Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone.

I will soon enough be choosing my GCSEs in February and I am sure a lot of you will too. So I am just curious what you will be choosing and what people who have done GCSEs already did choose and their opinions on certain subjects. I would like to point out first of all that I live in Northern Ireland so the main examining board is CCEA so things may be different and NI Year 10 is equivalent to English Year 9 etc. So far the subjects that are mandatory for me are:
    English
    English Literature
    Maths (I am quite good at it so I am hoping to get into a Further Maths class)
    and Religious Education (I think this is Religious Studies in England/Wales)

We also have to choose from a MFL (I'm hoping to do French) and either Double or Triple Science (I haven't decided what to choose yet)

This leaves room for 2 or 3 optional subjects which I am hoping to choose OCR Computer Science (CCEA doesn't offer it yet so this is what my school uses) and History.

I would love to hear what you will be choosing or have chosen and your opinions on different subjects

ReputationRep:
    I am taking my GCSEs next year and I'm doing:
    Maths (and Further Maths)
    English Lang.
    English Lit.
    Triple Sciences
    French
    German
    Textiles
    Latin
    Geography

My favourite subjects are Biology, Maths and languages and my least favourite is English

ReputationRep:
    Hallo ;w;

For my GCSE's I chose:
    - Computer Science
    - Geography
    - French
    - Food Tech

For the geography option it was out of history, and french was the language I was doing in year 7-11.

I would definitely recommend doing computer science, as it taught me so much about computers (and if you asked me 3 years ago, before my options, I would have flopped on the floor and cried.) But now, I am the one telling my family about the errors and software on a computer. In the curriculum, (it could be different, but I'm doing OCR also) we have done Python and Linux as controlled assessments, and for the theory side of things you learn binary, components of a computer, networking etc~
    It might take a while to get used to all the terminology used, but as soon as you start learning logically it's a piece of cake.
    The skills taught are of great value also, as everything is becoming digital.

as for food tech
    it was a big mistake as I want to pursue a career in either IT or Animation. So, I am not going to give my opinion on this subject XD.

Just remember, that most college/6th form courses require C's or above, and 5 of them. So, pick subjects that you love and try and get good grades in all of your subjects!

I am in year 11 so this is how I know all of this info~

But, good luck for the future!

ReputationRep:
    Do triple science, i didnt have the choice on that matter as its based on which group your in (only top group got to do triple, im in second) but it really makes applying for science A-Levels easier. I got to pick 3 subjects and i chose: History ( this was first chosen in year 9 and it was out of history or geography), Business and ICT. Business is very good down to earth subject and pretty easy. ICT on the other hand is currently living hell, the coursework is so hard that nobody in the class has over a D and we have to and it in next week. They are going to phase out this coursework next year though. Im in Year 11 and im currently looking at colleges ( im thinking about Business, Maths with Mechnics/Statistics and Computer Science. The problem with this college im looking at is as its 7th in the country its entry requirements are 6 Bs which i could just about get. Hope you choose well, if anything lets me down in terms of grades for college its going to be ICT.

ReputationRep:
    I am an A2 now so last year of Alevels. At GCSE i did, all the compulsory subjects and chose History, and Food technology - history generally because i liked it in my other years of learning it and cooking because i always enjoyed it and thought it would be a fun class.

My advice would be not to stress too much over it, colleges often don't care what subject you pick, just the grade. So pick something that you really like, or think you will enjoy. Also it's always good to consider what you are good at.

Do not pick something that you think you have to do - e.g. to get onto a course, the only time i'd advise that is if you were certain of what you want to do further along the line e.g. do gcse history if you wanted to do history at university. However, i'm applying for Psychology this year at university and this wasn't a subject at GCSE for me (or any schools really) just to show you that it should'nt matter too much at all.

The more important decisions come later on, and even then it isn't too bad because many people who do psychology at uni haven't even taken the subject at Alevel. Of course this stage in your life is important i'm not saying it's not at all, i'm just showing you that no matter what you pick it'll be fine and it'll all work out so really don't worry too much about it at all, and if you are really struggling, talk to your subject teachers!

ReputationRep:
    I did my GCSEs a few years ago (I recently finished my A Levels!), but I took the following:

Maths
    English Language
    English Literature
    RE
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics

As well as these options:

German
    Geography
    ICT

My favourite subject was Geography, and I'm actually looking into a Geography/Geography and Geology degree at the moment

ReputationRep:
    Hello there. I am a year eleven student and the subjects I study are as follows:
    Triple science (Chemistry, Biology and Physics)
    History
    Computer Science
    Physical Education and of course all the other compulsory subjects.
    I encourage you to take Computer Science. You will find it easy since you are good at Maths and the coding part is easy to get the hang of. I personally find it very interesting and it is one of those subjects that have a very bright future. History has a lot of content to learn (my school does the American West and Medicine) but again, I enjoy it and find it interesting; some parts of history link in with biology. Definitely do triple science as they will open many doors for you in the future. Regardless of what people may say, it's not that hard as long as you are doing a decent amount of revision. PE is probably the only subject I regret picking since the grade boundaries are very high, Good luck with your options!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. My school only has 45 periods a week and the core subjects take up 20. Then French, History and Computer Science take up 5 each bringing the total to 35. This means I have only 10 periods to study my Science classes for and 1 GCSE = 5 periods. So I think it would be best for me to study Double Award Science so all my subjects are well rounded and not too mathematical overall. Plus my school has assured me that even if I go to do science at A-Level doing Triple is an advantage but not a huge one

ReputationRep:
    I would do computer science. I think you'll find it interesting, and you will have a good head start with it if you are good at maths.

My other subject was Art, but I doubt that's something you'll be interested in.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm in Year 11 - I did Computing (also with OCR), German and Graphics last year and I'm doing Geography and History this year

Computer Science is brilliant - I loved it last year and now I'd like to do it at university - it's really interesting, and maths ties into the binary and programming parts of the course, so I'd certainly recommend it.

History is interesting too and it gives you really good experience with writing essays - it's always good to have these kinds of subjects along with scientific ones as it keeps you well-rounded. Languages are fun and always useful to have, so doing French is definitely a good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andromedic)
    Hey, I'm in Year 11 - I did Computing (also with OCR), German and Graphics last year and I'm doing Geography and History this year

Computer Science is brilliant - I loved it last year and now I'd like to do it at university - it's really interesting, and maths ties into the binary and programming parts of the course, so I'd certainly recommend it.

History is interesting too and it gives you really good experience with writing essays - it's always good to have these kinds of subjects along with scientific ones as it keeps you well-rounded. Languages are fun and always useful to have, so doing French is definitely a good idea
    Thanks I'm trying my best to keep my subjects well-rounded

ReputationRep:
    For the love of god do not pick art. It is way too subjective and time consuming. Just take that advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usingnamespace)
    For the love of god do not pick art. It is way too subjective and time consuming. Just take that advice.
    Art was a consideration for me but I don't think I'm going to do it. I'm not good at doing things for prolonged lengths of time especially drawing and painting

ReputationRep:
    Do NOT take art. My GCSE is 4 months away and I'm 2 years behind on coursework 😞

ReputationRep:
    i made the mistake of taking art.

it's just been half a term and i'm feeling the pressure :unimpressed::unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm in year 10 and currently do the following subjects:

English Literature and Language
    Maths and the free standing maths qualification
    Triple science
    French
    Geography
    Business Studies
    Computer Science (OCR)
    Product Design.

I would really encourage you to take CS if it is something you are interested in! I am a massive Raspberry Pi and programming geek (know 7 languages) and it is just an awesome subject as you do loads of problem solving and logic. I see it as really the only future career path as it is just so interesting and it makes you see the world differently. For example, I bore my whole family correcting all the things television shows get wrong instead of actually watching the program! It's also really cool as the subject is always changing with the invention of new devices like 3D printers. With regards to history, my sister did AQA which was the American West and Medicine through time which didn't really seem that relevant or easy when it came to revising, as opposed to the syllabuses that did modern history such as the world wars etc. All I can say is that it really depends on what you are interested in and enjoy. Good luck!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.