Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I want to finalise my A level choices so that when I do start applying in November I'll be confident in what I choose. The question is should I do A level maths and further maths?

From year 7-9 I was in the second set for maths (most likely to achieve a B/A at the end of year 11). However, at the end of year 9 I put the work in and managed to achieve a high 8b which progressed me to the first set (most likely achieve an A/A* at the end of year 11) at the start of year 10 last year. Currently I am still in the first set and am predicted an A* but judging from my past in maths is A level maths and further maths for me or should I consider different subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stars14)
    Basically I want to finalise my A level choices so that when I do start applying in November I'll be confident in what I choose. The question is should I do A level maths and further maths?

From year 7-9 I was in the second set for maths (most likely to achieve a B/A at the end of year 11). However, at the end of year 9 I put the work in and managed to achieve a high 8b which progressed me to the first set (most likely achieve an A/A* at the end of year 11) at the start of year 10 last year. Currently I am still in the first set and am predicted an A* but judging from my past in maths is A level maths and further maths for me or should I consider different subjects?
    It really depends whether you enjoy the subject. If you do, just go for it. I was in set 2 at GCSE and got an A* in the end, then this year I got an A in AS maths and further maths and predicted A*s for A2. I have a friend who was in the 4th set at GCSE and surprised everyon by getting an A* and then doing really well in maths and further maths. Basically, if you think you enjoy maths, go for it. But just be aware, you have to really like the subject, because you'll basically spend all your evenings and weekends doing hours of maths, so it's only worth it if you really like the subject!

ReputationRep:
    Maths is the only subject I most enjoy and actually look forward too. It's also one of my strongest along with English. Thanks for your opinion I think I'll do maths and further maths after all

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.