Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Further Maths? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Should I do further maths? I want to do maths or something similar at university, and I heard further maths is extremely difficult and it is covered in the first year of uni anyway, so should I take the risk? Also, what other subjects should I take? I'm looking to become an actuary however I want to do a maths degree to keep my options open and it is preferred anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meetm99)
    Should I do further maths? I want to do maths or something similar at university, and I heard further maths is extremely difficult and it is covered in the first year of uni anyway, so should I take the risk? Also, what other subjects should I take? I'm looking to become an actuary however I want to do a maths degree to keep my options open and it is preferred anyway
    Good unis will want Further Maths so do check out the ones you are interested in.

Personally I would recommend F Maths as it complements the Maths A level. It is not that difficult and it gives you a lot of flexibility in the modules you can take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Good unis will want Further Maths so do check out the ones you are interested in.

Personally I would recommend F Maths as it complements the Maths A level. It is not that difficult and it gives you a lot of flexibility in the modules you can take.
    Thanks a lot! But is it recommended or is it essential

ReputationRep:
    Essential for some courses - check the unis you are interested in.

I'd recommend it as it's easier to learn the stuff in school rather than very rapidly at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Where are you looking at applying? I would wholeheartedly recommend you do take it if you are able, but whether it is recommended or essential varies by uni. For most "top" unis it is essential unless it is not offered by your college ("preferred" in entrance requirements generally means "you better have it"). Warwick it is essential full stop.

ReputationRep:
    When I first started reading this i thought you might be interested in an engineering or economics degree, something that requires quite heavy duty maths in which case I would recommend FM. Then I read you want to do maths... it should pretty much be a requirement. Why would you be willing to not do something because you think it will be hard, when you want to take a degree in it two years later?

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely take it if you are interested in doing Maths at uni, if you want to do it at uni it shouldnt be much of a burden at A Level, as hopefully you already like it. There is more pros to having A level FM than cons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    When I first started reading this i thought you might be interested in an engineering or economics degree, something that requires quite heavy duty maths in which case I would recommend FM. Then I read you want to do maths... it should pretty much be a requirement. Why would you be willing to not do something because you think it will be hard, when you want to take a degree in it two years later?
    Yup, I guess that's true, I just was just thinking that if I got low grades in FM than I would not be able to pursue any good degree let alone maths. BTW, maths is one of my two options, the second being medicine. Want to keep my options open.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I guess that's true, I just was just thinking that if I got low grades in FM than I would not be able to pursue any good degree let alone maths. BTW, maths is one of my two options, the second being medicine. Want to keep my options open.
    FM keeps as many doors open as any of the other sciences (though Chem is a requirement for medicine). FM is also a lot easier than everyone makes up- AS level is barely noticable from the single maths modules, its just new content as oppose to hard content. FM A2 is a lot harder, but with a firm foundation at AS is entirely doable.

ReputationRep:
    If you are planning on doing a maths degree, you should definitely do further maths. If your school offers further maths and you don't take it, I would wonder why, as if you were truly passionate about maths as a subject you would. Universities might be the same in that case. I'm doing further maths, and it is more complicated than regular maths, but it does increase your understanding and makes A level maths easy.

Which universities are you looking at. I haven't looked at a pure maths degree, but I'm assuming that maths is a definite and most would prefer/ask for further maths as well. If you might want to be an actuary, economics comes to mind (though again, look at requirements). If you want to keep your options open with the sciences, choose physics or chemistry, as they are more likely to be required for degree courses than biology unless you are going to study biology (maths, further maths and physics is a good combo for engineering, for example). Some of the social sciences only have grade requirements rather than subject requirements, so as long as you get good grades you will be able to go into law for example without doing any specific subjects.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bioeng98)
    If you are planning on doing a maths degree, you should definitely do further maths. If your school offers further maths and you don't take it, I would wonder why, as if you were truly passionate about maths as a subject you would. Universities might be the same in that case. I'm doing further maths, and it is more complicated than regular maths, but it does increase your understanding and makes A level maths easy.

Which universities are you looking at. I haven't looked at a pure maths degree, but I'm assuming that maths is a definite and most would prefer/ask for further maths as well. If you might want to be an actuary, economics comes to mind (though again, look at requirements). If you want to keep your options open with the sciences, choose physics or chemistry, as they are more likely to be required for degree courses than biology unless you are going to study biology (maths, further maths and physics is a good combo for engineering, for example). Some of the social sciences only have grade requirements rather than subject requirements, so as long as you get good grades you will be able to go into law for example without doing any specific subjects.

Hope this helps.
    Yup very helpful, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely do it, you can always drop it if you can't cope. Plus, it will help you work out whether you definitely want to do a maths degree, seeing as a degree in the subject is pretty heavy. Personally, doing further maths has confirmed that I really love maths, but that a maths degree would just be too much for me. I'm applying to do physics at uni

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.