Turn on thread page Beta

Self teaching further maths? Is it possible? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently woundering if it is realistic to teach myself the whole of the further maths A-level in just under 2 years, on top of my 4 subjects - Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Geography. Lately I've been thinking about my future education at uni and what degree i want to acheve, and I've been leaning towards maths and physics.

I started off learning further maths, however I disliked the decision moduels and dropped out after the first week. I now regret dropping it so soon, however it is now too late to change. Although, I do love my other 4 subjects selected and it would be a shame to drop one, I would say I love maths more then the rest and I find it very interesting.

I'm just woundering if anyone else has self taught themself further maths and how did you find it? And is 5 subjects at A2 too much? Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Andrew Dainty)
    I'm currently woundering if it is realistic to teach myself the whole of the further maths A-level in just under 2 years, on top of my 4 subjects - Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Geography. Lately I've been thinking about my future education at uni and what degree i want to acheve, and I've been leaning towards maths and physics.

I started off learning further maths, however I disliked the decision moduels and dropped out after the first week. I now regret dropping it so soon, however it is now too late to change. Although, I do love my other 4 subjects selected and it would be a shame to drop one, I would say I love maths more then the rest and I find it very interesting.

I'm just woundering if anyone else has self taught themself further maths and how did you find it? And is 5 subjects at A2 too much? Thanks!
    I taught myself Further Maths in a slightly different situation - I covered AS and A2 in Year 13 alongside A2 Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

It is quite a workload and requires a lot of time, commitment and motivation, especially when you think about how many past papers you have to do for each subject. But if you enjoy it, then it doesn't feel like as much as it should, it's just 'more maths'.

Module choices are important and you should pick the ones that interest you the most - if you can't stand them then it'll be really difficult. This is why I (with Edexcel) went for D1, S1-4 and M1 as my applied modules, because I love stats and don't really enjoy mechanics. Seeing as you're leaning towards Physics I suppose Mechanics would be the sensible choice for you, but in my opinion that's probably the most difficult of the three applied branches of A-level Maths to teach yourself.

If you're going to study Maths as a single or joint honours degree, or anything related to Maths, it's probably worth studying Maths and can be quite fun at times.

Also think about whether you really need 5 things going on at A2 - it may be worth dropping either Chemistry or Geography. Even 4 A2s are a bit excessive most of the time.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    It's possible, but will be very difficult. You need to be honest with yourself over whether you think you can cope - A2 further maths in particular is very difficult.

If you decide to go ahead (and I'm a massive advocate of further maths for anyone going into science) then I would advise speaking with your maths teacher. Explain what you intend to do, and ask if they're ok with you asking any questions you have - they will likely say yes, but if not ask if there's someone else in the department who could (I teach maths and physics, and pretty much my entire department would be willing to help within reason). If you have any free periods when further maths lessons are on, it's also worth asking if you can attend (once again, it's unlikely good teachers will object). If that isn't possible, borrow a friend's book and photocopy their notes (ensure to buy the same textbook so you can work through the problems). If you're diligent and follow the above, there's no reason you can't do well.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.