Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Valuing a car with low mileage watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I'm taking my mum's car, it's a 13 year old Ford Zetec but it only has 15,000 miles as she hasn't driven much and lives in London.

She bought it brand new, if I sold it I reckon I could get £3k or so but it's hard to value. Similarly old cars with very good mileage seem to do better than the old car with high mileage but I still don't know.

It's probably best to keep it considering I know it's history, it works perfectly and has been serviced about 9-10 times (she didn't know it only needed to be done once every 3 years or was misled, I prefer to believe the latter).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jawline?)
    Basically, I'm taking my mum's car, it's a 13 year old Ford Zetec but it only has 15,000 miles as she hasn't driven much and lives in London.

She bought it brand new, if I sold it I reckon I could get £3k or so but it's hard to value. Similarly old cars with very good mileage seem to do better than the old car with high mileage but I still don't know.

It's probably best to keep it considering I know it's history, it works perfectly and has been serviced about 9-10 times (she didn't know it only needed to be done once every 3 years or was misled, I prefer to believe the latter).
    Depends on the model? Focus? Fiesta? KA? £3k is probably pushing it though. Maybe £2k if its in completely mint condition. But if you're looking for a car yourself, I'd keep it as you know the history!

As for the servicing thing, it is usual to service it either every year or 10,000 miles, whichever comes sooner.

ReputationRep:
    Often low mileage is worse than high mileage
    Lots of stops and starts on a cold engine wears the car out more than high motorway usage.
    All cars need servicing every year just to keep an eye on small faults.

I bought a low mileage car and it wa a heap of trouble as it was mainly used for the short school run, then parked up. Big mistake.

However, it being a family car means the history is known but do not kid yourself that low mileage makes it worth more than high mileage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Depends on the model? Focus? Fiesta? KA? £3k is probably pushing it though. Maybe £2k if its in completely mint condition. But if you're looking for a car yourself, I'd keep it as you know the history!

As for the servicing thing, it is usual to service it either every year or 10,000 miles, whichever comes sooner.
    Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.4l.

Tbh, I'm not exactly gonna get much of an upgrade, so I guess it really isn't worth selling

ReputationRep:
    On a car like a FIesta or Focus of that era, a guide would be the market value of one with normal mileage plus 10-15% depending if the car really is in mint condition and doesn't have anything tatty about it.

ReputationRep:
    Average mileage is 14k per year. So on something that is 13 years old you would expect the mileage to be somewhere between 150 and 200k
    From what you've said it's been well serviced - really a car wants servicing at least every year. Additive packages break down in oil so for what it costs to drop the oil, fill with fresh and fit a new air and oil filters you may as well get it done every 12 months.

Fiesta's are very simple cars so there's not a right lot to go wrong. Things that may be knacked due to age rather than use are things like the exhaust system and suspension bushes. Again, very cheap to put right.

If your only interest in cars is as a means to get from A to B I can't think of a good reason for parting with it.
    Value wise it's somewhere in the region of £2k - £2.5k The fact that you know who's owned it and how they have driven it is a major plus point.

Presumably the body is quite tidy? If so, it sound like you've got a nice little car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Average mileage is 14k per year. So on something that is 13 years old you would expect the mileage to be somewhere between 150 and 200k
    From what you've said it's been well serviced - really a car wants servicing at least every year. Additive packages break down in oil so for what it costs to drop the oil, fill with fresh and fit a new air and oil filters you may as well get it done every 12 months.

Fiesta's are very simple cars so there's not a right lot to go wrong. Things that may be knacked due to age rather than use are things like the exhaust system and suspension bushes. Again, very cheap to put right.

If your only interest in cars is as a means to get from A to B I can't think of a good reason for parting with it.
    Value wise it's somewhere in the region of £2k - £2.5k The fact that you know who's owned it and how they have driven it is a major plus point.

Presumably the body is quite tidy? If so, it sound like you've got a nice little car.
    Yeah it is quite tidy. And yeah, come to think of it it does look new tbh.

For £2.5k I'm not gonna get much of an upgrade am I (taking insurance into consideration).

I've not driven it yet but from what I've heard Ford Fiesta Zetecs from that era are a bit sporty? Although I don't want it to be too sporty tbh. Want a nice safe ride for a couple of years to build some NCB.

Have you driven this type before? My mum won't let me in until I pass :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jawline?)
    Yeah it is quite tidy. And yeah, come to think of it it does look new tbh.

For £2.5k I'm not gonna get much of an upgrade am I (taking insurance into consideration).

I've not driven it yet but from what I've heard Ford Fiesta Zetecs from that era are a bit sporty? Although I don't want it to be too sporty tbh. Want a nice safe ride for a couple of years to build some NCB.

Have you driven this type before? My mum won't let me in until I pass :/
    It's a hatchback with a little engine. There won't be anything "sporty" about it.
    It's designed to get the average person from a to b in relitive comfort and that's exactly what it'll do.

If you want a sports car I'm afraid you'll have to buy one and you certainly won't be getting anything with the sort of mileage and history of what you have now for that kind of money.

Accept it for what it is. Presumably this is to be your first car? If so, it'll do you fine for a couple of years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    It's a hatchback with a little engine. There won't be anything "sporty" about it.
    It's designed to get the average person from a to b in relitive comfort and that's exactly what it'll do.

If you want a sports car I'm afraid you'll have to buy one and you certainly won't be getting anything with the sort of mileage and history of what you have now for that kind of money.

Accept it for what it is. Presumably this is to be your first car? If so, it'll do you fine for a couple of years.
    Yeah it'll do

Just want my licence first tbh.

I'm working so there won't be much time to drive a nice car anyway haha

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 19, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.