Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why are British buildings so bleak and oppressive? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why does Britain look all dingy, grey and depressing? I don't mean the weather, I mean the buildings. They look so dull, cheap and just... UGH. If you look at American houses, or houses of any European/North American country, you will see that they are more vibrant and uplifting.

In Britain, everywhere you go there are concrete jungles, bricks, sandstone and dark and depressing materials. No wonder everyone in the UK is depressed. The buildings just suck. They are so small, look terrible, yet are so expensive. Gothic architecture of cities is just grim and oppressive. There is no style at all.

Google 'terraced houses'. They look so impoverished and structurally weak. I would be embarrassed to say a terraced house is my house. Yet these houses are so expensive it's unbelievable.

Even the buildings in the countryside look cheap, dirty and 'weak'. The stone buildings look like they need bulldozing down and proper houses built instead. Instead of the little rows of 'sheds' you call terraced houses. I wouldn't even put my dog in one of those things.

Ugly hobbits need small and ugly houses I suppose.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    It's true, houses in places like Germany and the Netherlands are more beautiful, interesting and generally look more homely than a bleak street of terraces, with a few chipped roof tiles

ReputationRep:
    France, Italy, Spain, even some parts of Germany - heads and shoulders above British buildings. There are a few nice areas: Central central central London, some of Oxford/Cambridge and Bath/Bristol. Otherwise its all trash.

ReputationRep:
    Have you just been roaming round council estates?

Loads of English suburbs and villages are stunningly beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's because that's just how houses have always been built (obviously not in 100BC I mean 20th century), I've travelled a bit and I think that Britain is the least innovative country in the western world, it's too traditionalist (which is fine, but as you say it looks glum so why keep it or at least improve it?)

I've seen beautiful/interestingly structured houses in rich areas of England but I am yet to see one under the £1M mark so it's too unaffordable for most

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because one of many reasons is, being British is depressing, the buildings make it worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John R)
    Why does Britain look all dingy, grey and depressing? I don't mean the weather, I mean the buildings. They look so dull, cheap and just... UGH. If you look at American houses, or houses of any European/North American country, you will see that they are more vibrant and uplifting.

In Britain, everywhere you go there are concrete jungles, bricks, sandstone and dark and depressing materials. No wonder everyone in the UK is depressed. The buildings just suck. They are so small, look terrible, yet are so expensive. Gothic architecture of cities is just grim and oppressive. There is no style at all.

Google 'terraced houses'. They look so impoverished and structurally weak. I would be embarrassed to say a terraced house is my house. Yet these houses are so expensive it's unbelievable.

Even the buildings in the countryside look cheap, dirty and 'weak'. The stone buildings look like they need bulldozing down and proper houses built instead. Instead of the little rows of 'sheds' you call terraced houses. I wouldn't even put my dog in one of those things.

Ugly hobbits need small and ugly houses I suppose.
    Thank you very much for saying this, Living in British houses feels really depressing.

ReputationRep:
    Main problem is how small yet expensive they are...

Name:  floorspace.gif
Views: 164
Size:  57.6 KB

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...udy-finds.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousForLife)
    Because one of many reasons is, being British is depressing, the buildings make it worse.
    Speak for yourself, I'm proud to be British.

ReputationRep:
    represents the weather...

jk, there are loads of lovely houses where I live, with lots of character and look nice

ReputationRep:
    because people in Britain don't really care what other people think which is great

ReputationRep:
    Well can agree on the brutalist stuff...Grew up in Barnsley and went to uni in Sheffield and the number of times I've been places and thought ''this'd make a great backdrop to some dystopian film''

Nineteen Eighty-Four eat yer heart out?

Love Victorian Gothic though...

As for American houses they obviously never heard the story of the Three little pigs

ReputationRep:
    Because the whole of Britain looks exactly the same?

ReputationRep:
    I'm almost certain you meant this as a joke. If not, I'm sorry that you haven't been able to appreciate the stunning architecture Britain has to offer.

ReputationRep:
    British architecture >>>> American architecture

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.