Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If I gave you £1m right now, what would you do with it? watch

ReputationRep:
    ^as the title states.

ReputationRep:
    Give about 50% to my parents and put the other 50% in a bank.

ReputationRep:
    Go shopping

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illiberal Liberal)
    Give about 50% to my parents and put the other 50% in a bank.
    aw thats so nice and sensible
    my brother always says he'll give 25% to charity, 50% between the family, and keep the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chantalc)
    my brother always says he'll give 25% to charity, 50% between the family, and keep the rest.
    And what would you do with it?

ReputationRep:
    Convert them into notes and then roll around in it :rofl3:

ReputationRep:
    Pay off both sister's student loands and then quit my job. I can o on a course or something and find a new job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illiberal Liberal)
    And what would you do with it?
    Pay for my mom to go travelling and to see the northern lights and to watch whales (or just buy her a house somewhere North), buy my Dad some more cars to add to his collection, seeing as thats all that will make him happy- make sure all their mortgages etc. is sold off. Give £100,000 to my siblings (not allowed it till they're 18 obv).

Go shopping but have some left to save so I can spend it on a house or something and have enough to go travelling&uni

ReputationRep:
    Go on a long... very long holiday

ReputationRep:
    bank 75%

buy all dem tings with 25 %

live normal life with 750,000 at age 15

age 20 become millionare again

age 25 multimillionare

age 30 married making billions

age 45 richest in the world

age 148 dead

ReputationRep:
    Convert to notes and put it all down a drain

ReputationRep:
    Probably nothing major right away... I guess I might go shopping but I don't like spending money anyway.

I'd give some to my parents and sister and give some away to charities/people that just need a little help. The rest would probably just sit in the bank earning interest until I have something I actually need to buy.

ReputationRep:
    Take £100k and give the rest to charity.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Buy my mum a property in Japan to retire to and my dad a house in London to manage. Both their dreams.

ReputationRep:
    get tripple monitor setup. Help out my friends n fam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chantalc)
    So he would have £250,000 then? That isn't a lot of money. A million isn't that much money anymore. Even where I live you could hard buy 20 acres and build a house for that. A better number would now be 2-5 million depending on where in the nation you are.

I would get the money. Go see my financial adviser, get it up in a trust so it is protected, then I would invest it on the stock market. I would do that with £600,000 of it. With the rest I would pay off the mortgages on my Dad's houses. That would be 110,000. Then my dad would sell two of the house for about 150,000-165,000. So make 30,000-40,000 off the houses. Which he would then give to my brother so he could buy a house with that money and his savings.

So that would leave me the 290,000 left. I would top up my current account and ISA that would be a few thousand. Then my other bank account with another 8,000. So that leaves 279,000. To best honest I don't have any use for this money. I don't want a house, a car, a business, land. I don't gamble or have any expensive interests. So I guess I would give £50,000 to UKIP, £50,000 to the Traditional Britain Group, £50,000 to the Orange Order, £50,000 to the Rebel.Media and £50,000 to Bill Whittle.com. 29,000 left. I would put it in another bank account.

ReputationRep:
    Move out of my parents' place and rent a huge apartment downtown.

Become Gatsby and throw parties every weekend in the hopes that Marian shows up one day and will be so amazed she'll decide to marry me on the spot.

ReputationRep:
    i would keep it in my bank account and spend about 20K of it every year. i wouldnt make any big purchases, i would just use it for living a comfy life for decades to come and i wouldnt work a day in my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    Take £100k and give the rest to charity.
    lol no u wouldnt.

ReputationRep:
    I would probably give my sister 200k, my parents 200k and then I would keep the remaining 600k. Would probably use the money on buying myself a house (400k ish) and save the rest

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.