Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I am filling in my Cambridge SAQ and I need some grammar advice.
    I am saying that I prefer the cambridge course because........., would i need to use a capital letter for The or course?
    help would be appreciated
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lfcrules)
    Hello
    I am filling in my Cambridge SAQ and I need some grammar advice.
    I am saying that I prefer the cambridge course because........., would i need to use a capital letter for The or course?
    help would be appreciated
    thanks
    Perhaps try "I would prefer the opportunity to study [course] at Cambridge because..."
    You could consider scrapping the word 'prefer' altogether, it sounds rather half-hearted. Try "The opportunity to study [course] at Cambridge is important to me because..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineneedles)
    Perhaps try "I would prefer the opportunity to study [course] at Cambridge because..."
    You could consider scrapping the word 'prefer' altogether, it sounds rather half-hearted. Try "The opportunity to study [course] at Cambridge is important to me because..."
    Thankyou for your response , I've also written Detailed knowledge of the human body and how it malfunctions is not only key in understanding diseases patients may present with in a clinical setting, but it also better prepares students who chose to go into medical research - a field which I do not currently wish to enter, but I am certainly open to.

does this make sense? i wasnt sure how to phrase the last line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lfcrules)
    Thankyou for your response , I've also written Detailed knowledge of the human body and how it malfunctions is not only key in understanding the diseases patients may present with in a clinical setting, but it also better prepares students who chose to go into medical research - a field which I do not currently wish to enter, but I am certainly open to.

does this make sense? i wasnt sure how to phrase the last line.
    You're welcome I'd just like to add though that I'm not experienced in this, I'm just giving my opinion.
    I think the last line would sound better if you said something along the lines of: "...but it would also better prepare me if I choose a career in medical research in the future."
    By rephrasing this line, you're relating the course to you and what you want to do rather than suggesting how the course may benefit another student. The latter sounds a bit impersonal. This is also more succinct and you still imply the fact that you're considering life after the course and different career choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineneedles)
    You're welcome I'd just like to add though that I'm not experienced in this, I'm just giving my opinion.
    I think the last line would sound better if you said something along the lines of: "...but it would also better prepare me if I choose a career in medical research in the future."
    By rephrasing this line, you're relating the course to you and what you want to do rather than suggesting how the course may benefit another student. The latter sounds a bit impersonal. This is also more succinct and you still imply the fact that you're considering life after the course and different career choices.
    Thank you very much , that does sound a lot better!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.