Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Got a video interview with a top 12 investment bank and of course the question why do you want to work for us will come up.

I always find this question very cringeworthy. They obviously know that all their applicants are applying for all their competitors, and therefore there is nothing about the uniqueness of the bank in itself in most cases that appeals to the individual. I find it very difficult to force a lie on this .... I can lie about other things but the thought of working up some utter cheesy passage like 'ye i really see your values in my every day life and am impressed by your vision' or some cheesy **** like that makes me want to puke.

Furthermore let's be honest - people who go into banking are largely doing it for the rewards. I mean, reading about the bank who I have an interview with, all I see is corruption, fraud and deceit! I ind it quite demoralising if I'm being honest. Why would anyone rightfully want to work for any of these banks? Yet the rewards are great and I'm someone who loves working 24/7.

Anyways what is a good way of answering this question with some sense of honesty and without sounding like everybody else?

ReputationRep:
    Just be 'Enronesque' and say "You pay better than the others".

ReputationRep:
    Based on your OP, I think the real question you should be asking yourself is: why do I want to be in this career at all? If you find the BS of flattering a company in interview a horrific prospect, how are you going to deal with the overarching ethos of BS that will encapsulate your entire career in IB?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't have to be cheesy but my advice may be vaguely bull****ty. Basically what i do is look at the what makes the bank different from the other famous ones. So if you're talking to JP morgan, say its size. If it's deutsche bank, say its reputaiton in europe. If it's barclays then talk about them buying the lehmann assets

ReputationRep:
    The question "Why us?" is not really the question at graduate level. It's a proxy for "has this person done sufficient preparation?".

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.