Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm really enjoying it at GCSE so far and I did really well in my coursework.

However I'm not a big reader. I'll read a good book if I find one but I don't go to the library to read Charles Dickens etc.

The lessons have made books I thought would be boring really interesting actually. We truly see how the characters really feel and why they use particular words.

I am very strong in the subject so far and I believe if I added some more work into it for A levels I'll be fine.

Will it be a problem if I'm not a big reader?

My english teacher is an excellent teacher and he said no not really because you have to stop and annotate every time.

However when I spoke to an english teacher at a college open day she didn't seem too sure about me studying english literature after I told her I'm not a big reader.

I'm thinking of studying Chemistry, Biology and Maths so far. Will it be a problem for those subjects?

Also if you have studied/study English Literature can you tell me what it's like?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, because I think what made me good at English lit, is because I had loved reading from a young age to my late teens when doing A levels. Anything from novels to non-fiction to the broadsheets, I had developed an interest in all types of literature and that made me more aware and insightful when it came to picking apart novels and then writing about them...do you enjoy writing, cos I think history is like a subject where you focus on analysis, but you don't have to go around a whole book, well you do, but its textbooks if you're doing it at A level, so its like science but like literature, it meets you in the middle.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why you're taking Chemistry, Biology, and Maths if you're planning to go for English literature. Those are tough subjects, and you only need them if you want to go into some kind of Science field. You may have been told they were more rigorous and would help you get into a University, but they mostly help if you're doing a Science course. English Literature is Arts and Humanities, totally different expectations. Surely they don't expect English majors to do Maths...

You'd probably be better off taking English language or English Literature, History, and Psychology for English literature. Maybe things like Politics, Philosophy, or Creative Writing. Those are really easy, interesting subjects.

If by some chance you're really good at Maths and Science to the point that you find those subjects easy, you should really consider a STEM subject. A lot of people want to do STEM subjects and can't because Calculus and Physics knock them out of the running before they even get started.

ReputationRep:
    If you love it then why not? Your teacher has offered you his/her advice and they know you better than anyone on tsr. As far as I know if you wanted to do English Lit at University your other STEM subjects will not be a disadvantage to you. Don't be prompted to study other humanities or essay subjects just because you want to do English Lit, if you don't enjoy them there is really no point. I think you will be fine, it is a subject I regret not choosing

(Original post by geniequeen48)
    I'm really enjoying it at GCSE so far and I did really well in my coursework.

However I'm not a big reader. I'll read a good book if I find one but I don't go to the library to read Charles Dickens etc.

The lessons have made books I thought would be boring really interesting actually. We truly see how the characters really feel and why they use particular words.

I am very strong in the subject so far and I believe if I added some more work into it for A levels I'll be fine.

Will it be a problem if I'm not a big reader?

My english teacher is an excellent teacher and he said no not really because you have to stop and annotate every time.

However when I spoke to an english teacher at a college open day she didn't seem too sure about me studying english literature after I told her I'm not a big reader.

I'm thinking of studying Chemistry, Biology and Maths so far. Will it be a problem for those subjects?

Also if you have studied/study English Literature can you tell me what it's like?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    OP is asking whether they should study English Literature only up to A-Level, not at university, I believe.

I currently study English Lit at A-Level and I'd have to say enjoying reading is an advantage but not a necessity. It is beneficial, in some cases, to do wider reading of novels/plays/etc to provide context in analysis to the text you are studying. If you can read through set texts multiple times and make detailed notes on them then I don't see why you can't do the subject at A-Level. I'd say it's a requirement to enjoy reading to study it beyond Level 3 but a simple passion for analysis will get you fairly far initially.

Honestly, you just need to be able to suffer through/really enjoy reading through the texts multiple times and have the ability to memorise quotes and analyse etc.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that being a lover of classics is not necessary to study the subject at A-Level. The only wider reading I do, except contextual reading, is in the genre of teen fiction.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I study English Literature and I chose it because I have always enjoyed reading from a young age. When it comes to the exams, books are split into different categories. Prose, Poetry, and Shakespeare and maybe one more? Depending on exam board, you will have to read one classic book and I think a passion for reading helps because you can understand a book better, a lot of people choose the subject because they enjoy reading. And you will do a lot of reading and annotating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremy1988)
    I don't understand why you're taking Chemistry, Biology, and Maths if you're planning to go for English literature. Those are tough subjects, and you only need them if you want to go into some kind of Science field. You may have been told they were more rigorous and would help you get into a University, but they mostly help if you're doing a Science course. English Literature is Arts and Humanities, totally different expectations. Surely they don't expect English majors to do Maths...

You'd probably be better off taking English language or English Literature, History, and Psychology for English literature. Maybe things like Politics, Philosophy, or Creative Writing. Those are really easy, interesting subjects.

If by some chance you're really good at Maths and Science to the point that you find those subjects easy, you should really consider a STEM subject. A lot of people want to do STEM subjects and can't because Calculus and Physics knock them out of the running before they even get started.
    No its cos I want to go into a science field in the future but for my extra subject that wouldnt relate to them I'd want to do english literature as an a level. I can't find something else that interests me for the fourth A level.

I know you can only choose 3 A levels instead but I want to stick with 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    No its cos I want to go into a science field in the future but for my extra subject that wouldnt relate to them I'd want to do english literature as an a level. I can't find something else that interests me for the fourth A level.

I know you can only choose 3 A levels instead but I want to stick with 4.
    Oh, I see. Well, in that case, I think it's definitely a good subject to choose in order to balance things out. As long as you're interested in it, there's no reason not to do it. After all, if you're going for a Science course anyway, you end up doing really well in the other three, and you somehow do badly at English Literature, I think they'll see that you're talented in the areas that count.

But given that you find it interesting, I doubt you'll do badly at English Literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremy1988)
    Oh, I see. Well, in that case, I think it's definitely a good subject to choose in order to balance things out. As long as you're interested in it, there's no reason not to do it. After all, if you're going for a Science course anyway, you end up doing really well in the other three, and you somehow do badly at English Literature, I think they'll see that you're talented in the areas that count.

But given that you find it interesting, I doubt you'll do badly at English Literature.
    Okay thank you so much and everyone else too!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.