as Computing seems more to do with actual programming and Computer Science to be more theoretical.

I know that many people who have previously done GCSEs will not have any information and others may be just as lost as I am but any help will be useful
    With the GCSE reform coming in there's more of a push towards computer science. In general terms, computing tends to cover all three major bases surrounding computers - ICT, computer science and digital literacy, whereas they are tending to drop the other bits for the newer GCSEs. So at the school I teach in we call our KS3 lessons 'computing' but KS4 and KS5 are now computer science.

However, it also seems that for some qualifications computing was used in place of the words computer science. I currently teach A Level Computing (the spec that's just finishing up) and AS Level Computer Science (the spec that's just starting) and the vast majority of the content is the same.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    They're not massively different - one might have a couple of extra bits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    With the GCSE reform coming in there's more of a push towards computer science. In general terms, computing tends to cover all three major bases surrounding computers - ICT, computer science and digital literacy, whereas they are tending to drop the other bits for the newer GCSEs. So at the school I teach in we call our KS3 lessons 'computing' but KS4 and KS5 are now computer science.

However, it also seems that for some qualifications computing was used in place of the words computer science. I currently teach A Level Computing (the spec that's just finishing up) and AS Level Computer Science (the spec that's just starting) and the vast majority of the content is the same.
    Thanks for clearing that up. When I learned it in KS3 it was just called IT but included elements of Computing and ICT. So I am assuming they basically are the same with Computer Science edging more towards theory and the mathematical side

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 18, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.