The Student Room Group

Dropping out and reapplying with the same grades

Currently I'm studying mechanical engineering at Southampton, but thinking strongly out dropping out, taking a gap year and reapplying for Mech. Eng. for 2016 entry at a different uni. My reason for this is I feel Southampton is not for me, as a city, and the idea of staying here for four years depresses me.

I achieved A*A*A in maths, further maths and physics and would potentially reapply to Bath (where I had an offer for last year but declined it in favour of Southampton, which I regret), potentially Bristol and Edinburgh (places I can see myself living).

My question is would dropping out and reapplying for first year entry put me in a weaker position than people applying straight out of year 13?
Also I was rejected by Bristol last year, but would it be worth applying again now that I actually have my grades?
Can't you just transfer...?
if you achieved more than predicted you could apply to Bristol, if not I wouldnt bother. Speak to the universities you like, one might accept a transfer.
Reply 3
Original post by hww
Currently I'm studying mechanical engineering at Southampton, but thinking strongly out dropping out, taking a gap year and reapplying for Mech. Eng. for 2016 entry at a different uni. My reason for this is I feel Southampton is not for me, as a city, and the idea of staying here for four years depresses me.

I achieved A*A*A in maths, further maths and physics and would potentially reapply to Bath (where I had an offer for last year but declined it in favour of Southampton, which I regret), potentially Bristol and Edinburgh (places I can see myself living).

My question is would dropping out and reapplying for first year entry put me in a weaker position than people applying straight out of year 13?
Also I was rejected by Bristol last year, but would it be worth applying again now that I actually have my grades?

Try get a first or a high 2.1 this year and transfer to another institution.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending