Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do fees get paid for you if you take maths? watch

ReputationRep:
    This is going sound very vague as i dont know much about universities and stuff. But i heard from a friend if you take maths at university you get your fees paid by the government. Is this true and what is the reason for this? Am just really intrigued as i love maths and would consider taking it at uni (btw sorry about the wording about this thread, not sure which sort of vocab to use)

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of anyone getting their fees paid if they take maths. I think your friend must mean maths teaching. If you do a PGCE in a shortage subject the government will give you about £6000.

ReputationRep:
    You have to pay just like anybody else, its about £1100, if you're studying maths at cambridge or stamp collecting at Riverdale HE college (fictional) its still the same price.

However you can get it free on the following circumstances:

1) you get some kind of scolarship
    2) Your parents don't earn enough to pay fees
    3) Your parents most likely will just have to partialy fees if they earn above about £21,000 and below about £30,000.

ReputationRep:
    actually i did hear this- under the proposed top-up fees subjects that are in very low demand such as maths will have reductions in fees. don't know how it wokrs or anything tho, but i've heard it from several people. pencil queen is probably the most likely to know.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    mmmm, yeah my friend also said it was because there wasn't enough people taking maths so they tried to encourage it by having the fees paid for you. Hopefully someone will know though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shellebell)
    mmmm, yeah my friend also said it was because there wasn't enough people taking maths so they tried to encourage it by having the fees paid for you. Hopefully someone will know though.
    Currently, you have to pay fees, unless you are eligible for fee remission, which would apply for any course. I am not sure about the top-up fees, but I don't think it will be free even then.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. i'm going to university in September to do my BA hons in Counselling studies and community justice. I just wanted to ask about the way the fees work. Its just that as i am going into the health and social care arena i was wondering whether fees are paid for me. Its just that they are for social work and nursing courses its just that i'm not sure about this course.

:rolleyes: What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    Hi. i'm going to university in September to do my BA hons in Counselling studies and community justice. I just wanted to ask about the way the fees work. Its just that as i am going into the health and social care arena i was wondering whether fees are paid for me. Its just that they are for social work and nursing courses its just that i'm not sure about this course.

:rolleyes: What do you think?
    Contact your LEA student finance department and ask. I'm not sure; but if your fees are covered they will tell you.

ReputationRep:
    I heard this rumour about no fees applied to maths too, maybe its a conspiracy to trick people into taking maths without costing the gov.

ReputationRep:
    Well under the new top up fees unis can charge more fees but they can also charge less, so it's quite possible a uni with a good reputation for maths but not enough applicants would waive/reduce course fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    I heard this rumour about no fees applied to maths too, maybe its a conspiracy to trick people into taking maths without costing the gov.
    I have dug this article out from the Education Guardian, there are others which I don't have time to find at the moment - there may also be some more stuff that's more up-to-date.

http://education.guardian.co.uk/scho...154698,00.html

ReputationRep:
    its a *idea* the government have had.

yes you stil pay fees at the moment if you take maths.

and if your planning on going before 2006 expect to pay it.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    If you become a Maths teacher, the government will give you lots of money (c.£10,000).

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure a friend of mine applying to leeds to do something physicsy got told they would give him extra money (can't remember exactly maybe something like £600 a year) if he got an A in maths. I was very tempted at one point to do a pgce and teach for a bit for the money...then i realised i can't stand children.

ReputationRep:
    yeh i heard this too-it was Queen Mary University oF London who were really keen on the idea, as they thought that maths is REALLY hard at AS and A2 Level. they said that they think its a good idea, and not only for those who do it till' A2, but also those who drop maths after AS (like me ).
    i think it's a really good idea...

ReputationRep:
    quite a few unis have scholarship type programmes- keele have only recently started maths as a single honours so at the moment if you get an A in maths you get something like £500.

lou xxx

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.