Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    10.0g of calcium nitrate is heated to 100kPa and a temperature of 300 c and it fully decomposes as shown in the equation below.

2Ca(NO3)2 → 2CaO + 4NO2 + O2

calculate
    a) the volume of nitrogen dioxide evolved
    b) the volume of oxygen evolved
    c) the total volume of gas evolved

ReputationRep:
    Use the formula: PV = nRT

Where:

P = Pressure (Pa)
    V = Volume (m^3)
    n = number of moles
    R = Gas constant = 8.31 kJ/Mol
    T = Temperature in Kelvin. To convert degrees Celsius to kelvin (K) add 273 to whatever the degrees c is.

Also, you've been given the mass of calcium nitrate, this is your reactant, you can use this mass to work out the moles of calcium nitrate (using the formula: moles = mass/Mr). From the moles of calcium nitratre you can use the ratios of moles given from the equation to work out the moles of nitrogen dioxide and oxygen. Then, you simply just sub in your values into PV = nRT (after rearranging for V) and get an answer.

If you need any more guidance, don't hesitate to ask!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kozmo)
    Use the formula: PV = nRT

Where:

P = Pressure (Pa)
    V = Volume (m^3)
    n = number of moles
    R = Gas constant = 8.31 kJ/Mol
    T = Temperature in Kelvin. To convert degrees Celsius to kelvin (K) add 273 to whatever the degrees c is.

Also, you've been given the mass of calcium nitrate, this is your reactant, you can use this mass to work out the moles of calcium nitrate (using the formula: moles = mass/Mr). From the moles of calcium nitratre you can use the ratios of moles given from the equation to work out the moles of nitrogen dioxide and oxygen. Then, you simply just sub in your values into PV = nRT (after rearranging for V) and get an answer.

If you need any more guidance, don't hesitate to ask!

you know in the bold bit, how do i do that? it sounds proper silly but I'm confused. do i times by 4 because its 4NO2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomlfc)
    you know in the bold bit, how do i do that? it sounds proper silly but I'm confused. do i times by 4 because its 4NO2?
    No, it's not silly, it's really easy to be confused! Well, we know the moles of the calcium nitrate and we know in the equation it has the molar number of '2', this is the large 2 in front of the calcium nitrate molecule. We compare this number to any other molecule (compound) in the products in question.

For example, nitrogen dioxide is 4NO2, as a result the ratio is 2:4, which is just 1:2. Because of this we multiply the moles of the calcium nitrate by two (due to the ratio) to get the moles of the nitrogen dioxide. We can then sub this, along with the other values, into our rearranged formula and get the volume!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kozmo)
    No, it's not silly, it's really easy to be confused! Well, we know the moles of the calcium nitrate and we know in the equation it has the molar number of '2', this is the large 2 in front of the calcium nitrate molecule. We compare this number to any other molecule (compound) in the products in question.

For example, nitrogen dioxide is 4NO2, as a result the ratio is 2:4, which is just 1:2. Because of this we multiply the moles of the calcium nitrate by two (due to the ratio) to get the moles of the nitrogen dioxide. We can then sub this, along with the other values, into our rearranged formula and get the volume!
    im not sure I've done this right, i got 175 for NO2 and 350 for O2 as their volumes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomlfc)
    im not sure I've done this right, i got 175 for NO2 and 350 for O2 as their volumes
    I don't think this is correct. When you rearrange the formula for V you should get:

V = nRT/P

The moles of Calcium Nitrate = 10/164.1 = 100/1641 mol - I'm going to leave it as a fraction for accuracy.

We know Calcium nitrate : nitrogen dioxide is 1:2, so we multiply this by two to get the moles of nitrogen dioxide = 200/1641.

Similarly, we know the ratio of calcium nitrate to oxygen = 2:1, so we divide it by two to get the moles of oxygen. = 50/1641.

We simply substitute these values into the formula to get the volume.
    Have a go at this.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.